Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

castrol syntec blend

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 05:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

castrol syntec blend

does anyone have any experience using the Syntec Blend vs. the GTX. My Max has 47K and the original owner used dino oil only. Would like to switch to a synthetic oil so I have been using the blend to gradually switch to Amsoil or Mobil 1. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've been using Castrol GTX ever since I've been driving. I've submitted Oil samples for analysis and they have always come back with excellent ware reports. I switched from Castrol GTX to the Sythetic Blend and my ware reports didn't come back as clean as with the GTX reports. I immediately switched back to GTX and my ware reports are now clean again.

Do yourself a favor, stick with Castrol GTX and change your oil every 3K miles. Take a look at Bill's spread sheet at the top of this forum. Castrol GTX provides the most repetative clean ware characteristics of any oil on there.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You dont need to "gradually" switch. If you're going to switch, just switch. It doesnt make a difference.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:27 PM

GTX seems to be the best oil from Castrol for now. Save your money and use that instead of the blend. You can just switch no problem to a real synthetic any time, no need to ease into it.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been using Mobil1 for a while and recently tried GTX cuz Mobil1 wasn't on sale. Engine idles rougher and lower. Revs are more restricted. I'm going back to synthetic.

Maybe I should try Blackstone just to see what happens.

Jae
Old 07-14-2003, 02:46 PM

They use GTX in M3s. I think if it is good enough to use in an M3 then it is good enough to use in the max.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

BMW engines <> Maxima engines <> Honda engines <> Chevy engines, etc.

Please don't blanket assess an oil's performance because it used in your mom's dad's cousin's sister's brother's daughter's niece's grandad's car or because a certain carmaker uses a certain oil. Different engines exact different stresses which can affect which oil is "optimal" for a particular vehicle. Driving habits, location, oil history can also have a profound affect on which oil is "best".

Castrol GTX is the highest ranked dino oil here because of real world analysis reports on actual Maxima engines. It consistently shows lower wear and less shear than other dino and synthetic blend oil analysis reports have shown.

Castrol Sytec Blend is about the worst oil for Maximas based upon actual analysis results. Your money is better spent on other things.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Indecisive311
They use GTX in M3s. I think if it is good enough to use in an M3 then it is good enough to use in the max.
Who is they?

BMW doesn't not use Castrol GTX in anything, especially the M3. They do use a very unique formulation from Castrol in a 10W-60 in the newer M3's, but it's not easily available and is very expensive. t is NOT the same as anything you can buy off the shelf.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:09 AM

My bad everyone, I was just told this by a performance shop here in town when I was getting my dyno done. I saw them using it, and thats exactly what they told me. Another orger was there with me so he can back me up. But since uwannabmw... I'm sure you know what kind of oil they use. All I was saying was that I'm sure GTX is a good choice.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Sin

My bad everyone, I was just told this by a performance shop here in town when I was getting my dyno done. I saw them using it, and thats exactly what they told me. Another orger was there with me so he can back me up. But since uwannabmw... I'm sure you know what kind of oil they use. All I was saying was that I'm sure GTX is a good choice.
The specially made oil by Castrol for BMW, which BMW sourced Castrol to formulate specifically for their M engines. It also costs like $16 US per quart/litre.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:18 PM

Wow, if I had an M3 and someone poured GTX in it I'd flip out. It is a very good oil for dino (I've been known to use it in some cars), but not in an M3.