Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 07:46 AM

First Oil Change

I was wondering if their is a particular oil filter(i.e. Nissan, Wix, Purolator) I should use for my first oil change on my 2003 Max SE? The car only has little bit over a 1,000 miles on it. Also what oil should I use Castrol or Pennzoil? I plan on using Mobil 1 oil after the complimentary 3750 mile oil change. I just wanted to change the oil myself before I make a long road trip this weekend; is the oil filter particular tight coming from the dealer? Let me know. TIA
Old 10-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: First Oil Change

Originally posted by eperalta
I was wondering if their is a particular oil filter(i.e. Nissan, Wix, Purolator) I should use for my first oil change on my 2003 Max SE? The car only has little bit over a 1,000 miles on it. Also what oil should I use Castrol or Pennzoil? I plan on using Mobil 1 oil after the complimentary 3750 mile oil change. I just wanted to change the oil myself before I make a long road trip this weekend; is the oil filter particular tight coming from the dealer? Let me know. TIA

Use Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 or STP S6941 (at AutoZone); your choice

If you get the Nissan one, INSIST that you get the above part number for the 95 to 2k1 VQ engine, as Nissan cost combined the filter from the SR20DE engine for use in the VQ. It is a much smaller filter physically. Although no one has yet to cut both open for a comparison, I would rather err on the side of common sense and use the bigger filter.

My personal preference is the STP S6941.

Use Castrol GTX 5W/30 for 3k intervals until you get to 10k or so to properly break-in the VQ. DO NOT go to Mobil 1 before the 10k point. VQs take a while to fully break-in.

See the link in my sig for more info.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:56 AM

I use the smaller Nissan OEM filter with Mobil 1 on my 2K1 and I have not had any problems. The smaller filter is standard on late production 2K1's, and on 2K2 and 2K3 Maximas, I believe. Another option is the NAPA Gold filter as I've heard good things about it. Just don't use the NAPA Silver and stay away from Fram. I went to Mobil 1 at 3K miles and I have not regretted it.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by jkratzer
I use the smaller Nissan OEM filter with Mobil 1 on my 2K1 and I have not had any problems.Good luck.
My contention doesn't resolve around problems, as the SR20DE filter maintains the same thread type and bypass pressure (14psi) settings as the "old" VQ OEM filter does. It revolves around available filtration area.

A good physical size comparison is as follows:

M1-110 = "old" 15208-9E000 (now known as 15208-00001 due to a part number supersede) OEM filter
M1-108 = SR20DE 15208-00006 OEM filter

The STP S6941 is the best oversized filter available, and currently the only one I've been able to find that takes into account the bypass pressure setting. There are other possibilities, particularly from Purolator, but the bypass settings are below 10psi, which isn't something I'm comfortable recommending.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:42 AM

I live in Northern Virginia, so there are not many Autozones around here, correct me if I am wrong(nearest one is in Mount Vernon). However, the MAX is worth it; I will also use Castrol GTX 5w30. I know I should refer to the owner's manual but how much oil does 2003 Max take, 4.5 qts from the bottle? Please let me know, I am at work and do not have access to my owner's manual at the moment. TIA
Old 10-17-2002, 07:15 AM

I live in Northern Virginia, so there are not many Autozones around here, correct me if I am wrong(nearest one is in Mount Vernon). However, the MAX is worth it; I will also use Castrol GTX 5w30. I know I should refer to the owner's manual but how much oil does 2003 Max take, 4.5 qts from the bottle? Please let me know, I am at work and do not have access to my owner's manual at the moment. TIA
On Maxima VQs it's best to put a little over 4 quarts and wait a couple of days and then check the level.

Just buy a 5 quart jug of the GTX, which you can get at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. They are $6 or $7.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I have another question I just called Autozone they told me for a Nissan the Autozone filter is "STP S6607". I was wondering if the STP S6941 is from another make and model, not that I have a problem. I value your opinion. I just want to know, cause the Autozone near my house doesn't carry STP S6941
Old 10-17-2002, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I have another question I just called Autozone they told me for a Nissan the Autozone filter is "STP S6607". I was wondering if the STP S6941 is from another make and model, not that I have a problem. I value your opinion. I just want to know, cause the Autozone near my house doesn't carry STP S6941

The S6607 is an OEM equivalent filter, but it is quite a bit tinier than the OEM Nissan one. The S6941 is an oversized filter application, used by several Maxima members here, both on VQ30 and VQ35 engines, without issue. IIRC, the S6941 is used on some mid 90s Porsche models.....
Old 10-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Hi Ya Bill,

If the STP 6941 isn't available, wouldn't there be a 6941 in Wal-Mart's Super Tech filter - they're both Champions, and I assume have identical build, filtration and pressure specs? BTW: Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the spec'd Purolator OEM equiv. is a Premium Plus 14610 (no spec'd/warranted Pure One for this application yet). It's a little longer and a tad bigger around than the tiny Nissan filter, and since it is spec'd for the Max., the pressure settings should also be okay and has at least equivalent filtration quality as STP/Super Tech. Or am I getting my engines confused??? (I'm thinking of my late '01 that came with little filter.)

