Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

How to get my leather dash black again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:32 AM

How to get my leather dash black again?

Hi all, I just wanted to know how I could get my dash totally black again. I use leather conditioner on the whole interior of my car, but after a while it seems like the dash is fading, especially in the little creases of the leather all over it. It's not brown, but definately, defiantely, not black. I was almost thinking of using some sort of the black rubber dressing, but I am apprehentious (sp) because leather is not black rubber. What do you guys think? My seats are perfectly black, but not the dash. Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bwinter7
Hi all, I just wanted to know how I could get my dash totally black again. I use leather conditioner on the whole interior of my car, but after a while it seems like the dash is fading, especially in the little creases of the leather all over it. It's not brown, but definately, defiantely, not black. I was almost thinking of using some sort of the black rubber dressing, but I am apprehentious (sp) because leather is not black rubber. What do you guys think? My seats are perfectly black, but not the dash. Thanks in advance
Unless you installed your own aftermarket leather dash covering, your dash is closer to being rubber than it is leather.

Leather cleaners/conditioners are meant for use on porous materials. The simulated leather (ie vinyl) used for the dash is non-porous so they will just sit on top of the surface as a thin film and collect filth from the air.

There are a number of products out there that are intended for restoring the original lustre to black interior (non porous) surfaces.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by eng92
Unless you installed your own aftermarket leather dash covering, your dash is closer to being rubber than it is leather.

Leather cleaners/conditioners are meant for use on porous materials. The simulated leather (ie vinyl) used for the dash is non-porous so they will just sit on top of the surface as a thin film and collect filth from the air.

There are a number of products out there that are intended for restoring the original lustre to black interior (non porous) surfaces.

Ahhh, you're completly right now that I sat back and actually thought about it lol. I guess in my mind I wanted it to be some sort of harened thin leather that was a perfect fit lol. Thanks, I'll look into them