Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

How to actually buff out scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM

How to actually buff out scratches?

I need to find an answer asap because ill be purchasing a buffer soon.

does anyone know how to actually buff out light scratches? Do you use some sort of chemical/paste/bar/etc that you can buy from autozone with the buffer?

Im really noob at this and i cant seem to find answers on the detailing section.

any professional or experienced advice is appreciated.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Suspension Yoda

Detailing forum > 5th gen forum

for this question, at least
Old 09-04-2005, 09:32 PM

yeah i checked, no answers. wish i was able to use the search option
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM

I do detailing for BMW and I do buff. what you need to do is get rubbing compound. That is a liquid that (although you cannot feel it) has grit in it. You apply some to the scratch, (you can find these things at your local auto parts store) start the machine out slow, than gain speed. you want the machine around 12-1400 RPMS. DO NOT keep the buffer in one spot, as you WILL burn through the paint. move around the scratch slowly, applying light pressure to the buffer. dont buff one area for more than about 20 seconds, give it time to cool than try again. When that scratch is out, you'll need "swirl mark remover" basically the same as rubbing compound. it's much less coarse and will remove any marks caused by the buffer, You will need a foam buffing pad to apply swirl mark remover, and a wool pad is recommended for the rubbing compound (although a foam pad can be used). make sure when you are ready to apply swirl mark remover, you wipe the paint with preferrably a micro-fiber towel to remove any leftover compound. after you use the swirl mark remover, but the car in the sun AND see if you see any "3-d" marks, these are swirls that will appear to be 3-d when you put the car in the sun. If you can see those, you need to put on more swirl mark remover.

here are some tips:
- keep your buffing pads clean, get a toothbrush or something, run the machine upside down and while its spinning, put the brush on the pad.
- Clean out all the crevices after you are finished on the car, most likely compound will get in there.
- keep the buffer off of plastic trim as it will burn it.
- yes, you can buff plastic door moldings and bumpers.
- works great on dull black trim (mirrors, between the glass on the doors, etc) turns dul black into rich, deep black.
- for some scratches and blemishes, you can buy 1500 grit sand paper and sand out the blemish, and buff it like normal (you should get help with that though from expierenced personnel)

ANY more questions, feel free to e-mail me at toyotaTRD33@aol.com
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 AM

oh and also, you need to get the buffer than actually spins around. there are buffers which just basically vibrate and do not spin. you need the one that spins as a drill would spin. the ones that do not spin are called "multi-orbital" buffers. that is to apply and take off wax. not for buffing.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:28 AM

thanks a lot man. i will try it out and get back to you. lots of useful info there.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Y2KmaxSE
oh and also, you need to get the buffer than actually spins around. there are buffers which just basically vibrate and do not spin. you need the one that spins as a drill would spin. the ones that do not spin are called "multi-orbital" buffers. that is to apply and take off wax. not for buffing.
This is VERY bad advice. Rotory's (what he's talking about) take a certain amount of skill to use properly. If used improperly they can easily burn paint or swirl the finish...I won't say anything against Y2KmaxSE as I have not seen his work, but dealerships are notorious for creating horrible finishes (holograms galore) for the simple reason that they hire inexperienced kids without proper training and hand them a rotory without properly training them.

A porter cable 7336 or 7442 (commonly refered to as a PC) would be a much better choice. It's a random orbital polisher which will be much safer for a beginner. There's a common saying in detailing circles that the only way to damage paint with a PC is to drop it on the car. It will take longer than a rotory and will have limits where a rotory could do the job, but it's really the best choice for your situation.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:00 PM

i stongly suggest you use POLISHING COMPOUND as opposed to rubbing compound.. you can very easily ruin your paint job
Old 09-20-2005, 05:58 PM

being as you are a beginner i would recomend a PC. how ever after using a PC for the past year i have found that it just isnt powerful enough for me. i detail cars and boats as a side job, and the pc just doesnt get the work done nearly as fast as a rotory because u have to work an area way longer and the pads are smaller. i have recently bought a rotory and am in the process of converting. i will say the pc was a good starter but i just dont think it has the power to get out a scratch like a rotory.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Terran
This is VERY bad advice. Rotory's (what he's talking about) take a certain amount of skill to use properly. If used improperly they can easily burn paint or swirl the finish...I won't say anything against Y2KmaxSE as I have not seen his work, but dealerships are notorious for creating horrible finishes (holograms galore) for the simple reason that they hire inexperienced kids without proper training and hand them a rotory without properly training them.

A porter cable 7336 or 7442 (commonly refered to as a PC) would be a much better choice. It's a random orbital polisher which will be much safer for a beginner. There's a common saying in detailing circles that the only way to damage paint with a PC is to drop it on the car. It will take longer than a rotory and will have limits where a rotory could do the job, but it's really the best choice for your situation.

The Porter Cable still does an amazing job. When theres spots it cant fix, I just do some wet sanding and run the PC over it with 3M PII RC. I feel thats the perfect combo when taking out deeper scratches. Just as good as using a rotary.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:06 PM
I Broke OT

I'm am just learning the ropes here. What is so good about a buffer? What do you use it for? just to apply wax and such and other polishes? I always wax by hand and love the results. Is there anything a PC can do that I couldn't do by hand? I'm sure it can do anything quicker, but other than that?

Also, I am willing to put in the extra time with a PC rather than what a rotary would take, so that is not a problem. But is there anything that a PC can't do that a rotary can't do? Or can't do as well? If it can do everything a rotary can but just over a longer period of time, I am fine with that.

I'm just wondering what makes: Hand Wax< PC < Rotary true.

