Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

My Dyno Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

My Dyno Thread

My dynos and what I've learned from them.

A33B 4AT Lesson # 1.
Link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280678
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295982
Date: 02-Feb-05

Reason: Prove/disprove 2 things
1.) GAB
2.) Stock midpipe vs straight midpipe

Mods: CMG1 headers/GAB/Berk MP

Number of Runs: 4

First run: Strange, as the operator was totally unclear as to how to run my car, being AT. He started @ 55 MPH, and WOT'd it, only to have it downshifted to 2nd, then upshift to 3rd, and tap the lockup torque convertor, which then results in a 'loop' on the dynograph. This is a cause of the RPM signal backing off a bit, thus giving a 'loop' in the signal, which directly affects hp/tq.

The Good: He ran it all the way to fuel cut, I assume, not knowingly.
The Bad: All the aforementioned lock-up tq converter talk, which was a
direct result of beginning the run too early (MPH/gear/RPM) for the vehicle being tested (4AT A33B).

Runs 2, 3, & 4 all had the same problem and 1 more. He was using the vehicles tach and not his own (true signal), which gave him false sense of judgment, so, he shut off too early on the remaining 3 runs. (~6k for each).

Conclusive evidence shows that a straight midpipe affects power delivery, but slightly increases top end very little. IMO, it is not worth it when comparing the curve. ). Removing the stock resonator (Helmholtz) dramatically increases sound, yet, doesn’t do very much for power. This has also been noted in the RWD version of this engine (I.e. Z midpipe etc).

Lesson # 2.
Link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308079

Date: 17-Jun-05

Reason: Prove/disprove the deactivation of the ‘power valve’ theory

Mods: CMG1 headers/JWT POP/17* BTDC

Number of runs: 2

The curve was identical throughout the RPM band, except pre 4k ish. This is a no brainer people. My buttocks dyno told me I had more top end power. But it was just a figment since there was no low mend, the top end felt stronger and power delivery felt more linear. I found/read this on another forum, and really like it/stand by it
On the road testing is notoriously inaccurate. You don't feel power so much as you feel change in torque versus time. If the car feels stronger up top, that likely means you are noting a surge or increase in power at a certain point. This is just as easily attributed to making LESS power down low as it would be to making more up top. This is the same sort of "feeling faster" that all of the OBD-II track pipe people experienced. Same peak power, less midrange, and thus the car would have a much larger slope in the power band between the midrange and the high RPM range of operation. This is why the butt dyno should never be used. If you are going to try to make more power by messing with sensors, then do so with proper test procedures in place. A wideband to verify the AFR, as well as a timing light to check for any changes to ignition timing from changed load readings, is really required. The before/after tests should also be done on a dyno with the variables as controlled as possible to verify the change in power.

If you are going to try to make more power by messing with sensors, then do so with proper test procedures in place. A wideband to verify the AFR, as well as a timing light to check for any changes to ignition timing from changed load readings, is really required. The before/after tests should also be done on a dyno with the variables as controlled as possible to verify the change in power.
It really holds true here.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Lesson # 3.
No link/thread, since I was still optimizing, and didn’t want to post lower values AFTER a mod.

Date: 08-Jul-05

Reason: SSIM

Mods: CMG1 headers/JWT POP/OEM 17’s/17*BTDC

Number of Runs: 3

This is where I learned that optimizing YOUR particular set-up is best for you. I lost power when adding this mod ALONE. But have since optimized my set-up for this mod (SSIM). Yes it does add some up-top, this is clear evidence. Here’s some supporting evidence (more ‘in depth’ analysis if you will)

Comparison of recent run vs new one

Lesson # 4.
link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=357898
Date: 10-Jun-06

Reason: TS ECU

Mods: CMG1 headers/CM-b/GAB/MMEV5’s/TS ECU/17* BTDC

Number of Runs: 3

This one is very interesting. This is where I started thinking that dynoing in 2nd was best. I had 3 runs, and decided to try 2nd gear. Well, my 3rd vs 2nd runs were nearly identical, but the torques suffered with using 2nd gear. I have also seen this on other Maxima dynos (DEK equipped that is). These runs are actually quite bad considering the mods that were on the car. I blame this on the, at the time, boat anchor bandwagons (MMEV5’s). But these runs did prove that the SSIM was still doing its job.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Proving the torque / 3nd gear theory:

