Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

5.7 Gen 293 hp/ 269 Tq closed exhaust, stock cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by essential1
Actually it says,

lol. So I guess it runs. So either someone followed in your footsteps AND modified the trigger wheel so the 5 speed works, or they indertook this task themselves and found a way to make it work. Or they just used the 3.0 timing...

If I have a chance tomorrow i'll call and see WTF he's talking about. For some reason, I think I might get a good laugh out of this.

i bet its running 3.0 timing. it woudl not be running on a stock 3.0 ecu. now he could be running all 3.5 ecu and stuff but i doubt that.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

WOW nice numbers!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

OK i called JWT to get some info as they are def up on VQ cam stuff!

Clark helped me out a lot! He really knows what real customer service is about!

Some good notes:

IVT- old motors have 40 degrees advancement, the newer HR head system has 50 degrees of advancement.

EVT- old (rev up) 30 degrees, new HR is 40 degrees. This is actually retarding the cam.

There can be no valve damage done with stock cams and stock piston setup!!!!!!!!!!! Which i was pretty sure that was the case but its good to know!

Also we talked about the 09 maxima motor! I really didnt think about it but this motor DOES have DLC buckets!

Now im ready to get back on the dyno and mess with cam timing! I will probably gain some good mid range TQ from EVT. My top end might not change much.

All i know is this car pulls hard! All the way to redline its just
Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Video just added!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by SurraTT
OK i called JWT to get some info as they are def up on VQ cam stuff!

Clark helped me out a lot! He really knows what real customer service is about!

Some good notes:

IVT- old motors have 40 degrees advancement, the newer HR head system has 50 degrees of advancement.

EVT- old (rev up) 30 degrees, new HR is 40 degrees. This is actually retarding the cam.

There can be no valve damage done with stock cams and stock piston setup!!!!!!!!!!! Which i was pretty sure that was the case but its good to know!

Also we talked about the 09 maxima motor! I really didnt think about it but this motor DOES have DLC buckets!

Now im ready to get back on the dyno and mess with cam timing! I will probably gain some good mid range TQ from EVT. My top end might not change much.

All i know is this car pulls hard! All the way to redline its just
Very nice! That's good to know.

If I ever upgrade my camshafts, I am leaning strongly with going with JWT simply because I have heard nothing but good things about Clark's great customer service.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Very nice! That's good to know.

If I ever upgrade my camshafts, I am leaning strongly with going with JWT simply because I have heard nothing but good things about Clark's great customer service.

Yeah ! im glad i called him! i had no idea that the HR heads had 10 more degrees of travel!!! Wonder what that's gonna do!!

Good thing i can tune variable cams!

Oh yeah, im thinking the same thing when i want to get cams too! Idk if ill even do cams on this motor, id rather do a small build!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM

My friend shawn's 2007/8 Altima sedan 6mt VQ35 with SRI, Racingline ypipe, and custom 3" exhaust makes 295wheel with a uprev tune ....
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM

^ This guy is actually here?
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by IFuXwiTuZ
My friend shawn's 2007/8 Altima sedan 6mt VQ35 with SRI, Racingline ypipe, and custom 3" exhaust makes 295wheel with a uprev tune ....
GOOD!!! That means that Darren has even MORE power in the engine left!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Got Retrofit?

And I have a hairy ***hole.

What's your point again?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM

wait for a it, soon he will be back telling us about how his VQ35 is "different" and he can run a turbo as long as its only "8psi" on stock injectors safely without blowing his motor.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Crusher103
wait for a it, soon he will be back telling us about how his VQ35 is "different" and he can run a turbo as long as its only "8psi" on stock injectors safely without blowing his motor.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM

