Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Can my hood be saved???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can my hood be saved???

So here is the story - I had a fender bended 6-7 years ago, where the very front driver's side corner of the hood got bent under. I had it repaired, but they obviously did a terrible job. The paint started fading (and eventually cracking) at the corner where the damage was, and now the entire hood and fender have faded to a TERRIBLE color. I put a coat of wax on a portion of it about a month ago, and it almost looks worse (see picture). I am thinking about embarking on a complete detail job on the car but I am wondering if the hood is beyond repair. Has anyone successfully gotten something this bad to shine again?

FYI, the car has not been washed, which is why the passenger fender looks bad. The driver side fender has also faded, as it was painted when the hood was. I didn't bother washing the hood before taking the pics because it looks no different when it is clean.
Attached Thumbnails Can my hood be saved???-dsc01162.jpg   Can my hood be saved???-dsc01163.jpg   Can my hood be saved???-dsc01164.jpg   Can my hood be saved???-dsc01165.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
So here is the story - I had a fender bended 6-7 years ago, where the very front driver's side corner of the hood got bent under. I had it repaired, but they obviously did a terrible job. The paint started fading (and eventually cracking) at the corner where the damage was, and now the entire hood and fender have faded to a TERRIBLE color. I put a coat of wax on a portion of it about a month ago, and it almost looks worse (see picture). I am thinking about embarking on a complete detail job on the car but I am wondering if the hood is beyond repair. Has anyone successfully gotten something this bad to shine again?

FYI, the car has not been washed, which is why the passenger fender looks bad. The driver side fender has also faded, as it was painted when the hood was. I didn't bother washing the hood before taking the pics because it looks no different when it is clean.
Yeah, I dunno man. Did they put any clear on it? Is it a single stage paint job? When you waxed it, did your pad look all black and shyt after? I reckon you could polish it up and see what happens. It couldn't hurt. If the results don't improve then perhaps it is time to have someone else give it a real paint job cause that looks like doo doo.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I can has?

Extremely Doubtful... Unless it is a single stage gloss it is too far gone IMO. You could try claying and buffing with high end polishes, but I doubt it will look like you want it.

On the plus side, getting hoods repainted is pretty cheap, since it is a common color you can probably get it done for about $200.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM
wants an I35

might as well carbon fiber as long as you are going to repaint it.

a black hood would look good with a green car imo
Old 05-30-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, on a newer car, you could probably have it wet sanded and get it looking right, but I'm sure most of your clearcoat is gone so a good detail won't do a bit of good. At this point, new paint is about all you got.