Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?

Sorry to start another oil thread.

Please only post if you have valid information to backup your claim. Posting "I change mine every 3000 miles because the oil company told me to" does not qualify.

Yes, I have done my research and read numerous posts about this from leading oil analysing members of the org.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:56 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?

Originally posted by Lumbee1

Please only post if you have valid information to backup your claim. Posting "I change mine every 3000 miles because the oil company told me to" does not qualify.

Yes, I have done my research and read numerous posts about this from leading oil analysing members of the org.
are you also talking about changing the filter at 5k mile interval? what kind of air filter do you run? what kind of driving do you do?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM

no. changing oil every 10k miles
though he uses mobil 1 syn.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Well, you are going to have to do oil analysis for yourself to be sure. Some can and do, while others cant and dont.

Really and truthfully, thats the only way I can "see" it happening. Obviously you are going to want to change your filter more often than 10K, but since you didnt really add what kind of routine you were going to do other than "Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?", itll be hard to state what will be good. Yes, its very possible, but there are MANY variables that will come into play. Not just a cut and dry yes/no question.

Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:41 PM

Re: Re: Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?

Originally posted by Colonel

Well, you are going to have to do oil analysis for yourself to be sure. Some can and do, while others cant and dont.

Really and truthfully, thats the only way I can "see" it happening. Obviously you are going to want to change your filter more often than 10K, but since you didnt really add what kind of routine you were going to do other than "Is changing Mobil1 synthetic every 10K miles bad?", itll be hard to state what will be good. Yes, its very possible, but there are MANY variables that will come into play. Not just a cut and dry yes/no question.

Good Luck!
This is probably the best answer to any question I've read here on the org.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 PM

there were lots of variables in the awnser too !
I like that
awnser the question without awnsering the question
and done with such style that they must hbe educated !

Bravo/Well done
Old 07-30-2003, 02:34 PM

Keep time (just as important, if not more important) in mind as well. I am changing Amsoil at 8-9 month intervals since the viscosity thickens greatly after that based on a 1 year regular Amsoil run with 6 month filter changes. See the Bill's spreadsheet for details.

So 6 months and 10,000 miles probaly, but not more than 9 months.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:35 PM
trey

Hey lumbee, not to be a d*ick or anything but if you did your research on this like you said, you would of known that the final answer to your question was to get a oil analysis.

Old 07-30-2003, 06:48 PM

I just got the car but after owning a rotary, I'm big on oil changes, with the RX-7 I changed the oil every month which was less then 500 miles, I rather pay now then later, with the Max I think I'll change it every 2 months since I also drive another car.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:25 AM

I've never heard of anyone changing the filter, but not the oil, and not sure why people are saying "of course you're going change the filter in between... etc etc..."

VW has recommended change intervals oil and filter of 10K on their cars (regular oil) Dealerships tell you you need to do it every 5K

Suberu recomends every 7500 regualar oil.

Cadillac has a sensor which can run oil and filter to 10K depending on conditions

From what I've heard europeans are much more liberal on oil changes, and americans have it programmed that you need every 3k.

I have no research, only research I've done was on Motorcycle oil.

I do regular oil every 3-4K I do synthetic about every 6K. Both with filter
Old 07-31-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by DeepDish
I rather pay now then later, with the Max I think I'll change it every 2 months since I also drive another car.
It's your $$$, but you are wasting $$$ by changing oil and filter at less than 3,000 miles/3-4 months even with dino oil unless you are drag racing or go to the road course.

If you are driving another car, three oil changes a year is plenty.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by ChrisK327
I've never heard of anyone changing the filter, but not the oil, and not sure why people are saying "of course you're going change the filter in between... etc etc..."

VW has recommended change intervals oil and filter of 10K on their cars (regular oil) Dealerships tell you you need to do it every 5K

Suberu recomends every 7500 regualar oil.

Cadillac has a sensor which can run oil and filter to 10K depending on conditions

From what I've heard europeans are much more liberal on oil changes, and americans have it programmed that you need every 3k.

I have no research, only research I've done was on Motorcycle oil.