LOOK!!!!! Why yall gonna get on my man's DYNO page and post YALL dynos on here RUINING HIS STUFF!!!!????? If you want to show your dyno then CREATE YOUR OWN FREAKIN DYNO THREAD and post the numbers there!!!! STOP TRYING TO HATE ON DARREN!!!! You got 295whp with no headers and a UPREV tune and was at 270 BEFORE tune....NO HEADERS only y-pipe....hmmm....GREAT...post that on your separate forum!!!! Some people up in here so DAM rude and ignorant!!! When someone do something yall try to BASH and PUT people down!!!! Or post dumb stuff like "LOOK I DID BETTER THNA YOU!!" Like some freakin KIDS!!!! Darren car going to make MORE power N/A with NO CAMS than everyones car on here!!! He spent TONS of time in his forum documenting everything and is really humble about his project!!! Now IGNORANT FOOLS gonna try to get on here and try to put him down??? NO WAY....not having it!!! IGNORANT RUDE PEOPLE get off the forum and post your own crap there!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
LOOK!!!!! Why yall gonna get on my man's DYNO page and post YALL dynos on here RUINING HIS STUFF!!!!????? If you want to show your dyno then CREATE YOUR OWN FREAKIN DYNO THREAD and post the numbers there!!!! STOP TRYING TO HATE ON DARREN!!!! You got 295whp with no headers and a UPREV tune and was at 270 BEFORE tune....NO HEADERS only y-pipe....hmmm....GREAT...post that on your separate forum!!!! Some people up in here so DAM rude and ignorant!!! When someone do something yall try to BASH and PUT people down!!!! Or post dumb stuff like "LOOK I DID BETTER THNA YOU!!" Like some freakin KIDS!!!! Darren car going to make MORE power N/A with NO CAMS than everyones car on here!!! He spent TONS of time in his forum documenting everything and is really humble about his project!!! Now IGNORANT FOOLS gonna try to get on here and try to put him down??? NO WAY....not having it!!! IGNORANT RUDE PEOPLE get off the forum and post your own crap there!!!!!!!
Thats churches dyno which is well known to read very high. Its all good lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Yeah i seen that altima on Nicoclub. Not really comparable as its a dynopack.

I think dynopacks read highest out of all of em. So on a dynojet that car would not even hit 290 and probably not even 280's

Anyway the good thing about that altima is the first dyno was 275 and the last was 295 so he got 20 whp from tuning alone, now thats probably a real dyno tune. That's really the only thing that is useful on the dyno, comparing before and after on one car.

I could probably go to another dynojet and see different numbers, i could go to a dynopack and see well over 300, or a dyno dynamics and see really low numbers haha.

If i had my car fully tuned, my AFR is decent, timing is rough, and cam timing is really rough. Then i might could do 300 ish with closed cutout.

305 , 310 probably is not gong to happen on stock cams, and this i/m and header design. But then again this motor has never been messed with. The HR heads, i/m, 75mmtb, EVT, 10.6 compression, are showing their gains for sure.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by MIKERNM1990
Yea it verification! He make 295 whp for 4 mods

Links:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/time-for-...542554-30.html

List of mods:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/4178589-post2.html

Good Luck!
Originally Posted by ajcool2
Thats churches dyno which is well known to read very high. Its all good lol.
Thank you. High reading dynos are not impressive. Now if you guys dont mind just leave this thread. Your contribution is actually not useful.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM

OK so im trying to figure out much as i can about the variable cams.

This whole time i though EVT was for low end power. but this is strait from the FSM

" This makes it possible to control the shut/open timing of the exhaust
valve to increase engine torque and output in a range of high engine speed."

The stock haltech map runs 15 degrees of advancement from 3500 rpm all the way to redline.

Im backed it down to 11 and 10 from 6000 and up. (because i thought it was for low end power, so i advanced it more in the low / mid range. I tried to copy the stock ecu maps that i have gotten with osiris. So i guess that was not a good idea, as i could be leaving some power in there. I need to put it back to stock 15. And maybe even more then that.

My concern is damaging the motor due to piston to valve damage? Ive never herd of anyone messing up a VQ35 due to changing cam timing maps. But i need to find out if its possible and what are the limits.

