Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Touch up paint F- up

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Touch up paint F- up

So i am the new owner of a 99 crimson blaze SE max. Heres the big issue in about 10 different spots on the car there are small little scratches, no big deal right......... Wrong, the previous owner bought the dark red touch up paint and put it over the scratches, making it look worse. So master detailers whats my next step, can i pull some of this paint off? Wet sand and buff, please let me know.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:55 AM

Well, if the paint has been there for a wile, iots gonna be very hard to get off. You could try the wetsand and buff, but only if you really know what you are doing, b/c if you think it looks bad now, if you go at it without proper technique, you are gonna be posting back with a horror story. When I bought my 99 SE-L with mohagany pearl paint, it looks like the knucklehead that owned it before me also had a scratch or two that he used the wrong color to touch up with, but you really have to look for it in the sunlight for it really show itself. If its not really bad. I would leave it alone. If you cant stand it, then try the sand and buff. See what a body shop says. Post pics if you canl.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 AM

Or just buy the right color touch up from Nissan and cover it up
Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 AM

^ that is the current plan, then have the entire car proffessionally buffed and waxed/ sealed, hopefully it will blend in a lot better. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i would try goof off or opps! to remove it. sometimes it will rub right off.

if its brushed on with one of those little bottles you need to sand it down to make it even with the rest of the paint. other wise it sticks out like a sore thumb.

mmm crimson blaze
Old 01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
wat

Originally Posted by North
So i am the new owner of a 99 crimson blaze SE max. Heres the big issue in about 10 different spots on the car there are small little scratches, no big deal right......... Wrong, the previous owner bought the dark red touch up paint and put it over the scratches, making it look worse. So master detailers whats my next step, can i pull some of this paint off? Wet sand and buff, please let me know.
They probably used the Nissan touch up paint. The stuff I bought from the dealership didnt match very well. The red likes to fade after several years, but not alot, just enough to show a difference between old and new.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by JSutter
i would try goof off or opps! to remove it. sometimes it will rub right off.

if its brushed on with one of those little bottles you need to sand it down to make it even with the rest of the paint. other wise it sticks out like a sore thumb.

mmm crimson blaze
DO NOT use goof off...It removes clearcoat, we used it on my friends carbon fiber hood and it took the clear staright off...it made it all foggy and ruined the look of the hood. I would use Goo Gone at most, it is the least dangerous of the 3 choices, I used it on my car when I took my "M A X I M A" off my trunk so I know for a fact its safe, but it might not be stong enough for touch up paint...I would find a reputable body shop and just see what their opinion would be...
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueC
They probably used the Nissan touch up paint. The stuff I bought from the dealership didnt match very well. The red likes to fade after several years, but not alot, just enough to show a difference between old and new.
no it is deffinitly the wrong color