Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

RMT Dyno Record... streetz looks small in my rearview :-D

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM

RMT Dyno Record... streetz looks small in my rearview :-D

hahah. Sorry brother I just had to. I'm just finally happy that after at least 3 yrs Im FINALLY passed you on WHP lol.

FYI- I left my thumb drive at home, so no run files til I go back next week. All I have are my 2 printouts of the best run with cutout open, and the other is all else constant except for cutout closed. Runfiles will be available next week.

Power Mods-
3.5 Full engine swap (3.0 ECU and timing equipment)
SSIM with PF TB
Ebay long-tube headers with custom equal-length y-pipe (all wrapped)
Straight pipe (wrapped)
WSP B-pipe (wrapped)
Motostorm UDP
Spec Stg2 clutch
SAFC-2
Oil Catch Can
Greddy Type RS BOV
Turbonetics Deltagate Wastegate
Holset HX35 Turbo
Ubber Ebay IC 28x5.5x2
Custom PVC 3" MAF
RC 440cc Injectors
Walbro 255HP
Fuelab FPR

OK so I get there, Im at 6psi. Without doing anything, just how it was when I drove there, dyno'd and it made 289whp (dont recall the TQ). I went in aiming for 9psi, and perhaps 320-325whp.... boi was I understating it.

Keep in mind this is a BIG A$S TURBO, that runs 19psi in its stock application. So the more you raise the boost, the more you get into its more efficient range, and thus the better airflow into the engine.

When all was said and done, couplers were blowing; fuel pressure got bumped from 50psi to 65psi because for some reason, even with +20% cor on the AFC, I ws still going dangerously lean; a few faint pinging scares; the fuel tank was 1 quarter lower; boost got raised from 6psi to 9psi (and sometimes it would spike to 10psi just before redline)... but we made it through...

[meximax- remember I sent you a PM saying that for 2008 I was going after your record (at the time it was 428whp dammit, not gonna try the 440 or w/e just yet, LOL)? Well this is my "fair warning" to you my friend!]

EDIT- RUN FILES ARE IN!!!

These 2 graphs are showing the same runs, My best All-Motor run Vs. 9psi Open Cutout Vs. 9psi Closed Cutout. 1 is STD, the 2nd is SAE. If anyone wants the run files I have all the runs in my thumb drive, I'll be home around 2-3am tonite.

STD Correction

SAE Correction

Notice on all runs, my HP and TQ curves all intercept at the same point in the RPM, 5260RPM basically. I dont know how useful that piece of info is, but for all its worth...

s0ber thank you for the help friend!

Last edited by 95BLKMAX; 06-04-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: replacing pictures of printout with actual runfiles
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 PM

even the kid at the shop was wondering where the heck the turbo was!

LOL

oh yea, for those that dont know, I did a 99 front bumper n grille
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Congrats!!! finally you have been able to make more power than your master, now get ready for my turn once again (soon).

good numbers, not diggin the curve too much though, falls off a good amount after it peaks. maybe the z IM will fix that.

btw, just because you put out more power dosnt mean ur faster
Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM

Here's the thing. I suspect that I still have an exh leak and or boost leak somewhere. If you look at the open cutout dynograph, it peaks at 5300, then hits a wall. SOMETHING is happening at that rpm. I suspect its a boost leak because ONLY when the cutout was open, we noticed that the boost would hit 8.5-9psi, hold, then right as it got to redline, it was start to creep to 10psi out of no where. If you look at the graph really, that IS a ~400whp dyno! but SOMETHING is holding it back.

Here's the paradox though; the CUTOUT CLOSED dyno, it has a SMOOTH drop off in power. That could easily be attributed to the cam timing on my swap that is known to drop off after 6k anyways. Nothing really stands out in particular there.

Either tomorrow or Sat morning, Im gonna go to a shop and have em weld some of my pipe sections up front to eliminate couplers. Also gonna replace the gaskets bet'n my ypipe and the headers- Im pretty sure those are leaking. If that doesnt do it, I'll be replacing my boost controller- I wont get into details, but it was acting a bit iffy during its adjustments.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Ok, so talked to E55AMG and he schooled me a bit- brought up a good point that I didnt think of prior.