I do regular oil every 3-4K I do synthetic about every 6K. Both with filter
While it' great that VW and Subaru recommend those intervals and aren't tied into the 3k mile myth, still keep in mind what their ulitmate goal is (to sell new cars). Those intervals stretch the limits of a conventional oil under most, if not all, driving conditions. Will the engine survive this? Yes, long enough that most ownwers will be happy and buy another car from the manufacturer. Is this ideal? NO.

The way most people drive, most synthetics would have a hard time with these drain intervals. Like Colonel alluded to, there are some under certain driving conditions that can handle these intervals. Others simply can't.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:43 PM

Some what similar question here:

I use Mobil 1 Syn but I only changed the oil at abt 9-12 months' interval , is that ok ?

I don't drive much & my mileage is abt 5k - 6k miles per yr.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:37 PM
trey

Originally posted by merlion
Some what similar question here:

I use Mobil 1 Syn but I only changed the oil at abt 9-12 months' interval , is that ok ?

I don't drive much & my mileage is abt 5k - 6k miles per yr.

I don't have anything to back this up but if it was me and from what i hear, i wouldn't go anymore then 6 months. Also your climate has a lot to do with it also. short trips, dusty location, cold winters, = more oil changes.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:32 AM

every 10k

that is the worst thing I've ever heard. I mean I feel sorry for the guy who does that, and especially the guy who buys that vehicle. Oil is oil although synthetic is much better at lubricating and keepin g the motor from building up carbon, and it doesn't break down as much, you should always change your oil every 3000 miles along with the filter, Imean it only costs about 30 bucks for synthetic oil and a good filter why take a chance???
Old 08-07-2003, 10:45 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: every 10k

Originally posted by crewchief264
...Oil is oil although synthetic is much better at lubricating and keepin g the motor from building up carbon, and it doesn't break down as much, you should always change your oil every 3000 miles along with the filter...
Trust me, I am not trying to flame or pick a fight...but this statement seems fairly uneducated. We have FACTS relative to Maximas specific AND other cars. A little reading might be in order.

...Imean it only costs about 30 bucks for synthetic oil and a good filter why take a chance???
Well, as this may be true...oil AND filter have been PROVEN to last MUCH longer than 3K miles. Please reference this page:

Real world analyisis

Again, not flaming...but saying "you should always change your oil every 3000 miles along with the filter" is "in the box thinking" borderline brainwashing. "You" can change the oil/filter in whatever intervals "you" wish. But telling someone that 3K is when it should be done is narrow minded. Some do..some dont. Just make sure the facts are represented. Be advised to have facts (not my mechanic/brother/nephew/uncle/dictator told me that....).

Additional oil related information to read up on:

Additional Info
Old 08-07-2003, 03:28 PM

Re: every 10k

that is the worst thing I've ever heard. I mean I feel sorry for the guy who does that, and especially the guy who buys that vehicle. Oil is oil although synthetic is much better at lubricating and keepin g the motor from building up carbon, and it doesn't break down as much, you should always change your oil every 3000 miles along with the filter, Imean it only costs about 30 bucks for synthetic oil and a good filter why take a chance???
Like Colonel mentioned, there is a lot of data supporting that most people can run well beyond 3k miles with a high quality and not even push the envelope. It's worth doing some research rather than making blanket statements like you did. It might only be $30 to you, but what about waste oil and the time needed to crawl beneath the car?

Welcome to modern technology. The 3k drain or else is extremely outdated
Old 08-08-2003, 07:45 AM

racing?????

