Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Nasty Film on rear Bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Nasty Film on rear Bumper!

Did my spring cleaning ritual <strip/clay-bar/polish/waxing> on the max yesterday after a full winter of abuse!

Normally I don't clay-bar anything but the Horizontal surfaces as my car Usually sits outside, but yesterday I happened to notice that the vertical surfaces I've been neglecting were in SERIOUS need of claying!!

In the process of claying the doors and lower bumpers, I noticed that there was a REALLY NASTY accumulation of oily, black, sticky film on the rear bumper and trunk lid....undoubtedly from the exhaust.

I am one of those lucky guys whose VQ burns oil. (Lucky me!)
I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this issue while detailing their car??
Is this normal even for those whose cars DON'T burn oil?!

thks,
gr
Old 05-18-2008, 11:59 AM

I would not consider this "normal" by any means...

If you are asking how to remove the residue, then spray bug&tar remover on it, rinse and repeat, or apply pressure with a mitt.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM

okay...I think I was a little overboard in my description of the film!

My car is black, so the film was not so much visible as it was tacky to the touch. It felt like a fine coating of crusty debris over the paint surface.

The clay took it off just fine, so no issues, it was just more debris than I'm used to seeing on the clay!
It was all over the bumper above the exhaust and on the rear deck lid face - i just don't ever remember noticing this while doing "spring cleaning"...but perhaps i've neglected this area too long.

I guess I'm going to have to clay EVERYTHING from now on, not just the horizontal surfaces.

gr