That nasty drop in power on my open cutout dyno could very likely be attributed to the fact that the cutout is dumping basically just 5-6" out of the turbine outlet. In that short of a column, at some point, the airflow simply cannot remain linear/ laminar, and thus starts to create turbulence and spikes of boost (which is funny, because right at the rpm where the power takes a crap, is where the boost suddenly would start to creep into 10psi). This turbulence obviously kills off the power rather abruptly.

This to me holds true because with the cutout closed; yes there is less power, however the flow is maintained linear out the turbo, and therefore there is no ABRUPT plunge in power. The MUFFLER being a restriction is preventing any spikes of boost and thus maintains the power curves nice and smooth (at the expense of power, but hey, its a muffler, its to keep things quiet, for that, it does its job pretty good).

So I guess at some point, perhaps in a few months after Im done with some much needed maintenance, I'll get back into the power department and among other things, re-do the cutout/muffler tubing.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

How long do you normally have to run it to get the turbo warm enough to make reliable boost? Does it stop building boost after riding for a while on the highway and cooling down or does it stay hot? Were you getting consistent boost on the dyno, as well?

I think the wrapping has helped with MOST of the normal RMT-issues i questioned above, but I'm also thinking that those pipes are likely to burn up quick. I'd hate to have metal flaking off my decaying wrapped headers and into the turbo!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 AM

Finally he hit the dyno!!

Number look good. that tip is of concern. Hopefully its just a leak and you can atleast hold your power till redline or drop off post 6k.

I would keep the cut out close. You have more torque on the low end from the start and have a smoother curve.

Making some good power there! Did you guys ever do the show down?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
How long do you normally have to run it to get the turbo warm enough to make reliable boost? Does it stop building boost after riding for a while on the highway and cooling down or does it stay hot? Were you getting consistent boost on the dyno, as well?

I think the wrapping has helped with MOST of the normal RMT-issues i questioned above, but I'm also thinking that those pipes are likely to burn up quick. I'd hate to have metal flaking off my decaying wrapped headers and into the turbo!
Well first of all, wrapped RMT or not, the normal "dont floor it til engine is at operating temp" still applies. Honestly, the tubing gets warmed up from either idling for 10 mins (which while working on the car i've done before, but not really practical). Or once its at operating temp, really it only takes about two 3rd gear pulls. That moves enough hot exh through the pipes to heat em up to "that sweet stop". For example, all the runs I'd allow for some cooloff time to keep every run t a constant 180* (I have an autometer water temp gauge), all my runs were averaging 356-359whp at that point. One run that I did that I just went for it, water temp was at about 193* (more or less VQ normal operating temp), THIS is when all of a sudden without making any changes, I look up and I see 372. Even the runs after that which I allowed to be slightly hotter were 371/369, all within reasonable differentiation due to heatsoak. So I may just undo my "Jime's stay a lil open T-stat" rig and just put a 350Z t-stat.

As far as the pipes disintegrating.... really Im not concerned about it. #1 they're all S/S, #2 had i just simply wrapped em, yes they'd rot over time and be gone, but I followed instruction to prevent this, #3 you put a thick layer of DEi silicone paint on the pipe itself to prevent any moisture, THEN you wrap the pipes. Once the pipes are wrapped, you SOAK the wrap with the same silicone paint. This prevents the majority of water from ever penetrating the wrap and making contact with the pipe. Like scotch guarding the wrap in a way, lol.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Finally he hit the dyno!!

Number look good. that tip is of concern. Hopefully its just a leak and you can atleast hold your power till redline or drop off post 6k.

I would keep the cut out close. You have more torque on the low end from the start and have a smoother curve.

Making some good power there! Did you guys ever do the show down?
Yea I know Ive been itching to know wat this thing was making after all the street tuning and lil mods and trouble shooting I've been doing.

Nah havent had the showdown. The closest 1/4mi track (Moroso) is reconstructing the 1/4mi track section of the complex, so no drag racing there until end of sep, start of oct. It just gives us time to do other mods to raise the bar, lol
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

But... I still do not see any DRF's in my inbox... nor m AIM acnt.

Boatload of tq.

Originally Posted by 5BLKMAX
19psi in its stock application.
How many cm^3 does it feed, stock?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM

Awesome man. I need timeslips!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
But... I still do not see any DRF's in my inbox... nor m AIM acnt.

Boatload of tq.