-Doug-
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by KCDoug
Hi Ya Bill,

If the STP 6941 isn't available, wouldn't there be a 6941 in Wal-Mart's Super Tech filter - they're both Champions, and I assume have identical build, filtration and pressure specs? BTW: Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the spec'd Purolator OEM equiv. is a Premium Plus 14610 (no spec'd/warranted Pure One for this application yet). It's a little longer and a tad bigger around than the tiny Nissan filter, and since it is spec'd for the Max., the pressure settings should also be okay and has at least equivalent filtration quality as STP/Super Tech. Or am I getting my engines confused??? (I'm thinking of my late '01 that came with little filter.)

-Doug-
SuperTech doesn't have a ST6941.

In fact, I've noticed SuperTech only has "high volume" selling filters.....probably why they are $2....

14610 is the proper replacement, as is the 14622 (although it's smaller and direct crosses the SR20DE). I don't generally like Purolators, though. When you hold one in your hand, and then hold a Champion-made filter (SuperTech, Mobil 1, STP, etc.), they feel more substantial.....

I've stated this previously:

It is, but I have a couple of issues with Purolators in General:

A) Their relative outside can thickness; it's on a par with being 30 to 50% thinner than the outside can thickness on STPs, Boschs, Mobil 1's, etc.

B) Bypass valve is on the bottom rather than the top of the filter, which isn't optimal.

The 14610, IIRC, is a bigger filter than the 14622, which I believe is tiny. I may have these reversed. Otherwise it is similar to the new OEM VQ35DE filter now used by Nissan.

If I had to go Purolator would prefer using the bigger 14610, but Purolator has yet to release a PureONE version of that filter.

The 14620 is out due to an inherent design "flaw" that can allow leaks.

For the price you're paying for the PureONE, the Bosch 3323 would do just as good of a job and would not have the concerns I listed above since it is made by Champion Labs.....

Late '01s began the use of the Nissan OEM 15208-00006 SR20DE filter, which I believe crosses to the 14622.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

SuperTech doesn't have a ST6941.

In fact, I've noticed SuperTech only has "high volume" selling filters.....probably why they are $2....

14610 is the proper replacement, as is the 14622 (although it's smaller and direct crosses the SR20DE). I don't generally like Purolators, though. When you hold one in your hand, and then hold a Champion-made filter (SuperTech, Mobil 1, STP, etc.), they feel more substantial.....For the price you're paying for the PureONE, the Bosch 3323 would do just as good of a job and would not have the concerns I listed above since it is made by Champion Labs.....

========================
Bill - are you saying the larger (non-spec'd) Bocsch 3323 will work on my '01 Max -- it crosses with STP 6941? If so, has this been tried to your knowledge?

-D-
Old 10-18-2002, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by KCDoug

========================
Bill - are you saying the larger (non-spec'd) Bocsch 3323 will work on my '01 Max -- it crosses with STP 6941? If so, has this been tried to your knowledge?

-D-
3323 is the OEM size replacement. I would choose it over a PureONE filter.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FYI, the NAPA Gold is a re-labelled Wix filter. Wix's are good filters too

DW

Originally posted by jkratzer
I use the smaller Nissan OEM filter with Mobil 1 on my 2K1 and I have not had any problems. The smaller filter is standard on late production 2K1's, and on 2K2 and 2K3 Maximas, I believe. Another option is the NAPA Gold filter as I've heard good things about it. Just don't use the NAPA Silver and stay away from Fram. I went to Mobil 1 at 3K miles and I have not regretted it.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: First Oil Change

Use Castrol GTX 5W/30 for 3k intervals until you get to 10k or so to properly break-in the VQ. DO NOT go to Mobil 1 before the 10k point. VQs take a while to fully break-in.
10k! I'm on my 2nd change with Mobil 1 (changing it every 3k) and am at 7000 miles, am I setting my engine up for failure? I was under the impression that today's cars did not require a strict break in period due to advances in machining and engine design, some cars even come from the factory with synthetic in the pan.
Please tell me if I've porked my engine!

