Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Commerical "Do It Yourself" Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Commerical "Do It Yourself" Car Washes

I am stuck living in an apartment that lacks the luxury of a place to wash my car. So...I try to wash it often at a place that lets you use a "high pressure wand" and "foaming bush" and do it yourself for a couple dolllars? I want to clean it often, but is the high pressure spray bad? What about the chemicals at these places....spray on wax, tire cleaner, etc. Am I doing my damage then help to my car?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:48 AM

ive heard some ppl say the high pressure washer things can damage the paint on ur over a LONG period of time, but I kinda think its BS. If its one of those things that u press the button and the pressure increases, just dont press the button, it still shoots pretty hard. i only used the spray on wax once and it didnt really do anything, so i didnt use it again. the tire cleaner is alright, just buy some of ur own, works better.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it might dent the car. Did you see the Saturn commercial with the dentless body? Well, they were showing a high pressure hose spray it as well as a cart hitting the car and there were no dents. i guess they're trying to say that the high pressure will cause dents?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by AirPilot8004
I am stuck living in an apartment that lacks the luxury of a place to wash my car. So...I try to wash it often at a place that lets you use a "high pressure wand" and "foaming bush" and do it yourself for a couple dolllars? I want to clean it often, but is the high pressure spray bad? What about the chemicals at these places....spray on wax, tire cleaner, etc. Am I doing my damage then help to my car?
I was in the same position as you a little while back. I think the high pressure wand is fine as long as you don't get real close to the paint. Here is what I did and found it to be quick and easy. I tend to go when the self wash is not busy. I bring my own bucket, car soap, sponge and cleaners. I put in the first payment till the spray starts and spray down the car to prerinse and fill up the bucket (without the high power spray, unless you want to get soaked) and hang up the wand and let the timer run out. Then I soap down the whole car as if I were washing at home. I wouldn't use the foaming brush because you never know what it washed before, not to mention the scratch potential. Finish up washing and put some more quarters in and hose her down. I don't think to much of the spray wax at those places, but the spotless water spray seems to work ok. Then I pull out and find a shady spot to dry her off. Cost about $4.00 or so depending on the place and it take about the same amount of time, but no scratches from the brush.

Hope that helps a little!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:43 PM

i used to be in the same position and i did exactly what Link112 did. i recomend that or making some new friends who have a big driveway and a place to hook up your hose!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:54 AM

Self-service car wash places are fine. Don't use the high-pressure spray, and definitely don't use the foaming brush. Just bring a bucket, wash mitt, soap, and towels and only use the final rinse setting.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The foaming brush is good for tires only. I'll use it on the wheels occasionally. Take the spray hose and rinse the brush off really well to get rid of any grit in there, and then its ok for the rims. Its never OK for the paint.

I'll go in when its quiet with my own bucket and wash mitt. I pull the car out as soon as I'm done to dry it. That way I'm not taking up a bay that could be used for the next guy waiting.

Of course most of the time I do this all at home. I do love the high pressure hose for getting rid of all the bugs I've caught in the front of the car.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:36 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by Link112
I was in the same position as you a little while back. I think the high pressure wand is fine as long as you don't get real close to the paint. Here is what I did and found it to be quick and easy. I tend to go when the self wash is not busy. I bring my own bucket, car soap, sponge and cleaners. I put in the first payment till the spray starts and spray down the car to prerinse and fill up the bucket (without the high power spray, unless you want to get soaked) and hang up the wand and let the timer run out. Then I soap down the whole car as if I were washing at home. I wouldn't use the foaming brush because you never know what it washed before, not to mention the scratch potential. Finish up washing and put some more quarters in and hose her down. I don't think to much of the spray wax at those places, but the spotless water spray seems to work ok. Then I pull out and find a shady spot to dry her off. Cost about $4.00 or so depending on the place and it take about the same amount of time, but no scratches from the brush.

Hope that helps a little!
you are my car wash twin !!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:38 PM
VIP Maxima

Originally Posted by Dude_9303
making some new friends who have a big driveway and a place to hook up your hose!

lol no u didnt just say that !

Old 06-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Hooooooonda.....

The pressure in those things isn't high enough to dent the body. It's the brush I'd be worried about. That thing scratches your car more and more everytime you use it.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:49 PM

I would think that the high pressure would push sand, dirt, grime down into your paint and across it from the force of the water and cause scratching. You think?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Handsome

I use the pay and spray washes and they work fine. Spray the whole car down with high pressure wash, then spray the foam brush enough to clean it. Let the suds from the foam brush develop enough (as in don't turn the setting to "Foam Brush" then immediatly start using it) before you start using it. Do not use swirl motions with the foam brush, rather move it back and fourth in the same direction that wind flows over your car, save the wheels and tires for the end of course. Use the high pressure wash again to remove all the soap and remove some of the now loose dirt, then rinse the whole car. Last spray with spot free rinse.

I hate to touch my paint so I will usually take the car for a quick spin to blow some of the water off. Then I pat the water drops with a 100% terry cloth towel and never drag anything across it. For any water spots that have developed I use a quick detailing spray. Next is polish and wax unless I am doing my 6 month paint cleaning routine.