With being able to tune IVT and EVT i think this motor is really capable of even more power and tq. Main thing is better curves.

Ive read where EVT and power output is mixed. some say there IS power in EVT some say there is no power in evt and to leave it at 0.........

So by my little test there def is power in EVT, now its a matter of finding how much and how the graph changes.

That run with evt working was running 15-20 in low end, 13-11 mid , and 11-9 at 6k+

So i need to decrease the low end advancement and add back to 15 in top end!

WHO IS WITH ME????????????
Well forgot all this advance/retard by 5 degrees at a time, I read what JWT said ^^^^^ the IVT on HR are running 50 degrees advance and EVT Hr up to 40 degree retarded.....I would go back to the default 15 degrees everywhere and run it! Then tune the bottom end FIRST and work your way to the top! For example low end: 20-30, mid: 15, top:15.....Low: 30-35, Mid: 15, top: 15 until you find where the low stops making power the start tuning the mid range once you find it's meaty part start tuning the top! I believe this setup has more power potential than you think I'll say it can be conservatively be tuned to 350whp! I'll be saving for this 7th gen motor or the nice gen engine after this!For my 5.5th gen...SurraTT you've done an awesome upgrade dude! Keep tuning!!!

Last edited by CMax03; 03-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by CMax03
Well forgot all this advance/retard by 5 degrees at a time, I read what JWT said ^^^^^ the IVT on HR are running 50 degrees advance and EVT Hr up to 40 degree retarded.....I would go back to the default 15 degrees everywhere and run it! Then tune the bottom end FIRST and work your way to the top! For example low end: 20-30, mid: 15, top:15.....Low: 30-35, Mid: 15, top: 15 until you find where the low stops making power the start tuning the mid range once you find it's meaty part start tuning the top! I believe this setup has more power potential than you think I'll say it can be conservatively be tuned to 350whp! I'll be saving for this 7th gen motor or the nice gen engine after this!For my 5.5th gen...SurraTT you've done an awesome upgrade dude! Keep tuning!!!

Yeah! Im glad i found out this motor has 10 more degrees! Very interesting! Yeah i put it back to stock ish. I plan to get back on the dyno and mess with some tuning but itll just take some time, and time on the dyno = $$$. I'm debating just letting a Haltech+VQ35 tuner mess with it.

Plan is to drive it right now though. I want to polish the wheels, that will take some time, and do some other stuff.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
G35

my stock G pulls 240 to the wheels....no racing pipe lines.. no 5inch cam shafts...dynoland tuned

what then!

(im a bud of surratts ive seen the max in person btw)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by G35
my stock G pulls 240 to the wheels....no racing pipe lines.. no 5inch cam shafts...dynoland tuned

what then!

(im a bud of surratts ive seen the max in person btw)

hahah

Wait till i get my hands on that G! VQ37 block VQ35HR heads, Haltech ecu replacement, Thennn you might keep up with the 5.7 Gen!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I love the numbers man! I will be putting the VQ G20 on a Dyno very soon. I signed up and posted when I seen this thread!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Awesome man.. Glad to see you finally get some good numbers out of it!

What's the most you made using the stock ECU/harness? Did you AFC tune a stock ECU or something? I have a customer who doesn't want to drop the cash for a standalone, and we're doing this swap into his Spec V. I'd love to get in there and tune it..

Travis
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch

What's the most you made using the stock ECU/harness? Did you AFC tune a stock ECU or something? I have a customer who doesn't want to drop the cash for a standalone, and we're doing this swap into his Spec V. I'd love to get in there and tune it..

Travis
I believe these are what you are looking for.
Stock UTEC
Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 AM

well,i think you might be tired of hearing this but....

GOOD JOB AND AWESOME NUMBERS!!!!

but seeing that this VQ has more compression(10.6),bigger ports ,bigger TB, better IM and HR style heads(and maybe DLC buckets) could it be that maybe has bigger valves?

anyway keep on that great work.... and IMO this seems to be te most promising VQ35 ever made
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by JandSauto
I love the numbers man! I will be putting the VQ G20 on a Dyno very soon. I signed up and posted when I seen this thread!
Cool!