Previous best vs this run:
Old 04-05-2008, 03:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Lesson # 5.
Link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=392060
Date: 21-Apr-07

Reason: AFR check/tune

Mods: CMG1 headers/CM-b/GAB/TrakLites 2.0/TS ECU/17* BTDC/SAFCII/82mmMAF/New Exhaust Set-up/JWT POP/Berk hybrid/PLXR300 WBO2

Number of Runs: 5

This was when I was still under the assumption that 2nd gear was best. These runs are ok, but very lean on torque. Back to the drawing board.

Lesson # 6.
Link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=393679
Date: 04-May-07

Reason: AFR check/tune

Mods: CMG1 headers/CM-b/GAB/TrakLites 2.0/TS ECU/17* BTDC/SAFCII/82mmMAF/New Exhaust Set-up/AutoZone Special Filter Short RAM/PLXR300 WBO2

Number of Runs: 4

This was basically checking out the new intake design. Very strange power delivery being so short and all. Made 10 whp more after 6.5k vs the last set of runs. I also found out that 2nd is not best if you’re a dyno queen, which I tend to consider myself one. I also have this theory:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...39&postcount=4

This run vs the previous run:

All 4 runs that day, great comparison for the 2nd/3rd gear:

Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Best run & AFR

Here’s comparing AFR w/ and without a test pipe. Lean graph = w/o test pips 9functioning main cat) the richer version is without a cat (test pipe)

Best & worst (1st and most recent)

So anytime I tell someone something, it comes from experience people.

This is a good one too:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=292991
Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bookmarked!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
brotherhood of tq

so did you re-tune for each different mod you did or one basic tune for everything at once?

I am happy you finally got your dyno so there is no more nagging about it.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

? The last dyno was nearly a year ago, so on ‘finally’ getting my dyno. I conditioned the MAF signal each time I dyno’d when I had something to condition it with (SAFCII). So, basically, the last 2 sessions were SAFC’d. I hate to relate the word tuning when screwing w/ a SAFC. Although, I did take it 1 step further and added Z33 injectors into the mix for indirectly adding timing, even more pseudo FTL ‘tuning’.

I still want to take the stock airbox a little further. I have seen the stock airbox support up to 230 whp, and the stock cat-back support 247whp, so I want to see the limit of them coupled together. And since it is too late for my catback to be considered ‘stock’ I’ll just refer to it as the stock 5th gen muffler + slightly modified (inlet size) airbox.

Right now, I would at least like to open up my air inlet a little more on the stock airbox, but at times I think this won’t do anything since, theoretically, and ultimately, the TB is the ‘show stopper’. But, then again, we all saw how opening the MAF size a little bit of benefited performance, so again, it couldn’t hurt. I’m not saying let’s all go but 7” intakes on, I’m only referring to at least matching the MAF size to the airbox/intake size. This dyno may or may not happen soon. Need to find the damn time.

But, ultimately, for the most power, I’ve got this little number ready to install once I get back from work travel:
Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

It consists of all 76.2mm ‘hardware’, with the small exception of the MAF adapter, which is 82mm. After some physical measurements / test fits, it seems as if I will not have to purchase a 76.2mm MAF adapter JUST so everything is the right size. A few couplers later, it will all bolt up, and I won’t have to ‘tune’ the lean’ess’ out of the idle since my PCV will be functional again.

This is how I plan on setting it up: JWT POP / 76.2mm MAF housing / Custom 76.2mm midpipe w/ PCV barb / TB Toss in some couplers & hose clamps also and some ingenuity to secure it down if the JWT bracket doesn’t do the job.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Looks awesome nmex, mine is almost identical to yours except it's all pcv and totally ghettofied compared to yours.