How many cm^3 does it feed, stock?
Not sure on the amount of airflow, since Holset never really really released to the public any of the compressor maps for their turbos, but I know for sure that they run 19psi stock on the Cummins engines on the dodge duallies.... No idea what the actual amount is but from a turbo this big, its A WHOOOOOLE lot of air
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

ya, the last few days I've been driving an 04 DuraMax.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Ok, so talked to E55AMG and he schooled me a bit- brought up a good point that I didnt think of prior.

That drop in power on my open cutout dyno could very likely be attributed to the fact that the cutout is dumping basically just 5-6" out of the turbine outlet. In that short of a column, at some point, the airflow simply cannot remain linear/ laminar, and thus starts to create turbulence and spikes of boost (which is funny, because right at the rpm where the power takes a crap, is where the boost suddenly would start to creep into 10psi). This turbulence obviously kills off the power rather abruptly.

This to me holds true because with the cutout closed; yes there is less power, however the flow is maintained linear out the turbo, and therefore there is no ABRUPT plunge in power. The MUFFLER being a restriction is preventing any spikes of boost and thus maintains the power curves nice and smooth (at the expense of power, but hey, its a muffler, its to keep things quiet, for that, it does its job pretty good).

So I guess at some point, perhaps in a few months after Im done with some much needed maintenance, I'll get back into the power department and among other things, re-do the cutout/muffler tubing.
To me it kinda dosnt make sense about the cutout being too close and causing the drop in power due to the turbulance etc..., I was under the impression that the more free the exhaust outlet on turbo is the better. In my case it is better, if that were true them my HP curve would drop like yours or something like it, my cutout is just as close as yours and i keep almost peak hp all the way to redline, with or without cutout. I think its probably a leak somewhere, or your ssim.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Thats the way you do it eddie.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
To me it kinda dosnt make sense about the cutout being too close and causing the drop in power due to the turbulance etc..., I was under the impression that the more free the exhaust outlet on turbo is the better. In my case it is better, if that were true them my HP curve would drop like yours or something like it, my cutout is just as close as yours and i keep almost peak hp all the way to redline, with or without cutout. I think its probably a leak somewhere, or your ssim.
but then again, you're not flowing as much airflow as I am (and i dont mean it as a joke or anything Im for real). HP is directly related to CFM into the engine and you at 312 and me at 373, its a big difference. Notice how at the normal cutout closed dyno its perfectly fine.

The problem is that I have all this air moving through, then at that RPM where power takes a crap, is right where I start to spike to 10psi. The added air really doesnt flow well out the turbo and chokes it.

I see what you're sayin about the cutout, freer flow more power. But thats up to a point. All that airflow is going to need x amount of length to keep it linear. Otherwise it will at some point create turbulence and choke. In a way it somewhat relates to how on the intake side All Motor, shortest intake pipe MAY NOT be necessarily the best for making power. You have to have x length of piping for optimal airflow at y RPM etc..., all to keep that airflow linear.

Really I think its as simple of a fix as lengthening the dump tube a few inches more. Problem would be finding the room to extend it without me running the pipe into the curb when I park, LOL
Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

but then again, you're not flowing as much airflow as I am (and i dont mean it as a joke or anything Im for real). HP is directly related to CFM into the engine and you at 312 and me at 373, its a big difference. Notice how at the normal cutout closed dyno its perfectly fine.
VE FTW.

The problem is that I have all this air moving through, then at that RPM where power takes a crap, is right where I start to spike to 10psi. The added air really doesnt flow well out the turbo and chokes it.

I see what you're sayin about the cutout, freer flow more power. But thats up to a point. All that airflow is going to need x amount of length to keep it linear. Otherwise it will at some point create turbulence and choke. In a way it somewhat relates to how on the intake side All Motor, shortest intake pipe MAY NOT be necessarily the best for making power. You have to have x length of piping for optimal airflow at y RPM etc..., all to keep that airflow linear.

