Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Jig-a-loo Silicone

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Jig-a-loo Silicone

I'm really liking this jig-a-loo silicone. It doesn't stick things up like what you would buy at the hardware store, and it works really, really well on weatherstripping and rubber mats.

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

Found a can at Advance Auto. So far, I'm pretty psyched about the find.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
You embarrass me.

Jig-a-loo.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Jig-a-loo.
Yeah, seems like a dumb name. But I don't care what they call it if it works well.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 PM
You embarrass me.

Very true. I'll have to look into it when I go to Advance. What have you used it on so far?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM

My OEM rubber floor mats, all the rubber weatherstripping (doors, hood, trunk), my leather shift boot and my leather e-brake boot.

Don't think I like it on my leather steering wheel, however. I prefer the way armor all feels there. But for weatherstripping, it's perfect product.

I need to my wife's car now. LOTS of weatherstrips on that CR-V.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-26-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM

I'd stay away from Armor All. Just from personal experience.

But then again, to each their own. I've had some not-so-pleasant experiences...and I've never been a big fan of the greasy mess it leaves on the dashboard.

I switched to Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer, and I'm honestly a lot happier. Smells much more inviting, too.

Back on topic, I'm going to see if I can find a bottle of this stuff. 177k miles really takes its toll on the rubber parts on a car. So I'd like to find something that will seal them up and recondition them if at all possible.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
I switched to Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer, and I'm honestly a lot happier. Smells much more inviting, too.
You've got me interested. I'll pick up a bottle of this and let you know what I think.

Pretty sure you're going to like how jig-a-loo works on your weatherstripping.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
You've got me interested. I'll pick up a bottle of this and let you know what I think.

Pretty sure you're going to like how jig-a-loo works on your weatherstripping.
Oh, also forgot. For the leather on your steering wheel/shift ****, try Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner. I use it on the seats in my Z, and it definitely does its job.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM

Oh, also forgot. For the leather on your steering wheel/shift ****, try Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner. I use it on the seats in my Z, and it definitely does its job.
Stop it.

I'm going to end up with more car care products than my wife has for hair & skin.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Stop it.

I'm going to end up with more car care products than my wife has for hair & skin.

You should see my garage.

I'm constantly sampling different products to see what I like best. I've found a happy medium in most of Meguiar's products, though (when comparing product cost to how well it performs). So until I've used up most of what I have, I'm not buying anything else.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM

+1 to the anti-Armor All-ness.

+1 to Meguiar's Gold Class and Quik Detailer.

I'll add Turtle Wax Ice leather cleaner to that list. No grease, just a clean look, very light fresh smell.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Out of curiosity, and to see how water repellant this stuff really is, I think I'll grab a can and spray down an old t-shirt with it. Followed by the garden hose.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM

All this talk about leather cleaner is more timely for me now that I've replaced my OEM shift ****. I really, really like the new leather. The old **** was all hard and shiny. Kind of like my steering wheel.

Don't think I'll be replacing that OEM part, however. Not at those crazy prices.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Out of curiosity, and to see how water repellant this stuff really is, I think I'll grab a can and spray down an old t-shirt with it. Followed by the garden hose.
I think interest in that experiment will depend entirely on who's wearing the t-shift.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-27-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Rochester since you brought up steering wheels, this is my suggestion.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM

I think interest in that experiment will depend entirely on who's wearing the t-shift.

Pictures, please.
Well my thinking behind it is if it's strong enough to repel water off of a t-shirt, then it's got to be a great alternative to using wax/Rain-X on the windshield.

If Jig-a-loo can make water run off of fabric like water off of a duck's back, imagine using it on your car in the rain.

As a plus, on the shoes, that would mean no more "hot foot" on rainy days when you step off the curb into that unseen puddle...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM

So far, two strikes against Jig-a-loo.

Tried spraying down an old t-shirt twice and then hosing it. Got soaked both times.

