Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

What oil and oil filter should I use? Can I switch to synthetic? What viscosity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM

changing dino oil not even close to 3k miles is over kill and that is a waste of $$. keep in mind that syn oil is better than dino oil. syn oil in general, you can change it every 6 months or 6k miles (6/6). even though RP oil is not rated as top syn oil you still can use for every 6/6. there will be endless debate on amsoil and m1 oil. there are some tests that m1 oil is rated as 2nd best. so what, if you plan to change oil at every 6/6 interval. m1 lasts over than 6k miles and you can easily buy m1 oil at most auto store and super mart like walmart at discounted price. to answer your qustion, RP for 6/6 is fine and don't sweat it, remember use it with good oil filter.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
BK1
Hello

I bought the Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 filters from courtesy parts last year. They don't seem to be carrying these anymore. They sell another one any opinions on the one they replaced it with. I have a 1997. New part number is: 15208-00001
Old 03-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Up to now... Are M1-110 or OEM 15208-9E000 the best choice for VQ30?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo459sx
No mention of Quaker State?
Its not even worth the review. Quaker State is a sorry motor oil in my use. I used it on my 88 Maxima once because it was the cheapest. Never again, not even 3k miles used and the car started smoking out of nowhere. I immediately changed the oil to my normal use of Castrol GTX never again have I had any issues.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:26 AM

dang that is some good info but i have a 4th gen and i been using castrol full synthetic and a fram tough guard filter and ive never had a prob. ive been running these since 110K and im at 195K so is this going to give me probs latr on.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:09 PM

Hey guys, what's the difference between Mobil M1-105 filter and M1-108 for Maximas? I only find the M1-108 for sale as the correct filter for VQ35 maximas.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
2002 maxima se

I have a 01 max se and it has got 97,000 miles now, I had it on 65,000 since then I've been having the oil change from firestone they use thier own high mileage 10w30 semi synthetic with thier own company filter, I have had no problem with engine proformance or anything. But now I am planning to swich with "Mobile 1 fully syn 10w30" so in order to do that do I have to have my engine flushed or I can just buy the mobile 1 oil and filter and drain all the cheap firestone oil? how should i come up with mobile 1 any idea or advise would be appreciated. AND ALSO WHAT TYPE OF TRANY OIL SHOULD I USE TO GET BETTER PERFORMANCE??? AS I GOT 97000 MILES ON 01 MAX SE. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 PM

I'm having the same exact dilema. My 1984 Maxima is running like a champ
with 155,000 miles and I would switch to syntheic if it helped extend the
life of my beloved Datsun but I'm worried it's too late in the game.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by OC guy
I have a 01 max se and it has got 97,000 miles now, I had it on 65,000 since then I've been having the oil change from firestone they use thier own high mileage 10w30 semi synthetic with thier own company filter, I have had no problem with engine proformance or anything. But now I am planning to swich with "Mobile 1 fully syn 10w30" so in order to do that do I have to have my engine flushed or I can just buy the mobile 1 oil and filter and drain all the cheap firestone oil? how should i come up with mobile 1 any idea or advise would be appreciated. AND ALSO WHAT TYPE OF TRANY OIL SHOULD I USE TO GET BETTER PERFORMANCE??? AS I GOT 97000 MILES ON 01 MAX SE. PLEASE HELP!!!
Bump Bump plz
Old 04-26-2006, 04:22 PM

it's fine to change your dino oil to syn oil at your high milage. go ahead make that switch and don't sweat it. any syn oil brand can mix with any dino or syn oil. for tranny, go buy mobile syn because you can buy it anywhere. as long as you stick to your oil change interval any brand should be fine. you are asking these questions because you have been reading some folks having leaks after changing from dino to syn. those leaks were there to begin with and waiting to happen. to answer your question, go ahead and do it. lots of folks have done it. good luck.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 PM
2002 maxima se

^tnx man appreciate ur answer.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM

This blue filter was on my Maxima when I bought the car... Love
the Japanese Characters on the side of it. Is a regular dealer
bought oil filter?

Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got my first Maxima (-99 SE) and i put Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 in there.
Anyone has experiences about this oil(?) ..just to know that I did right solution
Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
KK1

Engine OILS

Originally Posted by bill99gxe
Recommended oils for all Maxima engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:
  • Dino and "Blend" oils:

Castrol GTX 5W/30
    Chevron Supreme 5W/30
    Mobil 1 Drive Clean 5W/30
    Mobil 1 Drive Clean Plus 5W/30
    Pennzoil PureBase 5W/30
    ULX-110 5W/30

Drain Interval: Up to 5k
  • Synthetic oil:

Amsoil TSO Series 2000 0W/30 Synthetic
    Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W/30
    Amsoil ASF 5W/30 Synthetic
    Redline 5W/30

Drain interval: Up to 10k with oil filter change halfway through chosen interval (i.e. 8k drain interval -> 4k oil filter change)

NOTE: For hot climates (i.e. south), 10W/30 can be substituted and in colder climates (i.e. north), 0W/30 can be substituted.

Oils to stay away from IF going over 3,000 mile intervals:
  • Any Valvoline Oil (consistent sub-par analysis results, all tend to shear down real quickly; additive packages are inferior to other brands)
  • Castrol Syntec Blend Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic Oil [NOT GTX] (consistent so-so to sup-part analyses results and shady marketing practices)
  • Royal Purple Oil (thins in viscosity relatively quickly and too expensive considering there are other synthetic oils that do not thin as fast that are less expensive)

NOTE: These oils will protect fine up to 3,000 miles, they just don't represent a good value based upon their additive package and/or their oil analysis reports for Maxima-specific engines. It does not mean they "suck".

Recommended Oil Filters for VQ engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:
  • Mobil 1 M1-105 (fits VQ35DE only)
  • Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 ONLY (for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)
  • Mobil 1 M1-110 (fits both VQ engines, but bypass valve isn't as good as M1-105 filter)
  • Amsoil SDF-20 (fits both VQ engines)

Oil Filters to avoid:
  • Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (specified for VQ35DE by Nissan dealer; refuse to purchase this filter as it has cardboard endcaps like low quality Fram filters; insist on the dealer using the 15208-9E000 oil filter as it has a better overall construction quality)
  • STP S6941 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; Some fitment issues on VQ35DE engines, so only VQ30DE engines should use this one)
  • Bosch 3323 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)
  • Any SuperTech filter (Due to production change in mid-2003 to Mexico that has resulted in inferior quality)
  • Any filter made by Fram (consistently poor construction quality)
  • Amsoil SDF-13 (pricier than SDF-20 and smaller)
  • Mobil 1 M1-108 (pricier than M1-110 and smaller)

hy
I am using Mobil1 5W40, is it good or not?
Nissan says it should be SG or SH, that is mineral oil,
does it protect engine better?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM
KK1

hy

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
Got the info for you...

The EaO-20 and the 21 are very close in size to one another, but the primary difference is in the by-pass valve. The by-pass valve on the EaO-20 is calibrated to the same specs as the recommended EAO-13, so if you elected to substitute a filter for the 13, then the 20 would be most appropriate. Opening pressure on the EaO-20 and the EaO-13 is 8-11 psid whereas the EaO-21 is calibrated at 13-19 psid.

Filter dimensions are as follows:

EaO-13: H: 3.402"
OD: 2.685"
ByPass Valve: 8-11 psid

EaO-20: H: 3.194"
OD: 3.252"
Bypass Valve: 8-11 psid

EaO-21: H: 3.141"
OD: 3.660
ByPass Valve 13-19 psid

Hope this helps...

what you think of K&N oil filter HP1010?
thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by KK1
hy
I am using Mobil1 5W40, is it good or not?
Nissan says it should be SG or SH, that is mineral oil,
does it protect engine better?

