Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil analysis on 2k SE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oil analysis on 2k SE!

sweet, got my Blackstone Laboratories report in the mail today from the 5k mile run of Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn "Newer Vehicle Formula" with STP S6941 oil filter (oversized).

ERIC: Despite your horribly inaccurate dipstick, we can tell you've been taking good care of your Nissan! The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 5400 miles on the oil. Your oil was in use 5000 miles, and wear levels were much lower than averages, showing a very nicely wearing engine. Air and oil filtration (see silicon and insolubles) both look good. As well as this engine is wearing, and as well as you're treating it, we think you could easily go to 6000 or 6500 miles for the next sample. Nice Nissan!

this was after I put 2.5qts oil in between changes (dunno why, guess a demon possessed me... can't tell via the dipstick though) which resulted in about 1-1.5qts overfill I believe. There were 35,166 miles on it when I took the sample, and I think I used a Nissan OEM air filter for most of that run. Next oil analysis I do will include mostly K&N panel filter use, and only 1 quart added at 3K after the oil change (unless I get off my lazy ***, take it to the dealer and see if they can do anything about the 100% useless dipstick...)

Now I can take over the world with my uber-strong engine!@$##@!!#@!@#$
Old 09-15-2003, 07:54 PM

ah whoops, posted this in 5th gen, should have known better (thanks for moving it )
Old 09-16-2003, 03:11 AM

Not to knock a good UOA, but adding 2.5 qts between oil changes could have skewed the results. I mean, over 50% of your oil was new(er), diluting the contaminant containing oil. I'd run the same oil, filter, and interval, and test again to get a more accurate report. Keep in mind that I'm not knocking your report, just trying to be helpful by looking at all possible variables.
A few tips for checking your oil accurately:
1. Check the oil after the engine has been at operating temp, but wait about 10 minutes after shutting the engine down. This allows the oil to get back to the pan for an accurate reading (so it doesn't show low, and you mistakenly add more).
2. Check the oil with the car parked on a LEVEL surface. I was surprised how much variance this shows on the dipstick.
3. To help read the dipstick, some people drill a very small hole in their dipstick at the FULL line (I'd do just below). This allows easier reading than trying to figure the cross-hatched area, and where the oil level is exactly at. Basically, the oil is either at the hole, or it's not. I'm about to do that to mine. If doing this, use a very small bit. You could also put a small notch at the correct levels, just like older cars came with. It would do the same thing.

On my '97 with 80,000 miles, I haven't needed to add any oil up to a 5000 mile change. My oil level doesn't change enough to justify any addition. From my understanding of the VQ's, it is not really an oil consuming engine, unless there are leaks (I attribute this to close tolerances). I'd keep an eye good eye on your level, and if it is still in the cross-hatch, I wouldn't add any. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 AM

True, I'll have to see how it does the next oil change. I plan to add 1 quart after 3000 miles since I cannot get an accurate dipstick reading (it always shows grossly over-filled, doesn't matter if it's cold, hot, sat around for 2 hours with the dipstick removed, nuttin'... always shows above the 2nd twist in the dipstick)