Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Claying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:22 PM

Claying?

I always have waxed my car once a month. I have heard people talking about claying on here, and I am not familiar with that. What exactly is involved? And how often does this need to be done. Is this one of those things you dont have to do unless the car hasnt been taken care of? Also, where would you get the clay bar and how much is it? Thanks for all help!
Old 06-12-2004, 10:25 PM
VIP Maxima

you can pick up mothers or 3m clay bar at ur local autozone or pepboys. they are about 10-15 bux. claying is good once or twice a year. its a small piece of clay and what it does is that it takes off all the junk and oxidation from the paint and leaves a nice shinny and VERY smooth surface that you gonna love. its a must !

Old 06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Meguiars also makes a Clay Bar kit for about the same $$. I've seen these at Kmart and all the Auto shops. I only wax about 3 times a year and use the bar about once a year. We don't have too many extreme conditions here in NC. If you do try it, do this.... wash the car and then rub your hand over it, then follow the clay bar instructions on an area and check it against a part not done yet. I was blown away by the smoothness. My car is Silver and my friends say I'm **** about keeping it clean but Damn it even made my paint look deep and wet. Well worth it. Sorry for rambling. Be sure to wax afterwards.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:42 PM

Strongly agree with above. Did mine today and man is it smooth and shine like no ones business. I always use Meguirs swirl remover to buff out the car but somehow I got something on the car that wouldn't come off until I clayed. Very easy to use and well worth the $15 and follow up with a good wax to seal the clear.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM

i love claying my car. i use Griot's paint cleaning clay (anyone who has ever been on Griot's (Gree'oze) website or recieved their cataloge knows that they have everything a car enthusiast could ever want...however some of their stuff is overpriced so check around first) while lubricating the surface with very very mild soapy water. Then i polish the paint with Meguiars Professional polish (not sure on the number) and wax with Meguiars Gold class wax. If you think your paint was deep and wet you should check it out after you polish it!!!

Griot's Paint Cleaning Clay - http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11153
Old 06-23-2004, 02:45 PM

yeah popo max i almost passed out when i was done claying let alone when i was done polishing and waxing it i had to sit down i used mothers clay, Meguiars : #9 swirl remover, #7 show car glaze and then #26 hi tech yellow wax and it came out beautiful...i also use final inspection occasionly ...the california duster keeps my car nice and clean during the week...i just started using it and i love it.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:47 PM

ah one other thing..if you decide to clay max20 take your time. also you may want to break the clay into several pieces to be on the safe side. because if you drop the clay you have to throw it away It was my first time claying and i took it slow to assure it was done well. and it was damn good
Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Steve5891
yeah popo max i almost passed out when i was done claying let alone when i was done polishing and waxing it i had to sit down i used mothers clay, Meguiars : #9 swirl remover, #7 show car glaze and then #26 hi tech yellow wax and it came out beautiful...i also use final inspection occasionly ...the california duster keeps my car nice and clean during the week...i just started using it and i love it.
I have never used polish. I have some scratch-x that I haven't used yet. The #'s you metion on the meguiars are they on the bottles? I took a quick look at the stuff in the local autozone and couldn't find anything although my wife was with me and not too enthused about being in an auto parts store.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:42 AM

yeah..the numbers are on the bottles. some places dont carry meguiars professional series products. i got them from a local bodyshop..then later that day i went to pep boys for something and they carried a lot of the professional series products. the pro products are in the beige bottles.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:17 AM
OG and counting...

Claying

One of the most frequent questions I get asked is regarding claying. Many people ask if it's a necessary step and what benefit they get from it.

The best way for me to describe it is by using your own skin as an example. Your skin, like a car's paint is under assault from the elements each and every day. In order to remove the dead skin cells from your skin (exfoliation), you need something to lift the dead skin cells from your skin to expose the new skin underneath.
Many people use the "poof" or a loofa to remove dead skin.

Well, the act of claying your car is similar to exfoliating your skin. Claying removes embedded contaminants from the paint surface, making the surface very smooth. The clay bar is the automotive version of a loofa.

To use a clay bar:

a) Wash and dry the car throughly
b) In a 2'x2' section, spray the clay lubricant
c) Break off a piece of the clay bar and flatten it into a patty.
d) Take the piece of clay and go over the lubricated area using linear motions until you no longer hear a "scraping" sound or the bar starts to feel slippery across the finish.
d) Dry off the area you just clayed with a microfiber towel.
e) continue to the next section until you complete the car.

* Time Saving Tip

Instead of using the supplied lubricant, start claying the car immediately after the final rinse. When you finish claying the section, dry the car with the MF. You'll notice that you get the same results as if you used the lubricant.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:52 PM

i was under the impression that the previous layer of wax should be removed first (using dishwashing liquid). then clay while car is still wet. wash car again using car wash soap. then scratch remover. then wax.

this looks like an 8 hour job right there...
Old 06-26-2004, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by InfiniLover
i was under the impression that the previous layer of wax should be removed first (using dishwashing liquid). then clay while car is still wet. wash car again using car wash soap. then scratch remover. then wax.

this looks like an 8 hour job right there...
No doubt this will take up much of your day. Your car will look great though. I clayed my 96 a couple weeks ago and still happy with the smoothness of the paint
Old 06-27-2004, 04:03 PM

So let me get this straight. You wash and dry car. then you follow steps in claying your car kinda like waxing from what I hear. Then after the claying, you still have to wax it also. Now a couple people were saying something about a polish. Is then when you wash and dry, then clay, then polish, then wax? Im a little confused, sorry.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:57 PM

I think the clay takes the wax off your car. So you should re-apply after to get that nice protective coating back.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Max20SE00
So let me get this straight. You wash and dry car. then you follow steps in claying your car kinda like waxing from what I hear. Then after the claying, you still have to wax it also. Now a couple people were saying something about a polish. Is then when you wash and dry, then clay, then polish, then wax? Im a little confused, sorry.
Yes thats the right order
Wash Dry Clay Polish Wax