Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

My Melting Steering Wheel - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Melting Steering Wheel - suggestions?

It's starting to get hot in Florida again and when it's hot and humid, my steering wheel will almost literally start to melt in my hands.

Basically, it is the outer cover breaking down. It does it a little bit even when it's not hot but just humid.

My hands get dirty, it brushes off on my pants - - - in short a real pain.

I really don't want to get a wheelskins cover - I don't like how thick they are (have one on my 96).

I imagine that a new steering wheel would be too expensive.

So, does anyone know of any other type of cover or potential solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

After posting here, I basically decided to research refinishing the steering wheel

Here's are some links I've found. Any comments or experience with any of them would be appreciated.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/3/1909515

Here's another variation.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279387

Another site that sells leather repair kits.

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/steering_wheel.shtml

A variation on the above technique:

http://theinteriorguyllc.com/repair-...teering-wheel/

There are also some services where you can send you wheel for repair. Just google steering wheel repair.

Last edited by Max_Gator; 04-29-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I put a wheelskins on mine and it looks pretty dag gum good and has held up famously.

http://wheelskins.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 AM

++1 on the Wheelskins. Had mine for 6years, still looks new. Invest in a wind shield sunshade. Install it whenever you park. This will keep your interior cooler, and keep the harsh rays of the sun from beating down on your interior. Use interior conditioners on your interior, thereby keeping things from drying out.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Yeah, I have a wheelskin on my 96 max.

I'm not a big fan because it makes the wheel so much thicker. And quite frankly, I'm not sure it is less of a PIA to put on than some of the processes outlined above.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM

If its leather wrapped you can use black shoe polish (or whatever color it is) put a real thick coating on there let it dry and buff any excess off then use a leater waterproofer the kind that comes in a tin its mainly used for leather hiking boots a few coats of that should seal it up and keep it from further deteriation. I haven't tried it in my max but I did it in my last ride and it held up quite well, about 6 months before I had to redo it.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys...The Interior Guy here,
Noticed you had a link back to my site on repairing a leather wrapped steering. Thanks for noticing me.
I first wanted to say one thing about the covers...They do more damage then they do good, they can not only rub more dye off but also leave impressions in the wheel which can also damage the leather even more.
You best bet is to have the wheel resurfaced. Sounds like what has happened to your steering wheel is that the dye has been rubbed off and the raw leather has been exposed.
Go to your local dealer and see if they can recommend a professional like myself to resurfaced the wheel. I do a lot of work for dealers and a lot of steering wheels. In fact I repair more leather wrapped steering wheels then anything else.
The cause for the damage is a number of things. Lotions on your hands, sweat, solvents, or just nervous rubbing. The leather is dyed with a water based dye which over time can wear off. But is definitely repairable.
So check with your dealer first before going for the cover, it just makes it easier to repair in the end believe me!
If you guys need anything, just let me know in here and I'll be happy to help in anyway

Talk to ya...Mike "TIG"
Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM

i have the same problem with my wheel "Melting" in my hand but i cannot do the typical refinish to it because the leather is torn in a few spots and looks a sight!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by theinteriorguy
Hey guys...The Interior Guy here,
Noticed you had a link back to my site on repairing a leather wrapped steering. Thanks for noticing me.
I first wanted to say one thing about the covers...They do more damage then they do good, they can not only rub more dye off but also leave impressions in the wheel which can also damage the leather even more.
You best bet is to have the wheel resurfaced. Sounds like what has happened to your steering wheel is that the dye has been rubbed off and the raw leather has been exposed.
Go to your local dealer and see if they can recommend a professional like myself to resurfaced the wheel. I do a lot of work for dealers and a lot of steering wheels. In fact I repair more leather wrapped steering wheels then anything else.
The cause for the damage is a number of things. Lotions on your hands, sweat, solvents, or just nervous rubbing. The leather is dyed with a water based dye which over time can wear off. But is definitely repairable.
So check with your dealer first before going for the cover, it just makes it easier to repair in the end believe me!
If you guys need anything, just let me know in here and I'll be happy to help in anyway

Talk to ya...Mike "TIG"
So, Mike --
how about sharing some trade secrets with the group here, rather than shamelessly plugging your services to the general masses?!?!

HOW do you go about refurbishing a Leather-Wrapped Sterring Wheel????

I've seen guys with AIRBRUSHES repainting leather seats in Porsches before....is THAT your secret??

Please -- tell us!!

gr