Really I think its as simple of a fix as lengthening the dump tube a few inches more. Problem would be finding the room to extend it without me running the pipe into the curb when I park, LOL
Velocity FTW.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM

I need to dyno my car now. Did you use a mustang dyno or no?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

Obviously a DJ,

But STD FTL.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Obviously a DJ,

But STD FTL.
I didnt even look lol.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Wow... that is an incredible set of numbers! Be proud.. (and think nitrous )

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Turbo 3.5

Wow, I was not looking for a 100hp gain from your last dyno

so are you also planning to run bigger injectors or just increasing the fuel psi alittle to correct your lean problem

btw don't forget to test the welds for leaks
Old 05-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Wow... that is an incredible set of numbers! Be proud.. (and think nitrous )

Thank you sir! I am thinkin of adding some spray device, but Methanol, not nitrous... not yet at least, lol

Originally Posted by t6378tp
Wow, I was not looking for a 100hp gain from your last dyno

so are you also planning to run bigger injectors or just increasing the fuel psi alittle to correct your lean problem

btw don't forget to test the welds for leaks
Yes sir! I wasnt expecting that either, lol. No Im gonna keep these injectors for now. Although with that much power Im probably maxing them out already (need to hook up the laptop and check their duty cycle, but it would make sense that they are maxing out). So for now, ubber fuel pressure will do the trick until I can upgrade to 555s or something. Dont be surprised if you see some RC 440s going up for sale for ~$300shipped.

And yes, soon Im going to be eliminating some couplers and also replacing the gaskets bet'n the headers and the ypipe (IF there are even gaskets there, I dont recall seeing them when the shop put on the ypipe, I just saw alot of silicone, LOL).

As a side note, I am happy to report that the 3"MAF with the A32 sensor is working perfecty fine. Even on that 373whp run, it only saw 78% airflow (mind you that the AFC IS currently running MAF settings 04IN-04OUT.... not bad at all for a Home Depot MAF!)
Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

As a side note, I am happy to report that the 3"MAF with the A32 sensor is working perfecty fine. Even on that 373whp run, it only saw 78% airflow (mind you that the AFC IS currently running MAF settings 04IN-04OUT.... not bad at all for a Home Depot MAF!)
Try 1/4 and see what it does for AFR.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Try 1/4 and see what it does for AFR.
shouldnt it lean it the he!! out? I dont really want that given that Im already doing +21% at 6000 and up along with 65psi fuel pressure to keep the a/f safe. The injectors are guaranteed to be maxed out with this cutout open. So that's what I need to focus on for now.

Also I think im reaching the limits of the AFC, gonna upgrade to an Emanage Blue soon. I have enough resolution based on RPM, but on throttle its kinda of a biotch to just have the high-lo throttle settings and go in bet'n. I want a table, its alot easier and more accurate. Plus I'll be able to log my a/f on RPM FTW!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:24 PM

werd ...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sick results. I would still think that with such a large turbo that the top end would not fall off and just stay to redline.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

shouldnt it lean it the he!! out? I dont really want that given that Im already doing +21% at 6000 !
Dude are you serious? It will richen it up. Before I had mine set-at 1/17 (5th gen) I was adding about 27% to get back to normal, after I changed the setting I went to 0% to be back to normal.

Try the setting and see what it does, it even helps part throttle driving be back at normal.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-30-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Sick results. I would still think that with such a large turbo that the top end would not fall off and just stay to redline.
Oh nah trust me the turbo itself is more than feeding. If you read slowly I mentioned that right where the power starts to take a crap, the boost actually starts to spike to 10psi. Turbo is nowhere close to choking. Keep in mind it runs 19psi stock on the cummins engines. So Im just tickling its wiskers right now

Dude are you serious? It will richen it up. Before I had mine set-at 1/17 (5th gen) I was adding about 27% to get back to normal, after I changed the setting I went to 0% to be back to normal.

Try the setting and see what it does, it even helps part throttle driving be back at normal.
Well at this point its not a matter of electrical tuning mate. Its just the fact I maxed out my injectors, lol. Just before the power takes a crap, I was actually still taking out fuel, by like -5%, then SUDDENLY it goes up to +20%. Didnt matter how much I added with the AFC, only raising FP was adding fuel. 440CC injectors are after all supposed to max out about 370-380WHP, so thats zee problem hea
Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

But food for though when you get triple nickels.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM

But food for though when you get triple nickels.
indeed
Old 05-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Oh nah trust me the turbo itself is more than feeding. If you read slowly I mentioned that right where the power starts to take a crap, the boost actually starts to spike to 10psi. Turbo is nowhere close to choking. Keep in mind it runs 19psi stock on the cummins engines. So Im just tickling its wiskers right now