Is it just the amount of time a project, or are there results that you can get with a PC/rotary that you will never in your life see with a hand job?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I Broke OT

A porter cable 7336 or 7442 (commonly refered to as a PC) would be a much better choice.
perhaps 7336 or 7424, I believe?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:38 PM
wat

Lets put it this way. Polishing by hand is like trying to remove the paint off a car by hand with simple 600 grit sand paper. The PC is basically the "mudhog" in time saving equipment.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I Broke OT

alright, but that's all it is is a time-saver?
I really have never fully detailed my Max or any other car yet and I am trying to figure all this out so I will be ready in the coming Spring.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
perhaps 7336 or 7424, I believe?
You are correct. Oops.

To try to answer your other questions, PC can remove more defects than hand and sometimes a rotory can remove more than PC, but if you aren't doing it professionally then it's best to just stick with the less dangerous PC.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I Broke OT

alright. was there a thread comparing the two PC's?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
wat

You are correct. Oops.

To try to answer your other questions, PC can remove more defects than hand and sometimes a rotory can remove more than PC, but if you aren't doing it professionally then it's best to just stick with the less dangerous PC.
I use the PC for my side business in detailing. I've made some cars look brand new after taking years of abuse, almost to the point to where you'd think that panel was repainted. I've used both Rotary and the PC, and I can say I like the PC much more. Sure it takes longer but its less damaging and much easier to use. So even if you are doing it professionally, the PC will do just fine, it all depends on how you use it.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 PM
But why is teh Rum gone?

I just got a nice little 6 inch long scratch on my car today, right near the foglamp housing on the bumper from a piece of debris. Id like to avoid using a PC, is there any paint care or wax products that will help conceal the scratch until I decide to repaint?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:31 AM
OG and counting...

rbrown: Is the scratch deep?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by PrinzII
rbrown: Is the scratch deep?
Yea Prinz it's down to black bumper. I told him there isn't MUCH that can be done and have it look semi-decent but maybe you have some other remedy?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:43 AM

yeah... its a deep scratch. I also have some small deep knicks that would be a b*tch to touch up. (probably going to use langka)

I finally decided that I will be buying the front and rear bumper on ebay. Then ill have them painted. Probably going to cost me $400+ and they will be aftermarket... it just heart breaking to see this sh*t happen. The funniest thing is all these scratches were caused by bad drivers in parking lots.

Besides that, I want to get my hands on a easy to use buffer so I dont have to spend $$$ to have somone do it for me.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
But why is teh Rum gone?

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Yea Prinz it's down to black bumper. I told him there isn't MUCH that can be done and have it look semi-decent but maybe you have some other remedy?
Yep... Like Nilesh said... Its deep.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
OG and counting...

Personally, this would require getting refinished. Even using the strongest rubbing compound to remove the scratch will not remove it if it is down the the black plastic.

As for the poster who said rubbing compound is too harsh, it depends on the cut. Case in point, I have a light cut rubbing compound that works for moderate defect removal. If you are running a medium or heavy cut rubbing compound, then you are correct.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM

If your too lazy to do all that buffing with rubbing compound, get wax thats the same color as your car and the wax will fill up inside the scratch when you buff it in.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 PM

they have sheer silver wax?!?!?! never knew that. (no sarcasm, im serious).......
Old 09-28-2005, 12:03 AM

um not sure about silver, but i know turtlewax makes a black colored wax....and all the other colors besides pebble and sage should be easy to find.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:43 AM

please dont state false info...bmw wont hire inexpeirenced kids to budd $80,000 cars. I went to school for auto body 4 years...and most people working there are over 30. if there are any swirls on our cars at all, we need to re-do them. yes a polisher is not great for a beginner but with the right advice and starting out slow it IS possible to learn. i did learn on my own. its not very hard just use some common sense.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Y2KmaxSE
please dont state false info...bmw wont hire inexpeirenced kids to budd $80,000 cars. I went to school for auto body 4 years...and most people working there are over 30. if there are any swirls on our cars at all, we need to re-do them. yes a polisher is not great for a beginner but with the right advice and starting out slow it IS possible to learn. i did learn on my own. its not very hard just use some common sense.
Who are you talking to? You were the one giving false information. I have a hard time understanding what you typed out in that post....
Old 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM

I believe he was talking to me. I did state that I wouldn't speak against him as I have not seen his work, but I still stand by my original post. Go over to autopia and ask what they think of dealership detailers and you'll see that my opinion is prevalent among both pro's and enthusiasts. Personally I would take his advice with a grain of salt. Even the things he's recommended that aren't overtly wrong still kind of rub me the wrong way ("its not ur cloths or anything" from " When wiping off wax/polish, I get swirls." Poor quality cloth WILL cause marring). I haven't seen any really good advice from him. I don't want to get into any kind of flame war over this, but he seems to feel that he should say he does detailing for BMW in every thread to show that he's who everyone should believe. Honestly I think it may be the exact opposite.

BTW, here's the "quality" job a BMW dealership can do http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61461
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM
wat

I believe he was talking to me. I did state that I wouldn't speak against him as I have not seen his work, but I still stand by my original post. Go over to autopia and ask what they think of dealership detailers and you'll see that my opinion is prevalent among both pro's and enthusiasts. Personally I would take his advice with a grain of salt. Even the things he's recommended that aren't overtly wrong still kind of rub me the wrong way ("its not ur cloths or anything" from " When wiping off wax/polish, I get swirls." Poor quality cloth WILL cause marring). I haven't seen any really good advice from him. I don't want to get into any kind of flame war over this, but he seems to feel that he should say he does detailing for BMW in every thread to show that he's who everyone should believe. Honestly I think it may be the exact opposite.
I agree with you. I know the kind of detailers dealerships hire. It's lower pay, they will basically hire anyone with a clean record. I've been in the business and I refuse to deal with dealerships because of that reason.