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch

Travis

Thanks man! Im glad its finally doing something decent!

Stock ecu, was 234, then 250 with fuel added via cipher fuel injector test lol. It was running , but nothing like its running now!

Well if they are running a 09 Max motor with EVT, then he will def want to get a real tuning system that can run evt. If no EVT (altima motor) then he can get by with just a AFC or something. But of course will be leaving power in just tuning alone.

The Pnp Haltech system i do will work on the swapped sentras too.

Originally Posted by shrek
well,i think you might be tired of hearing this but....

GOOD JOB AND AWESOME NUMBERS!!!!

but seeing that this VQ has more compression(10.6),bigger ports ,bigger TB, better IM and HR style heads(and maybe DLC buckets) could it be that maybe has bigger valves?

anyway keep on that great work.... and IMO this seems to be te most promising VQ35 ever made
Haha Thanks!

You know what i think there is a difference with the valves, i think they are 1mm smaller. I need to look into it again though! Same as the HR heads.

Ohh yeah! Im already working out the game plan for the next dyno trip!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

http://www.sg-motorsport.com/?p=1110

Very good read!

I think they use a dynopack dyno but still!

And i wonder why they never went to a rev up motor, or a HR?????????????

EVT makes top end power! I got 5hp with it !
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM

nice numbers darren!!

you may benefit from some bigger injectors
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Yea. I did a copy and paste from sg mototsports to all motor threads on full informative w/ dyno pic. I posted it then next 2 minutes and I deleted it on midnight because I have reason same as what I post http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...-vs-tomei.html and see what the happen with it. AS IM BANNER
Yeah those where small cams tho. They are running a much bigger cam in the motor now!

If he use http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=516

It will gain power as revup or HR!
Yeah that will allow some adjustment but its static, there is no changing it once its set. The great thing about the newer motors is its Variable, controlled by the computer.

Originally Posted by white_spec-v
nice numbers darren!!

you may benefit from some bigger injectors

Thanks!!!!

Yeah i have DW 380's right now they are at 80% DC at 7100 rpm. So they are theoretically the perfect size for the motor right now. If i ever get them 90+DC then ill upgrade. I would imagine from 80% to 90% would be quite a bit of HP, and with stock cams idk how far this motor will go!

Whats goin on with the spec? What EMS you running?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM

Haha Thanks!

You know what i think there is a difference with the valves, i think they are 1mm smaller. I need to look into it again though! Same as the HR heads.

Ohh yeah! Im already working out the game plan for the next dyno trip!
yeah,now i remember that the HR has smaller valves,and outflows the other VQ's,maybe it would benefit from bigger valves if you decide to build the heads,

but the real question is ,why did they went with a smaller valve on HR VQ's??? maybe there is something as "too big" on the old style VQ's or maybe it was to give the VQ37's a chance to look more powerful?? we will never know
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Hmm... What VQ Engine FWD 2002-2006 for degrees advancement for Intake? But I'm NOT SURE about exhaust? Im guess 25 degree no variable?

I was referring to the older Rev up Z that was the first EVT VQ's

The 7th gen max is the only FWD EVT VQ out there. Not sure bout the new vans and such tho.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

No.. HR have bigger valve. Where do you got information from??
Where are you getting your information from? lol

Im looking in the Factory Service manual

09 Valves-

Diameter Intake=36.6-36.9 mm Exhaust=30.2-30.5mm

02- Intake=37.0-37.3 Exhaust= 31.2-31.5

So yeah the HR heads have ~1mm Smaller valve head diameter.