Well at this point its not a matter of electrical tuning mate. Its just the fact I maxed out my injectors, lol. Just before the power takes a crap, I was actually still taking out fuel, by like -5%, then SUDDENLY it goes up to +20%. Didnt matter how much I added with the AFC, only raising FP was adding fuel. 440CC injectors are after all supposed to max out about 370-380WHP, so thats zee problem hea
I did read carefully. I was refering to the run with cutout closed. The power slowly drops off and doesnt stay to redline. I would think that with SSIM it would stay to redline even with yor cam timing.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM

I think I figured out why you are loosing so much power at top end. You are basically retarding timing by adding so much correction at the top.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM

Dosnt make sense to me, why would it choke? why would it matter if the air leaving the turbo is linear or not as long as its leaving as fast as possible, its just exhaust thats already being used coming out the turbo into the atmosphere, i would understand if u were talking about feeding the turbo, but leaving the turbo? dosnt make sense to me, so that means adding some backpressure to the turbo outlet is better?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Dosnt make sense to me, why would it choke? why would it matter if the air leaving the turbo is linear or not as long as its leaving as fast as possible, its just exhaust thats already being used coming out the turbo into the atmosphere, i would understand if u were talking about feeding the turbo, but leaving the turbo? dosnt make sense to me, so that means adding some backpressure to the turbo outlet is better?

Yeah - maybe a piece of tape across the outlet ?? LOL !!! well, it helped my laminar airflow...

OK, never mind.. ...

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
SC Overspinning Swapper!!

meximax- remember I sent you a PM saying that for 2008 I was going after your record (at the time it was 428whp dammit, not gonna try the 440 or w/e just yet, LOL)? Well this is my "fair warning" to you my friend!
Good number Eddy, but you need to figure out what is happening with that power curve. I am not sure that I entirely buy the whole laminar flow proposition. I see drastic power losses. Spark blow out?

I will give you props if you manage to break my fwhp, but rest assured that I won't you have that record for long
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
I think I figured out why you are loosing so much power at top end. You are basically retarding timing by adding so much correction at the top.
Elementary dear Watson! I mean I always had a drop in power after 6k due to my cam timing, but thats normal. On the closed cutout dyno, its droppin starting from the point where I start adding ubber fuel. That retarded timing in combination with the CAM timing after 6k is no good!... see? I HAVE to get bigger injectors now :-D

the dump tube is a factor in this, its not the whole story though. The injectors maxing out IS the big problem here. Im gonna get on that first and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by grey99max
Yeah - maybe a piece of tape across the outlet ?? LOL !!! well, it helped my laminar airflow...

OK, never mind.. ...

LOL! that really did make me laugh Im not exaggerating, LOL
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by meximax
Good number Eddy, but you need to figure out what is happening with that power curve. I am not sure that I entirely buy the whole laminar flow proposition. I see drastic power losses. Spark blow out?

I will give you props if you manage to break my fwhp, but rest assured that I won't you have that record for long
Its those injectors maxing out meng! 440cc injectors are supposed to max out about 370-380whp. When I bought them I didnt really think I was gonna be making this much power, lol.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM

Elementary dear Watson! I mean I always had a drop in power after 6k due to my cam timing, but thats normal. On the closed cutout dyno, its droppin starting from the point where I start adding ubber fuel. That retarded timing in combination with the CAM timing after 6k is no good!... see? I HAVE to get bigger injectors now :-D

the dump tube is a factor in this, its not the whole story though. The injectors maxing out IS the big problem here. Im gonna get on that first and see how it goes.
you should log with my obd scanner thingy and see if they are actually maxing out.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Congrats Eddy , Hopefully I see the beast Sunday !
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 PM

you should log with my obd scanner thingy and see if they are actually maxing out.
Will do, but Im pretty sure thats wat it is.
Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Congrats Eddy , Hopefully I see the beast Sunday !
Negative sir. I bez at work. Im gonna have to make a special appearance at once of the regular Maxouts one time. Let me finish off some project I got going on right now for looks, then I'll go there (I may have more power than you guys up in the NW... but ya'lls cars looks A WHOLE LOT cleaner and n sexy than mine, lol. So I got a lil project to help step up to the plate a bit lol)

Quick Reply: RMT Dyno Record... streetz looks small in my rearview :-D