I'm not making blanket statements, I'm saying that " change oil/filter every 3.75 x 1000mi or 6 x 1000km or 3 months." Now thats straight from the Nissan maintance schedule. I can guarantee that if the dealer you buy your car from finds out you change oil every 10k they'll cancel yout warranty. Oil breaks down and synthetic oil loses its protecting properties also just as conventional oil does. Only the sythetic has better protection properties, from the get go. 10000 thousand miles, really, c'mon it takes all of 15 minutes to change the oil and the filter, and if you drive your car hard I can't see leaving old oil in there. I suppose your also trying to get at the point that since the super oils of today are so great that some of the race teams out there say what the heck we just finished our 30,000 dollar motor and run our first race of say the brickyard 500, lets save some cash and reuse the oil since it takes so long change and hey what heck its the 21st century. Granted I just a specialized for instance, but I was making a point that changing your oil anything more than the recommended manufactures mileage is obsurd and the rule of thumb for as long as I have been working on drag cars, four wheelers, 4x4 trucks and family vehicles, whenever you race (extended-not the occasional street racing) a vehicle you should check your fluids and change your fluids--mainly the motor oil and transmission fluid and possibly the rear end. Off- Road vehicles are even more susceptable to fluid change and bearing repack--especially bearing repack--from experience( had a bearing Weld itself to the spindle after coming home from bogging). I personally like to change my M/T fluid after every 2 autocrosses and after every miss shift, rebuilding a tranny blows and I feel its worth safe guarding yourself just like changing your oil every 3000 mile.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: racing?????

I'm not making blanket statements, I'm saying that " change oil/filter every 3.75 x 1000mi or 6 x 1000km or 3 months." Now thats straight from the Nissan maintance schedule. I can guarantee that if the dealer you buy your car from finds out you change oil every 10k they'll cancel yout warranty. Oil breaks down and synthetic oil loses its protecting properties also just as conventional oil does. Only the sythetic has better protection properties, from the get go. 10000 thousand miles, really, c'mon it takes all of 15 minutes to change the oil and the filter, and if you drive your car hard I can't see leaving old oil in there. I suppose your also trying to get at the point that since the super oils of today are so great that some of the race teams out there say what the heck we just finished our 30,000 dollar motor and run our first race of say the brickyard 500, lets save some cash and reuse the oil since it takes so long change and hey what heck its the 21st century. Granted I just a specialized for instance, but I was making a point that changing your oil anything more than the recommended manufactures mileage is obsurd and the rule of thumb for as long as I have been working on drag cars, four wheelers, 4x4 trucks and family vehicles, whenever you race (extended-not the occasional street racing) a vehicle you should check your fluids and change your fluids--mainly the motor oil and transmission fluid and possibly the rear end. Off- Road vehicles are even more susceptable to fluid change and bearing repack--especially bearing repack--from experience( had a bearing Weld itself to the spindle after coming home from bogging). I personally like to change my M/T fluid after every 2 autocrosses and after every miss shift, rebuilding a tranny blows and I feel its worth safe guarding yourself just like changing your oil every 3000 mile.
Well, in short without starting a lengthy argument...your wrong. Yes, you might want to "err" on the side of safety and do it every 3k...but its NOT necessary unless you are driving under EXTREME situations. Yes, you "might" get into a bone of contention on an engine failure if you cannot prove 3K oil changes. But most who are testing here are beyond that. That would have shown up if you read the spreadsheet.

Your example of brickyard racing is goofy. I dont know HOW MANY TIMES I have to repeat this.."RACING MOTORS ARE DIFFERENT, USED DIFFERENTLY, AND HANDLED DIFFERENTLY". I dont know of any race team that does NOT tear down their engine after a race.

Yes, I agree, all fluids should be checked and monitored. And as I said before, there are FACTS that prove that oil/filters can go WAY beyond (Safely I might add as well) 3K miles. As for all the other "fluids" you mentioned....The point of the thread was engine oil.

Again, "you" can change your oil whenever you want...but you are not going to convince anybody that it "has" to be done every 3K. Subscribing to a 3K "ALWAYS" oil change is plain not thinking. Making informed, educated decisions based on fact is good. If those values say 3K...then ok...but as far as we have seen in REAL WORLD analysis....oil does not "always" need to be changed at 3K.

