Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Corona, CA Nissan dealer Lied To Me... Help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Go ahead... try me

Corona, CA Nissan dealer Lied To Me... Help !!!!

Hello..

I just bought my FIRST Maxima on 6/21/08. It's a 2004 SL model, pearl white, etc. Prior to purchasing it from a private party, I took it to the Nissan Dealer in Corona, CA, which was close to the seller's house. I personally live in San Diego, CA (over 2 hrs away south). I told them there was a noticeable rattling/ticking sound at cold start up, then goes away after the car warms up. They told me to leave the car for 3-4 hours for the "Pre-purchase" inspection and to check the noise out, so I did. After over 3 hours, I went back to the dealer to see the status, and the service guy said "the rattling/ticking noise you hear is a very small timing chain noise... it's nothing you need to worry about... it's nothing big deal" PLUS he added the typical service stuff like rear brakes, etc. Nothing big deal.

Then, I kept asking the service guy... is the timing chain sound serious? Does it need to be replaced? Is it tensioners or guides? Being a Maxima idiot, I believed him when he said... no no.. it's nothing serious... just a "small" noise in the timing chain. I said ok if it's nothing serious, I'll get the car. I told him to write up EVERYTHING that needs replacement with prices. Afterwards, I looked at the invoice and it said "timing chain making small noise" but it wasn't with the rest of what needed maintenance and their prices. Then, I Paid $100 for the inspection and I nagotiated the price down a bit more then paid the seller, signed the paperwork, he took his money, and I took the car back to my house in San Diego. It drove beautiful.. no shakes, sounds or anything (when it's warmed up).

I still had doubts about that sound, so I took it another Nissan dealer by my house today. The service guy calls and tells me... "The timing chain, tensioners and guides will need to be replaced. It's the guides/tensioners that making that noise" ..."That'll cost $2,800 to fix" ...Excuse my lingo, but I got PISSEEDDDDD. What can I do now? I called the Corona dealer and he said "well we wrote it had a small noise" I went off at that Manager and he said he needed to speak to the technician that did the service and he'll call me back tomorrow.

PLEASEEEEE let me know what I can do in this situation???????? Had I known it needed a $2,800 chain... I wouldn't have purchased it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HELP
Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 AM
wat

If its not broke dont fix it...
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why take the word of one stealership over another? The original guy might be right and this 2nd dealer might be the one trying to screw you.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by crabapple
Why take the word of one stealership over another? The original guy might be right and this 2nd dealer might be the one trying to screw you.

You So Cal guys should contact me when you need to purchase a Maxima
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by crabapple
x2

You should have listened to your gut instincts and probably not bought the car. Another one just like is just around the corner.....

But, that's water over the damn now. About all you can do now is get a 3rd and 4th opinion, hoping that they both say the same thing resulting in a 3 to 1 vote on your issue.

Hope it's really nothing major to worry about.

So, what did the Manager say when he called you back?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 AM
brotherhood of tq

shouldnt the car have a warrenty?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Go ahead... try me

Nowwwww you know how i feeeeeelllllll. My mechanic told me to buy warranty, then wait a month or two then take it to a diff Nissan dealer and get it fixed lol ain't that just plain evil. I started shopping around and I found a couple that cover tensioners, etc. I don't know what I should do...either

1) Call BBB and the Nissan 800 number
2) Do what my mechanic suggested.
3) Wait to see what the Corona Dealer does.

I'm just lost.... confused... pissed as hell... you get the idea
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Go ahead... try me

Alllllright..

UPDATE:

1. I called the service manager of Corona Nissan AGAIN, since he never returned my call like he said he would, and He tried nagotiating the issue. He kept trying to make it seem like it's not their fault with the excuse that "the car was warm when dropped off" .. Except I popped his bubble when I said that I left the car there for over 3 hours... which is more than enough time for it to cool down and hear the obviously-bothering noise it makes. He said that he's gonna speak to the lead technician and the dealership owner to "take care of me" with the price it costs to do the service.

2. I contacted the BBB online and filled out a complaint form yesterday about this issue... so we'll see what contact I get from them. I'm guessing since it's a holiday weekend, I won't hear back from them until Monday or Tuesday. I haven't contacted the Nissan Corp. yet... I'm not sure if I should YET....

Any ideas? suggestions? advice?

******* these are copy & paste of the original forum ********

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...d-me-help.html
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Go ahead... try me

UPDATE:
Corona Dealer service Manager called me and said that he'll take off $500.00 off the repair price... I would have to pay $1,800 out of pocket to replace chain, guides, and tensioners. That p!ssed me off even more... We argued, and now I wrote a letter with receipts from both dealers.. and sent it to the BBB and Nissan USA. We'll see what they'll do
Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

cold start rattle is common on the 3.5L and 4.0's. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just leave it alone.

How long does the rattle last when you start the car?

Last edited by maximadave; 07-11-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by maximadave
cold start rattle is common on the 3.5L and 4.0's. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just leave it alone.

How long does the rattle last when you start the car?
Hey bro..

I can tell you this kind of knocking/rattling sound isn't normal. 2-3 friends I have own 6th gen maxi's.. and none sound like this at cold start. It's difinitely something that needs to be replaced. The sound lasts until the car completely warms up. if you drive it for a while then come park it and let it cool for half-hour to an hour, you'll hear the sound for a minute when you start it again. BUT when the car is warmed up and driven... no sounds whatsoever.. completely normal.

I had my own mechanic check it.. and he told me it's either guides, tensioners or the chain itself.. but it's definitely from that area of the engine.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

damn sorry to hear.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Stay away from Corona Nissan! That is all.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Go ahead... try me

Originally Posted by imbrainfever
why do all dealers behave in such a way
'cuz they're blood-sucking vampires. They drain you to the last bit of patience you have. Until now they won't return my calls or even answer the BBB or the Nissan Corp letters and requests. I'll have to fix it on my own elsewhere.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:06 AM

damn that sucks man sorry to head that i dont know what to do about mine either mine sounds like crap and it sucks i hate putting so much money into a car that is so old mine is a 03 and 2k is to much to spend on something like that if i had 2k laying around id try and use to get a new car not fix mine its just not worth it in my opinion. i know how u feel and just keep writing and complaining to the bbb ull get an answer be persistent make them pay i know i would. u paid for a service and they didnt complete now ur screwed because u bought a car that was tested and check by their technishans or how ever u spell that lol but yeah. fight it!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Uh. Well, considering he hasn't updated this thread in almost two years, I'm assuming he must've gotten things worked out, or just gave up..