But the HR valves have a longer length! Intake is about 1mm longer, the exhaust is about .5mm longer
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by shrek
yeah,now i remember that the HR has smaller valves,and outflows the other VQ's,maybe it would benefit from bigger valves if you decide to build the heads,

but the real question is ,why did they went with a smaller valve on HR VQ's??? maybe there is something as "too big" on the old style VQ's or maybe it was to give the VQ37's a chance to look more powerful?? we will never know
Yeah 1mm smaller, BUT the intake is 1mm LONGER. so i guess that makes up for being smaller.

Its def known the HR heads flow very very well so the smaller valve must not have much impact on it. I haven't really seen anyone with bigger valves in a hr head.

Would be fun to mess around with for sure, but parts and stuff can add up VERY quick!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM

I was referring to the older Rev up Z that was the first EVT VQ's

The 7th gen max is the only FWD EVT VQ out there. Not sure bout the new vans and such tho.
Since our engines have no EVT do you think these will help?

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=516

They are supposed to be adjustable exhaust cam gears for the VQ35DE. They are not variable like the intake ones because once you set it they stay like that and cannot be electronically adjusted through rpm range like intake can but I think it would be better than nothing if you are serious about getting every drop of power out of the car. I was hoping they could flatten out the torque curve instead of it looking like a mountain......

They only $140, but the labor in getting those in is going to be alot of money. I believe you probably going to have to take the engine out and get timing cover off, chain, etc......gonna be alot of work and I ahven't been able to find any dyno results online either....
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Oh! I get confused which is HR for maxima or 350z? I believe 350z HR have bigger valve. But I've never know about Maxima HR have small diameter valve. I not understand why Maxima HR have small diameter
valve? They should same as diameter valve.

Thank you for help me a GRAMMAR! lol

The 7th gen maxima has "HR"heads

HR means 07 08 350Z HR. Its a different motor then vq35de, it has dual throttlebodys

the 7th gen maxima vq35de, uses the heads from the 350z HR. The HR heads from a 7th gen maxima and a HR 350z are the same head castings.

The HR heads seem to really be a key for making power.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Since our engines have no EVT do you think these will help?

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=516

They are supposed to be adjustable exhaust cam gears for the VQ35DE. They are not variable like the intake ones because once you set it they stay like that and cannot be electronically adjusted through rpm range like intake can but I think it would be better than nothing if you are serious about getting every drop of power out of the car. I was hoping they could flatten out the torque curve instead of it looking like a mountain......

They only $140, but the labor in getting those in is going to be alot of money. I believe you probably going to have to take the engine out and get timing cover off, chain, etc......gonna be alot of work and I ahven't been able to find any dyno results online either....
Im not really sure man, cuz that would leave the cam retarded at one angle for all engine speeds. even at idle. I think that's more for a race type application.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Smaller Valves = Higher Velocity.

The HR (09+ Maxima) Head Int/Exh ports are bigger than the typical DE (02-08 Maxima Motors) ports.

This goes to be the same on the L32 Altima motor.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by aackshun
Smaller Valves = Higher Velocity.

The HR (09+ Maxima) Head Int/Exh ports are bigger than the typical DE (02-08 Maxima Motors) ports.

This goes to be the same on the L32 Altima motor.

Oh ok hmm
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

So whats the bore, stroke, and center to center rod length on these HR motors?

Generally if the rod/stroke ratio is higher you want to use slightly smaller valves. VQ30 R/S is 2.012 and VQ35DE R/S is around 1.7x IIRC.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Thanks!!!!

Yeah i have DW 380's right now they are at 80% DC at 7100 rpm. So they are theoretically the perfect size for the motor right now. If i ever get them 90+DC then ill upgrade. I would imagine from 80% to 90% would be quite a bit of HP, and with stock cams idk how far this motor will go!

Whats goin on with the spec? What EMS you running?
waiting on trav to send me the proefi. went with the 48 ecu. we had a little mishap before shipping out, so I gotta wait a little longer but its all good. once i get everything installed and the car on the dyno, i'll let you know the numbers.

Quick Reply: 5.7 Gen 293 hp/ 269 Tq closed exhaust, stock cams