Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Ants on my car? After clay-ing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Ants on my car? After clay-ing?

Well, for the past month now, I havent been driving my car much, it has been sitting for a little while, and somehow a multitude of small black ants have taken residence on my car. At first they would stop at these sap -ike beads on my paint, but yesterday I clayed it, and the beads are gone, but the ants remain. I am not sure where they are(living, what nook/cavity), nor what they are eating, or trying to eat, nor how in the heck to get them off. Any tips? Also, I am working on restoring my paint with the clay->scratchx->sealant cleaner->sealant glaze->polishing compound->wax, and it is coming out awesome, but I am frustrated with these ants!!

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM
I Broke OT

take it for a drive? they probably settled in because it was protection from the elements. take it out, shake em loose and they probably will stay away.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Well, the car has been driven for probably about 3 out of the 7 days per week for the past month, maybe 4 days, but only to and from work(dad drove it). Its weird, I washed it and clayed it and I didnt see any to speak of, from when I initially started until I got completely done about 10 hours later, with other stuff in between. But then this morning, they popped out and I saw about 3 dozen of them.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Drug Money

Do you have some kind of smelly air-freshener? lol
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Also, I am working on restoring my paint with the clay->scratchx->sealant cleaner->sealant glaze->polishing compound->wax, and it is coming out awesome, but I am frustrated with these ants!!

Thanks.
Is this really the order in which you plan to do your restore? If you're going to be using an abrasive "compound", you might as well skip the ScratchX. Also, theres no point in putting on a wax/sealant before polishing & compounding.

Wash > Clay > Compound/Polish > Wax/Seal/glaze > Beer > Sleep
Old 04-01-2007, 02:14 AM

I had ants on my car a few times, it was always after I parked it in a certain spot. Both times I saw where they were going (usually around the drainage gutters in the car) and flushed it out with plenty of water. I also drove on the highway at illegal speeds, and then I just went at it with Raid (probably the most effective solution). As long as you hate the ants with a vengeance you should be able to beat them.

I know the thread's a bit old, but in case you still have the ants, park with your windows and sunroof tightly closed. Nothing worse than ants INSIDE your car. Trust me.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Ants will come up through the bottom. Closing your sunroof and windows are steps but not the end all. Where you are parked, are you on a dirt lot? Maybe you irritated an anthill? Is there a sweet smelling soap/cleaning supply you are using on your car? I know in the summer, bees love anything citrus smelling.

My concern isn't that they are on the outside, rather, have they gotten on the inside?

Try parking your car somewhere different. If get them off/out your car and return to the same area to park, scout ants will locate the car and you'll be doing this all over again.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 AM

Cream of Wheat is the best ant killer, and you don't have to worry about it hurting your paint. Ants find food for the queen before they can eat, so they take the queen a yummy piece of cream of wheat, and as she eats it, it expands, and she explodes. As does the rest of the colony. Try it sometime!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Slowly I have been killing them every time I see one, but yeah, they have been eventually going away. I havent seen any lately.

Originally Posted by clayman88
Is this really the order in which you plan to do your restore? If you're going to be using an abrasive "compound", you might as well skip the ScratchX. Also, theres no point in putting on a wax/sealant before polishing & compounding.

Wash > Clay > Compound/Polish > Wax/Seal/glaze > Beer > Sleep
I ended up just doing the clay, polishing compound, then the carnuaba wax. Turned out ok, but I need to get a PC and something to take out the clear coat scratches.