You should be using 5w30, not 5w40!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help regarding changing engine oil for my 2001 nissan maxima

Hello! I just want to ask regarding the estimated amount of oil that I have to use in my nissan maxima 2001 w/ 98k miles on it. This will be my first time to change the engine oil by myself. I know that I can use the oil dipstick but I just want to know how many quarts of oil I have to buy...Kind of innocent...sorry! Thanks in advance! JP of Chicago.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM

hey i have a quick question, i will be switching to synthetic in my 02 maxima, what i have planned is mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and a nissan 9E000 filter. What i am wondering is if i can just put the synthetic in or do i have to run that auto-rx stuff? The engine has 57,000 miles, no leaks or anything. Also would 6200 miles be an okay oil change interval? thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
hey i have a quick question, i will be switching to synthetic in my 02 maxima, what i have planned is mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and a nissan 9E000 filter. What i am wondering is if i can just put the synthetic in or do i have to run that auto-rx stuff? The engine has 57,000 miles, no leaks or anything. Also would 6200 miles be an okay oil change interval? thanks.
why dont you just make that 6253.6 miles? Cmon man you seem concerned about your car which means you care what you put in it! So dont go pat 5k without an oil change! As For all of you is it okay to change oil on a car with 120 to 140k miles to synthetic. Well let me tell you I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 weight on a 96 maxima with 190k miles on it and not a single problem. My personal prefrence right now is Nissan oil Filter (go to dealer to buy them!) First off they are made in Japan, which means they are imported and Japan makes good products such as the cars you guys are driving and are in love with. Also It costs like half as much as a mobil 1 filter which isn't any better but way more expensive. Howerer I do love their actual Oil which is one of the best! As for what weight, use 10w30 in summer, anything higher than 32F or 0C and in the winter months switch over to 5w30 same oil. But do use 10w 30 in summer days since it is thicker and therefore protects the engines better even in the north such as where i live! It does get to be 80 which is high enough. Well i figuired i throw my 2 cents in so there you have it!
Old 06-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

ok guys, the dude at Murray's Auto Parts told me since my car has "high" miles, told me to use 10W-40. I live in Chicago, IL. Should I take his advice? This will be the second time I'm going to be doing the oil change myself, screw the mechanics....The first time I got 10W-30 Castrol GTX. What do you guys have to say that can help me out?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM

anyone using maxlife 5w-30??
Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM

Believe it or not, Iv been using castrol GTX sythentic 20w/50, just for the added protection. I have a 98' GLE, My car has 113k miles on it should I use something a little finer? Any suggestions would help. Also what is this AMSoil stuff? is it like the Lucas? better, If I decide to switch what would be a good weight?

Sorry if this is a repost, which Im sure it is....
Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 AM