I'm currently letting an old shop towel "cure" in the sun. By cure I mean I sprayed it down with Jig-a-loo and I'm letting it set in to see if that helps.

I'll get a video when I actually spray it with the hose.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

It does repel water. Quite well, actually.

It just needs time to dry. The problem I had with the t-shirt was not giving the spray time to cure into the fabric.

I know the video quality is terrible, thanks to a combination of YouTube's quality-reducing powers and my camera phone, but you get the point.

The backside of the towel was almost completely dry when I pulled it off of the window.

Yes, that's me. Ignore my sloppy hair. I was too lazy to get cleaned up. This is just the internet after all.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM

@ your sunglasses

Good video.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Very entertaining in a WTF sort of way. If I were stoned and bored on a sunny day, that's exactly what I would do, too. I was half hoping you forgot to close your patio door before whipping out the hose.

Brett, t-shirts and sneakers aside... use it on your weatherstripping, then take a look at the rubber in a week or two and assess whether or not it was worth the effort. So far, I'm thinking it is. There's peace of mind knowing that my old car is still water and air-tight when closing the doors.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Guys, try these 2 products, I've gone to Adams with my G8 and would not go back to anything else

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...super-vrt.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-a...ound-only.aspx
Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
@ your sunglasses

Good video.

Well. The whole internetz don't needa be seein' what I look like. Not that I think anyone would ever actually track me down. But you never know.

Very entertaining in a WTF sort of way. If I were stoned and bored on a sunny day, that's exactly what I would do, too. I was half hoping you forgot to close your patio door before whipping out the hose.

It was a fun experiment. It actually took me by surprise when the water bounced off of the towel considering it soaked right in the first two times.

Brett, t-shirts and sneakers aside... use it on your weatherstripping, then take a look at the rubber in a week or two and assess whether or not it was worth the effort. So far, I'm thinking it is. There's peace of mind knowing that my old car is still water and air-tight when closing the doors.
I took it out and tried it on the some of the weather stripping. It seems to do a pretty nice job. It did a great job of pulling all of the dirt out of the rubber. The cloth I wiped it down with actually turned black. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. I guess we'll see.

As an alternative, this seems like it'd be great to cover my cloth seats with as well. Just in case any of my friends decide that their large McDonald's soft drink is more suitable in their lap than in their stomach.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-27-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM

I took it out and tried it on the some of the weather stripping. It seems to do a pretty nice job. It did a great job of pulling all of the dirt out of the rubber. The cloth I wiped it down with actually turned black. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. I guess we'll see.
Mine don't do that to the shop rags. No black residue at all. But then, I've been cleaning them a few times each year for the last 8 years. My guess is that your weather stripping is pretty dry. Don't know if reconditioning it will bring it back to original supple goodness. (This is such a weird conversation.)

As an alternative, this seems like it'd be great to cover my cloth seats with as well. Just in case any of my friends decide that their large McDonald's soft drink is more suitable in their lap than in their stomach.
You and your cloth experiments. Although the jig-a-loo doesn't smell much, it DOES smell. I wouldn't be spraying that on my cloth seats.

But then, I also wouldn't be buying food from McDonalds, so...
Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Mine don't do that to the shop rags. No black residue at all. But then, I've been cleaning them a few times each year for the last 8 years. My guess is that your weather stripping is pretty dry. Don't know if reconditioning it will bring it back to original supple goodness. (This is such a weird conversation.)

You and your cloth experiments. Although the jig-a-loo doesn't smell much, it DOES smell. I wouldn't be spraying that on my cloth seats.

But then, I also wouldn't be buying food from McDonalds, so...
I did notice it had a light smell to it when I was spraying that cloth down today. It seems more like a smell you could just roll the windows down and air out. Not that I'd ever think of spraying that stuff in a car with closed windows...

I'm not a fan of McDonald's either. Unfortunately, my buddies are, along with beer as well.