It's going on tonight (only going to run it at partial throttle) and I'm going to take it to a local shop and pay 30 bucks to get 1 run on the wideband and see what my untuned AF is

edit: I put it on and did a ECU reset, drove it around a bit... I got on it once and wow, way more responsive. *crossing fingers for the AF to be good*

The piping is only around 1/4" inch bigger than the stock maf housing, so I'm hoping it'll just be less rich but still safe.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-07-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Also, are you going to be getting a bigger TB? If so, what are you thinking of going with? I'd really like to get a TB next, but I'm just not sure what to go with that'd be an easy fit.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM

Ok so it put down 221whp 219wtq (don't have runfiles yet) with a 15:1 AF across the board. Yeah I'm not going wot again until I tune it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
? The last dyno was nearly a year ago, so on ‘finally’ getting my dyno. I conditioned the MAF signal each time I dyno’d when I had something to condition it with (SAFCII). So, basically, the last 2 sessions were SAFC’d. I hate to relate the word tuning when screwing w/ a SAFC. Although, I did take it 1 step further and added Z33 injectors into the mix for indirectly adding timing, even more pseudo FTL ‘tuning’.

I still want to take the stock airbox a little further. I have seen the stock airbox support up to 230 whp, and the stock cat-back support 247whp, so I want to see the limit of them coupled together. And since it is too late for my catback to be considered ‘stock’ I’ll just refer to it as the stock 5th gen muffler + slightly modified (inlet size) airbox.

Right now, I would at least like to open up my air inlet a little more on the stock airbox, but at times I think this won’t do anything since, theoretically, and ultimately, the TB is the ‘show stopper’. But, then again, we all saw how opening the MAF size a little bit of benefited performance, so again, it couldn’t hurt. I’m not saying let’s all go but 7” intakes on, I’m only referring to at least matching the MAF size to the airbox/intake size. This dyno may or may not happen soon. Need to find the damn time.

But, ultimately, for the most power, I’ve got this little number ready to install once I get back from work travel:
geez relax, it was a joke about you wanting to dyno at maxus if u went.

man ur a tightly wound guy.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Ok so it put down 221whp 219wtq (don't have runfiles yet) with a 15:1 AF across the board. Yeah I'm not going wot again until I tune it.
Interesting numbers, what are your mods? Also, my AFR was actually lean as shat according to the dyno. But, remember the cat/lean issue,
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM

My mods are simply the 3" intake. I'm pretty excited by such good numbers. I have the NWP spacers, cattman headers/ypipe/fastcat, and all the ES bushings in the mail, so I'm shooting for the stars and hoping for 250 with a tune.

My next planned mods after the exhaust stuff is installed is SSIM, bigger TB, and raised rev limiter via TS.

Yeah I asked them if I'd get an accurate A/F reading from that tailpipe wideband with all the cats in the line and they said "oh of course!!!" Plus I think my cat is a little clogged (from 100+k miles of age).

I just temporarily wired up a vafc to add a little fuel for now b/c IMO even adding a little fuel will put me in the 13-14s which should be ok with 93+octane booster and not getting on it much.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've also heard mixed stories / reviews etc for the cat affecting AF thing. I just decided to post my experience in this thread. The dyno dude was always saying, ya, it's a little on the lean side. And we all know that is 'typically' not the case with these cars, so i had trouble believing the dyno AFR w/ cat. I do recall that our (dyno & mine) AFR's were nearly identical, but this data was taken after I added a test pipe, and prior to then, I did not have a WB.

So in conclusion, this does state that, in my situation, the cat did affect the reading.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Well I'm thinking that I'll be running rich enough with my headers installed, anyway. If the headers cause even close to as much of a fuel increase as most people claim, that should put me pretty close to 13.0...

If I ever get ECU pinout diagrams for the 03 350z and my maxima, I'll install my UTEC instead of using this vafc.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I have seen the stock airbox support up to 230 whp
were you referring to the dyno-tune I did late last year when I got 230/240 with the stock intake or was this another incident? And also, the stock intake was completely stock, no GAB or larger midpipe or anything like that...just a k&n drop it
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

Well I'm thinking that I'll be running rich enough with my headers installed, anyway. If the headers cause even close to as much of a fuel increase as most people claim, that should put me pretty close to 13.0...
I think you're assuming way too much. Save for a WB prior to getting out of hand with the taking out / adding fuel thing.

If I ever get ECU pinout diagrams for the 03 350z and my maxima, I'll install my UTEC instead of using this vafc.
Are you too lazy, or just don’t know where to get them from? Because if that’s the case, I will shoot you dead right now. I’ll send an ICBM to wherever you are.