Oil

Originally Posted by lubricity
Well boys and girls, as Popeye once said, " I can't stands anymore!"
I have a lubricant company and do over 100 oil analsys a month. And there is some good info and some bull here.
FIRST OIL:
I sell many brands so I'm not going to be partial to one. And I won't benifit anyway.
Oil is made up of two parts. The base oil and the additive package. If you start with a good base oil, it will make a good oil. ALL major manufactures used to use crap base oil. Now they are "SUPPOSED" to use a better base oil to pass the new spec. There are oils being questioned right now. Because they passed the new spec. But when some oil was pulled from the shelf, it could not pass the spec (4 times). So are the oil companies playing games? YES It revolves around price. The average person walks into K-Mart. A wall of oil is there. He buys the cheapest. So you being the exec. of Maxima Oil Co. will not put $.20 cents more per quart in your oil, why, because it won't sell. Remember, ALL the majors do not want to be in the lubricate oil business. Including Mobil, exxon, Vavoline, etc. There is no money in it.
Most manufactures have "ONE" good oil in their line-up. But they all have lots of crap oil. If the seal on the back says it passes the "C" spec as well as the "S" spec required by car manufactures. It is a better oil.
Now as for specific oils. I strongly disagree with the list posted in the beginning of this thread. Castrol GTX, give me a break! Castrol Syntec has it all over GTX. Ams Oil, ok, but WAY over priced for the qulality. Mobil 1, ok, but it thins out quickly. Vavoline synthetic an ok oil. There are only two SUPERIOR mineral oils out there. Texas Rifinery and Lubrication Engineeres. Both can not be bought at retail centers. As for price, cost is very close to the synthetics on the market. But both perform as well or sometimes BETTER than the synthetics. Exception is high and low temps. Both not a concern unless you live north of the border.
As for the NEW high miles oils. Just a ploy to get IDIOTS to buy their products.
Synthetics: If you want max HP, there is only one choice-Royal Purple. It is HALF the cost of AmsOil and TWICE as good. If you run any of the following synthetis: RP, AmsOil, Mobil1, Vavoline, Penz, Redline, etc. You will be ok. It is a matter of availability and which Church you go to.
Swithing to synthetics. No problem. The only concern is if you switch a motor with more than 20,000 miles over. Especially if you or the previous owner was using cheap oil. It may consume some oil in the beginning. NOT A PROBLEM. It is cleaning the ring lands out. The better oils will have a higher "Solventcy" or the ability to clean the garbage build up in the motor. Until this process is done, depending how you drive, it will consume some. So just check you oil frequently.
As for filters. The only filter to NOT use is FRAM. No exception here. They colapse internally. You can only see it once the filter is off. And that is buy looking in the center of the filter. We blew 3 motors in this area. (They payed to fix them) It is spelled out in a couple farm equipment owners manuals that it VOIDS the warrentee if a Fram is used. So if they print it in there manuals, it is SUPSTANTIAL.
Best filter: WIX. Not by my say so. But from several studies done by organizations.
The question of changing a filter and not the oil. It is a well known practice. I put on 45,000 miles a year. I run my oil 20,000 miles. Changing a filter at 5, 10, 15,000 miles. I have Tractor and Trailers going 80,000 miles between changes. Can this be done with the average oils, NO. No matter what oil you use. It needs to stay clean. If you put and oil in and it stays "clean looking" for a long time. It isn't working. It shold become blackish soon. That is a signal the additive package is working. By scrubbing the engine internals and carring the dirt to the filter.
With this said, I hope it clears up some myths. If you guys and gals would like anymore info, just ask. I usually run my motors about 180,000 miles, except for the only **** motor nissan built the dohc Gen 3. That suck the front washer off the adjuster and grinds up the tining chain. No oil can help that.
Have a nice holiday
Rich
Hello,

Read your post the other day. Very informative. I have a 2004 Maxima w/11,000 miles. Just switched to synthetic oil Mobil-1 Truck SUV 10W-40. Read somewhere, can’t remember where, to stay away from oils that are marked “energy efficient” or “energy conserving”. There are some additives there that are supposed to be bad for the engine.

Just wanted to know if you’re familiar with Shell Rotella Synthetic oil 5W-40 and what would your recommendation be as far as using it in the Maxima? Rotella is rated “C” for commercial use (gas and diesel engines) so it is used a lot by truck drivers. Another one is Mobil Delvac-1, 5W-40.

You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field so please respond with your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by kinzer1
Hello,

Read your post the other day. Very informative. I have a 2004 Maxima w/11,000 miles. Just switched to synthetic oil Mobil-1 Truck SUV 10W-40. Read somewhere, can’t remember where, to stay away from oils that are marked “energy efficient” or “energy conserving”. There are some additives there that are supposed to be bad for the engine.

Just wanted to know if you’re familiar with Shell Rotella Synthetic oil 5W-40 and what would your recommendation be as far as using it in the Maxima? Rotella is rated “C” for commercial use (gas and diesel engines) so it is used a lot by truck drivers. Another one is Mobil Delvac-1, 5W-40.

You seem to be very knowledgeable in this field so please respond with your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Mike
Im sorry, but I dont believe in what he says. He cites "organizations" and so forth but NO documentation to back up the claims. Royal Purple? Are you KIDDING me? Its a one time race use type oil, not a daily driver oil and its insane to recommend it that way.

I would spend more time reading Mike and finding information backed up by tests and analysis versus just "analysis" that is never shown. Oil and oil filters is a highly debated topic with many opinions.

