Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Complete interior detailing questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Complete interior detailing questions

Hi guys, and gals,

I just got a 1999 Maxima GLE with woodtrim and leather. But oh well, the previous owner does not treat the car the way it deserves. So I have lots of work to do, so please, bear with me on my questions.

Dash: It's woodtrim, yes. But it looks dirty and dusty. And it look just plain dull. Is there a product I can use to restore the glossy finish on the woodtrim?

Leather seats: .... Ok, this is a mess. They look so dull. So which product and procedure you would recommend to restore the leather?

Panels: what do you use to clean the inside of the door panels?

Buttons: ... well, I'm talking about the lock, unlock, window up and down buttons on the car door. They are wood trim. But they look dirty as hell. So what kinda cleaner I can use on them?

Steering wheel: ... ok, this one is just out of whack. It's completely worn out. I'm thinking of replacing it. Is there a place where I can get a replacement and is it easy to replace the steering wheel? (Lolz, I'm newbie)

So there you go. And this is only the beginning. The exterior is ... [sigh]. I would care about that later.

Thanks all for your time
Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 AM

i believe the woodtrim is plastic? so any interior detailing product for plastic and vinyl should do. (ex. armor all) pepboys or any auto store should have tons of diff products

leather seats. leather conditioner. you might even wanna consider getting them rewrapped in new leather if you cash to blow.

panels. vinyl cleaner same stuff as interior. if the stains are tough you can try some goo gone, which worked for me. just scrub hard with a towel and it should come off.

if the trim around the window switches are bad, buy new ones. i think theres a set of woodtrim on ebay right now. and if you check the classifieds enough there will be some on sale eventually
Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 AM

-Plastic/vynil/rubber use Meguiars Natural Shine. AWSOME stuff and I like it more than Mother's Back to Black.

-The wood trim, you may want to look into Meguiars Clear Plastic cleaner/polish. It should restore the shine pretty well, that or you could buy a polishing cloth and that would work great together. No experience with using chemicals here concidering I always just used a microfiber to clean wood trim.

-Leather there are a few options you could persue. If your leather is cracked/needs repair, then check out Leatherique. If not, then proceed and use either Zymol leather cleaner AND conditioner, Meguiars cleaner AND conditioner, or Lexol cleaner AND conditioner. If you are looking for something cheaper, then
Gold Class™ Leather Cleaner & Conditioner is good stuff too.

You couldn't pay me to put an ArmorAll product on my car....
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Aerospace 303

I am kind of partial to Aersopace 303 protectant.......good quality stuff and can be used on leather, vinyl, and trim.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
I am kind of partial to Aersopace 303 protectant.......good quality stuff and can be used on leather, vinyl, and trim.
While it may protect, leather needs oils to help keep it alive so to speak, outwise it wil dry out. This is where good quality conditioners come into play where the cleaners just clean and protect. A conditioner is a MUST on leather if you dont want it to end up looking like this:
http://conclaves.net/plugins/p17_ima.../images/31.jpg

That is the result of leather that was NEVER taken care of after 16 years UV protectants will only protect it so far...conditioners will keep it to that showroom level
Old 12-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Wolf .... the image is whack ... ^__^

Mine is not as bad. Think I'll take a detail pictures of my interior tomorrow. See what you guys can guide me from there ^__^

God bless.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:45 PM

+1 on 303 Protectant. Great looking finish, not too shiny

Our leather is coated, so you can clean the seats with anything that you would use to clean vinyl such as a mixture of degreaser/all-purpose cleaner and water. Follow up with a conditioner.