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
were you referring to the dyno-tune I did late last year when I got 230/240 with the stock intake or was this another incident? And also, the stock intake was completely stock, no GAB or larger midpipe or anything like that...just a k&n drop it
This is correct.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Just didn't know where to get them from, Jime hooked me up with links.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

Does this mean you have them now?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Yes. I'm just considering exactly how I want to go about wiring it. Honestly I'd like to find out the pins to control timing and rev limiter then leave the rest of it alone. wiring 100+ pins through that thing wouldn't be fun.

Plus I need to find a USB cable for it since my laptop doesn't have a serial connection.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-09-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Serial --> USB adapter = Problem solved
Old 04-12-2008, 07:30 AM

hmm good idea
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Ok I got a serial to usb cable today. Going to mess with this stuff on my next day off.

I want to JUST hook up the pins needed to control timing, rev limit, and A/F. I've been looking at the pinouts on the ECU and I think timing is just going to be 6 wires, and of course A/F is just the ECU wire. I still haven't figured out what pin controls rev limit. It's gotta be something with fuel control.

I'm trying to do it this way b/c hooking up 100+ wires via splicing would get really messy, and leaves way too much room for errors.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why AF?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM

hrm I guess it may actually be more convenient to leave the vafc hooked up to control AF and just use the utec for timing and rev limit. It's not like I could sell a used vafc-1 for much anyway...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

My point was that the AF wire isn't that simple. It's not just 1 wire.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM

Oh I see. I'm now hearing info from a local friend that it may be hard to get the rev limit change to work. Yuck
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Well it's ready to go in...

Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

Sweet man!!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-19-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Toolie

Haven't had much time to work on this. I will be de-anodizing the tube this weekend. Then I'll polish, then weld the sensor block and breather tube port.

FTR, tube ID 80mm, OD 85mm, velocity stack is 3.5 inches.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 07-16-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 AM

I just also recently started working on velocity stacks on the VQ as well. I haven't recieved anything just yet, but the VS I'm using is a 3" coupled with a 6" K&N Filter. The piping for the intake is 3" using the stock MAF housing. Should be interesting to see the results coupled with the 7400 (even though I wont take it up that high) TS Rev limiter.

Nmexmax, I'm just wondering is your Technosquare a FULL SPEC reflash or just the L-Spec?

Last edited by 2002AltimateV6; 07-17-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Since when did TS start doing 7400 RPM rev limits?

And it's an F-spec.

Knights post is not really a velocity stack, it''s more of a 'coupler so that you don't need a MAF adapter thing'. It's almost like the OEM version.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM

I actually purchased this ECU from another member on NissanClub.com who's going with a stand-alone. Started revving it and noticed the RPMs go above an beyond 7100 and actually start bouncing right before the 7500RPM point. Don't know if that's possibly my tachometer being off but that's where it is. I just assumed the previous owner of the ECU had requested to have it extended out to the max along with the tune for I/H/E.

Either way, velocity stacks are pretty cool.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM
dot dot dot ...

It's the tach being off. Mine goes about 7400 or so too, but my Cipher/SAFC/R300, etc tell me it's ~ 7100 limit.

Yes they are and that is why I plan on using mine with my new set-up.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 AM

Darn tach! I was surprised though since I thought "Whoa! 7400! That's crazy! Hope the head bolts can hold on!" Since I've heard those can really only go so far before stretching.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd be more worried about the rod bolts than the head bolts.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Kevlo for President

How did I miss this thread?

How much do these runs cost you
Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

The dude is pretty damn cool. One time, I had to wait about an hour or so for my appointment because some other guy exceeded his time, so I got hooked up, paid for 3 runs instead of 4. Also he charges by runs, or by the hour. I've managed as much as 5 runs / hour. Hour = 90$.

Also, he does 'Dyno Drags' and charges like 30 - 50 bucks for 3 pulls, nearly back to back, but if you guess closest HP you win like 200$. And you take committees / charity.

So, that doesn't answer your question Keep in mind it's been over the course of the past 3 years.

Dude, you're spending too much time in college.... that's why you missed them all.

Well worth it though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Dyno Thread