I have a 91 Toyota MR2 and moved from the "unknown" oil type/brand of the previous two owners and moved to synthetic. The engine does not consume oil. I have all the receipts of the oil changes and they were not syn changes, although no brand was specified. But I am guessing that at 13 bucks a change, it was not a syn oil.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had my '03 I35 for a couple weeks now. It has 59K miles on it (highway use) and I just got through changing the oil/filter and doing a trans drain/fill with Mobil 1 fluids. Looks like the previous owner took the car to the dealer for service, the oil filter was an OEM Nissan filter. I took a peek through the oil fill hole to see how clean the top of the ctlinder head was. Looks very clean in there, no sludge or even a slight film at all. Definitly looks like the car had regular maintanence. Anyway, she's running on Mobil 1 full synthetic now and Mobil 1 synthetic ATF as well. That's all I ever used in my Buick GN and I never had any problems.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM

For the ppl that recommend the auto rx, do you just add it to your current oil almost when it is time to change it anyways? then do mobil 1 syn? im in tx, always used 10w30 in my other car. TIA
Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM

You need a minimum 1500 miles to go on the oil before the OC plus a new filter. A-Rx needs 1500-2K miles to do its thing. The rinse phase HAS to be dino, so M1 is a no no. After that you can use whatever you want.

Check out their website.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Ive been using 10W30 in my car and I live in Northeast Arkansas. Is this good or should I switch to 5W30? Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Chassis Freak

I noticed Mobil 1 now sells a pricier version of their SuperSyn synthetic oil. The "regular" is $23 per jug at Wal-Mart, and the "Endurance" is almost $29. Any reason to buy the more expensive one?

I also have a question about oil filters. I am using a 350Z size filter (about 2.5 inches long instead of the normal 3.5 inch Maxima filter) due to traction bars that I have installed, which cause clearance issues with the regular filter. Does anyone have a recommended filter to use in this application? I will probably just go with Nissan OEM unless someone knows of a Purolator or other good filter that is the right size.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:39 PM

I just bought a Purolator Pure One filter and I dont see it discussed much here...

Did I make a bad choice? Also, I bought Castrol GTX 5w-30... is GTX a conventional or blended oil? Did I make a good choice on the oil? Last time I used 10w-30 from Shell Brand conventional oil and I dont know if that was a good choice.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Purolators are great because they are good filters for REALLY cheap. They're not the best, but they are arguably the best bang-for-the-buck.

GTX is dino oil (a.k.a. not synthetic). But it's definitely one of the best dino oils you can get.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:18 PM

I second that GTX is one of the best conventional oils you can get.

I like using Mobil 1 in my Maxima and Castrol synthetic in my leaky Mustang with Pure One filters.

Oh btw, Mobil 1 Extended Life is a ripoff. All you're buying is a label that guarantees 15k mile intervals. It's more than likely that it's the same stuff.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm a newbie in car tech., needs some advice,i got an 01 se , i bought it w/ 110k ,don't have any service records, i'm goin' to change the oil myself after reading you guys' expert opinion i'm choosing between castrol gtx 10w30 high mileage or mobil 7500 , which one is better? how do i know what are the fluids i need to change or maintenance tune up to be done? thank you so much
Old 10-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

The maintenance schedule is in your owner's manual.

As for what oil to pick... Mobil Clean 7500 (which I presume is what you're talking about) is a synthetic blend, which means it has synthetic and non-synthetic parts. GTX is straight non-synthetic. I would pick the Mobil.

And never forget this important maintenance tip: Do not go to a Jiffy Lube. Ever.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

tanks for info
Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Hooooooonda.....

so, my friend just said that the 15208-65F00 filteris no longer using a cardboard endcap. The techs at his dealership are bored sometimes and cut filters open and he said lately there haven't been ony filters with cardboard endcaps. He's been wrong in the past but...
Old 11-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ProV1
anyone using maxlife 5w-30??
i'm kind a leary , pep boys was offering 6 qts. of valvoline maxlife for free after rebate couple of months ago.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM

can pureone filters last a 10k interval w/ amsoil tso?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

according to amsoil extended drain requirements they only support using their filters to meet the extended drain intervals.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone found any independent documentation/testing to support the use of slick 50 or duralube treatments for the engine. supposedly you could treat your engine every 50k and this would put the protection back that came oem when it was brand new.

Quick Reply: What oil and oil filter should I use? Can I switch to synthetic? What viscosity?