[treehugger]Remember, you have to recycle that oil somewhere...if you can get more than 3K effectively out of an oil change...[/treehugger]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:52 PM

if oil and filters were designed to go 3000 miles then what would happen?
there would be lawsuits if they only lasted 2900 miles and started damaging peoples cars. and they everyone would be recomending you change it every 1000 -1500 miles

I believe that as an engine gets older its needs more frequent oil changes
6-7k newer, to 3-4k when its older
Old 08-08-2003, 06:51 PM

Oil breaks down and synthetic oil loses its protecting properties also just as conventional oil does. Only the sythetic has better protection properties, from the get go.
What most people don't seem to realize is that:

1. Synthetic oil is much more stable than conventional oil and doesn't turn to sludge like conventional does.

2. The high quality synthetics contain additive packages that allow them to combat contaminants longer. On a tangent, depending on conditions, it's not necessarily the basestock that makes an oil good. It has a lot more to do with the additive packages, which is why something like Castrol GTX holds up better than Syntec. Of course, if you can get a top notch basestock with high quality additives you can enjoy the best of both worlds.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Listen to what your saying. You mean to tell me that just because someone tells you to do something, you're supposed to do it?

There is real world data supporting that 3000 mile oil changes are a myth especially when most oils today are better than they were 20 or 30 years ago.

When I used dino oil, I changed my oil every 5000 miles. Now that I'm using Mobil 1, I'm going every 7000 to 8000. I'm the least bit worried about blowing my motor.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:55 PM

Call me stupid but 10k miles is WAAAAYYYY to long between changes. Synthetic or not.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Kevlo for President

for deezo, i change mobil 1 7-9k too. with a nissan filter
10k is hte most i would go with a good filter
Old 08-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by bukii
Call me stupid but 10k miles is WAAAAYYYY to long between changes. Synthetic or not.
Real world oil analyses contradict your statement. I have obtained the first Castrol GTX oil analysis that went 9,000 miles and everything from a wear metal standpoint looked good.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:31 AM

I personally like to change my M/T fluid after every 2 autocrosses and after every miss shift
missing a shift
Old 08-26-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

If we are supposed to change our oil at 3k, why does Mercedes and BMW use extended change oil intervals? ie.. 7-10k
Old 08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
trey

Originally posted by Jeff92se
If we are supposed to change our oil at 3k, why does Mercedes and BMW use extended change oil intervals? ie.. 7-10k

Mercedes and BMW's change intervals are probably more because their engines hold more oil then are maxes.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:08 AM

Maxvq changes his oil every 12,000 km. He uses Motomaster 100% Syn 5w30.He has used this since he bought the car with 50 tho on the clock.The car now has 280,000 km.This oil is sold at Canadian Tire,its Mobil 1..Check out Motorvate.ca
Old 09-12-2003, 03:24 AM

Another factor to consider is warranty. During the warranty on the powertrain (5yrs/60k miles), I would not recommend exceeding the normal service schedule or 7500 miles between changes whether it be Dino or Synthetic. Nissan isn't overly generous or giving in this area.
After that, my personal comfort level is 3k-5k with Dino and 5K-8K with off the shelf synthetics. All this is dependent on driving style (how hard you drive the car, short trips vs hwy use, etc), climate/temperatures, etc. I'm sure one could push these further but considering the relative low cost of oil and oil filters (especially if you change your own), I prefer to be conservative.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by nick778
Another factor to consider is warranty. During the warranty on the powertrain (5yrs/60k miles), I would not recommend exceeding the normal service schedule or 7500 miles between changes whether it be Dino or Synthetic. Nissan isn't overly generous or giving in this area.
After that, my personal comfort level is 3k-5k with Dino and 5K-8K with off the shelf synthetics. All this is dependent on driving style (how hard you drive the car, short trips vs hwy use, etc), climate/temperatures, etc. I'm sure one could push these further but considering the relative low cost of oil and oil filters (especially if you change your own), I prefer to be conserva tive.
I agree with you on this one. I change my oil and filter every 8000 km with Syn. Im not to cool with 12000 k myself, but it hasnt done any harm to my buddys car so far. We live in a suburb of Toronto so we get everything from 95f degrees to minus 13f. I know that alot of factors come in to play,but I think some people go a little over board changing oil ( SYN ) every 2-3 thousand miles. Seems like a waste to me.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:58 AM

i change my synthetic every 3-4k .
Old 09-23-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
i change my synthetic every 3-4k .
Whatever works for you. If that gives you piece of mind,who am I to say...Its your cash.