Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

2002 Maxima engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2002 Maxima engine cleaning

Greetings--

I took the engine cover off today and it was filthy in there. Is it safe to clean with a high pressure washer and Simple Green? There are several elecrical wires under the cover and I'm concerned about getting them wet and creating some type of short...Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by dkotanto
Greetings--

I took the engine cover off today and it was filthy in there. Is it safe to clean with a high pressure washer and Simple Green? There are several elecrical wires under the cover and I'm concerned about getting them wet and creating some type of short...Any suggestions?

Thanks
nope, I use to do it all the time. just to be safe go quick with the pressure hose don't stay in one place forcing the water to really get in somewhere. quick side to side or up and down motions.

you should be ok......
Old 12-29-2004, 06:26 PM

Thanks Tek-Niq!
Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 PM

A lot of people use high pressure sprayers to clean engine bays but I refuse to do it. I am especially concerned about customer cars that I detail. I won't take the risk of screwing something up in the engine bay... I do everything by hand.

If you use high pressure, I'd recommend covering up any electrical parts as well as your MAF sensor and air filter.

I've seen engine bays sprayed directly with a hose without any problems other than hard water staining, but just be careful about electrical stuff.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Wat

You dont need "high pressure". A regular garden hose with a sprayer nozzle is more than enough. Also, you will want to use 303 aerospace cleaner. It does not dry the rubber out like other degreasers. They say it should be mixed mild, but I have sprayed it directly on with no ill effects.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 AM

i would be too scared to put water in my engine bay, how does this not affect anything?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can try Electro-Wash Cleaner Degreaser.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM

A good degreaser, a stiff brush and some running water is all you need. I would try and use as little pressure as possible. The brush should do all the work you need to get it clean.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Wat

So long as you dont spray directly into the alternator, and cover the battery terminals, you should be fine
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I use to detail cars for an auction and the only car we had problems with the engine wash were volvos. I sprayed the whole engine on my 02 and didn't cover anything. I didn't put the pressure gun way in the bay but fast side to side moves, and sometimes sprayed oround the sides of the bay where dirt gatters like under the batt and those places that are flat, I hit those spots close.

never had a problem doing that.........
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't use a high pressure washer to clean my customers' engine bays, but I do use a regular hose and Simple Green or another GP. When the engine bay is cool, I first spray it down with SG, let it sit for a minute or two, and then host it off. I don't hose down the alternator or the main electrical equipment necessarily, but it really shouldn't be a problem if they get wet. Then I just run the car for a few minutes to make sure everything is working fine, and sometimes shine it later on depending on the service requested.

Edit: If you aren't going to do it by hand, which I wouldn't bother doing necessarily, I would definitely go with a regular hose instead of a high pressure washer. The pressure washer has more of a chance of disconnecting wires or severing connections I believe.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 PM

I don't think a pressure washer that you would use on a car is going to sever any connections in your engine. However, it does improve the chances of getting water into areas that should not get wet, e.g. coil/sparkplug connections. Just use a good stiff brush for the hard to clean areas. If your not going to take your time and do it right, don't even bother. Spend the time on the exterior/interior of the car.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by schmatt
I don't think a pressure washer that you would use on a car is going to sever any connections in your engine. However, it does improve the chances of getting water into areas that should not get wet, e.g. coil/sparkplug connections. Just use a good stiff brush for the hard to clean areas. If your not going to take your time and do it right, don't even bother. Spend the time on the exterior/interior of the car.
Before I started my own business, I detailed for a Chrysler dealership. We stopped cleaning customers' engine bays without a waiver form because one of the detailers was using a pressure washer on an engine bay and split to wires. It very well could have been a faulty wire or something to begin with though, but that's just where I got that thought from.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by infintishock
Before I started my own business, I detailed for a Chrysler dealership. We stopped cleaning customers' engine bays without a waiver form because one of the detailers was using a pressure washer on an engine bay and split to wires. It very well could have been a faulty wire or something to begin with though, but that's just where I got that thought from.

Back when I was detailing at my local mercedes dealer, theyd use 303 Aerospace cleaner with a regular hose to clean the engine bays. The pressure washer was reserved for Cleaning wheels, wheel wells, and undercarriages.