Lonz

2k2 SE 6-spd
Old 10-28-2002, 07:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: First Oil Change

Originally posted by Lonz

10k! I'm on my 2nd change with Mobil 1 (changing it every 3k) and am at 7000 miles, am I setting my engine up for failure? I was under the impression that today's cars did not require a strict break in period due to advances in machining and engine design, some cars even come from the factory with synthetic in the pan.
Please tell me if I've porked my engine!

Lonz

2k2 SE 6-spd

You're not going to cause "failure", just a greater allowance for higher than average wear metals. It will take even longer for the VQ to break-in.......I'm talking 15 to 20k and up.

I do recommend doing 3k intervals on dino oil until you get to 10 to 12k. Do not extend drain intervals until that point. Right now, the oil is acting as a "flushing" agent to the metals naturally produced by break-in as an engine "seats" itself. I prefer using dino oil because more wear will occur and allow the engine to seat itself quicker and (in my opinion) better than using a synthetic, which by its very property tends to not allow much wear to take place. Kind of ironic, but you do want to allow wear to take place early in the VQs life.

VQs just tend to take a while to break-in. It's just one of their traits.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:50 PM

Fram?!

Why does everybody diss Fram? Just curious.

I've used fram oil filters on all of my previous cars, '91 Honda Accord, '91 Acura Legend, '92 Acura Vigor...and now on my '00 Maxima SE. No problems. Whatsoever. None.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:30 PM

Re: Fram?!

"I plan on using Mobil 1 oil after the complimentary 3750 mile oil change."

Compimentary? As in free? Do they do anything for free?
Old 10-28-2002, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

See for yourself right here;

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Pay special attention to the comment by the Allied signal production engineer.

DW

Originally posted by Green Ox

I've used fram oil filters on all of my previous cars, '91 Honda Accord, '91 Acura Legend, '92 Acura Vigor...and now on my '00 Maxima SE. No problems. Whatsoever. None.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:58 AM

Re: Re: Fram?!

Originally posted by dwapenyi
See for yourself right here;

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Pay special attention to the comment by the Allied signal production engineer.

DW

Well I'll be!!! Thanks for the tip...
Old 10-29-2002, 08:24 AM

Judging from that "study", the Motorcraft filters seem like the best way to go. It uses Purolator Pure One element and a Premium Plus case, which were both ranked highest in his study. Who would have thought that the fella's at Ford Motocraft got it right?
Old 10-29-2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by olincoles
Judging from that "study", the Motorcraft filters seem like the best way to go. It uses Purolator Pure One element and a Premium Plus case, which were both ranked highest in his study. Who would have thought that the fella's at Ford Motocraft got it right?
The filter media claim is not true, according to Purolator reps (at least in current production). Motorcraft specs their own filter media, which by all accounts is quite inferior to the PureONE filter media (on the efficiency of 25 micron filtration as opposed to 10 micron for the PureONE filter media). While the Motorcraft part does share the other internals with the PureONE/Premium Plus filters, the filter media alone would cause me to avoid the Motorcraft equivalent in any form. It isn't poorly made, but the filter element is not a Purolator equivalent.

Actually that study is fairly old. There are other ones out there. The main thing is all consistently show Fram oil filters to be inferior in the quality department.

Here is a better, more recent study:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
Old 10-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Green Ox

I used to use Fram about 2 years ago. If you want to use a cheap filter, the regular Purolator is much better than Fram. Fram filters are poorly made and cheap to buy, (hitting a price point) for the mass market users at WalMart.

Do yourself a favor and go to Autozone by picking up a Bosch 3323. A great aftermarket filter for less than $6.

Where are you in the Atlanta area?

John
Old 10-29-2002, 09:43 AM

the filter media alone would cause me to avoid the Microsoft equivalent in any form.
What does Microsoft have to do with it?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:45 AM

What does Microsoft have to do with it?
That's just a good rule in general: avoid Microsoft

Must be one of those Freudian things.......
Old 10-29-2002, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Fram?!

Originally posted by johnny2kgle
I used to use Fram about 2 years ago. If you want to use a cheap filter, the regular Purolator is much better than Fram. Fram filters are poorly made and cheap to buy, (hitting a price point) for the mass market users at WalMart.

And even that is debateable, as Wal-Mart was smart enough to contract out Champion Labs to OEM their SuperTech line of filters, and use a synthetic filter media, and cost $1 less than most Fram oil filters. Too bad the only one that fits on the VQs is the thimble-sized ST6607.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:50 AM

That's just a good rule in general: avoid Microsoft
So what O/S did you use to reach this forum?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:55 AM

So what O/S did you use to reach this forum?
Do as I say, not as I do.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:58 AM

Do as I say, not as I do.
I made a point and even traded my Newbie rank for Maxima Enthusiast. Must be my Birthday or something!