Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

noob oil change advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
So what you're saying is that since they developed leaks after 100,000 miles you do not recommend switching to synthetic oil when your engine has high mileage?
And what you're saying is you believe that if they would have not switched they wouldn't have developed those leaks right?

what's so hard to understand???

your reply before made it sound like "since my friend put in synthetic and he got leaks from his engine, i will never put synthetic in if my car has high mileage."
how do you know that the people who resulted in problems after putting in synthetic wouldn't have the same problem with regular oil????
if you're burning oil at 60K on a maxima there's definitely something wrong with that engine. . . these things usually run forever.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by speedemn
Dude, I never said "do not go with synthetic because it is bad for your engine".

Originally Posted by speedemn
However if you get a car that has been on regular for 100,000 miles for example, and try to go synthetic at that point, that is bad too. It could cause leaky seals and then oil to burn.

............ ?????
Old 10-15-2003, 08:48 AM

Engines leak, so do people's noses after getting hit. So are you saying that switching to synth after 100,000 miles is like not shutting your mouth when you are wrong.......your gonna have leaks??

No. Im a lover, not a fighter.

However, whenever you do make a drastic change from regular to synth on extreme high mileage cars, it would not hurt to replace any engine seals or gaskets. This is good advice for high mileage cars anyway.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
Engines leak, so do people's noses after getting hit. So are you saying that switching to synth after 100,000 miles is like not shutting your mouth when you are wrong.......your gonna have leaks??

No. Im a lover, not a fighter.

However, whenever you do make a drastic change from regular to synth on extreme high mileage cars, it would not hurt to replace any engine seals or gaskets. This is good advice for high mileage cars anyway.

True. But....changing to synthetic at high mileage will not hurt your engine.....enough said.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

............ ?????
Sorry I will be a bit more basic in my explanations sometimes so you do not have to assume the obvious. I guess I wasn't clear about that in my statement anyway.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:20 AM

True. But....changing to synthetic at high mileage will not hurt your engine.....enough said.
Would you bet your life on that?

My point is, that you can own a car from day 1 but can you really and truly predict that it will not leak after 100,000?

Otherwise why do people (even on this forum) who have had cars in perfect condition, who switch to synthetic start burning oil?

So I just wanted to make him aware of the possibility.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Pizda Boy

i give up...
but i switched to synthetic at 75K and i'm at 115K right now. . . and my car runs like it's new. (I drive my car real hard too). . . and i know many many people that switched to synthetic at high mileage and if it didn't help them it sure as he|| didn't do anything to their engines. . .
Mecca from the .org just switched to synthetic he's running 136K + change on his odometer. I know his car but I guarantee that after the 3rd oil change he will hear the difference in his engine running.

and I understand that you're saying this to help out but it just seemed like you claimed that switching to synthetic at high mileage is a no-no.

it's all good though. . .

Hey did you change the oil yet?
good luck
Old 10-15-2003, 10:40 AM

Man. who would have thought that this would have started such a big debate..... Lets start a nice little poll and see what everyone thinks.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
Man. who would have thought that this would have started such a big debate..... Lets start a nice little poll and see what everyone thinks.
Certainly not me... oops!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:47 AM

alright, the updated shopping list:
Castrol GTX 5w/30 (4.25q) (maybe I'll try the synth next time)
15208-9E000 Oil filter
And a bunch of non-technical crap:
-Oil filter wrench
-Oil pan
-Light to see under the car
-Gloves, why the heck not, with my luck I'll grab the radiator first

Any other thoughts / last minute advice for a noob's first foray into gettin dirty? the only things still on my mind are making sure i dont strip the oil tank's threading by overtightening the drain plug, and that i dont overtighten the oil filter since i have no clue how its supposed to feel other than what i've read which can only help so much. It just sounds weird that I shouldnt tighten the oil filter very much, definetly not more than by hand, and yet this thing has no chance of vibrating off when I'm doing 90. Who knows.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Pizda Boy

i think you're good to go. . .
make sure you drain the engine oil not the transmission oil. . . it's the drain plug very close to the passenger front wheel . . .
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 AM

i think you're good to go. . .
make sure you drain the engine oil not the transmission oil. . . it's the drain plug very close to the passenger front wheel . . .
lol crap... thats so not inspiring. now i have this image of me starting the car, my 8.5 quarts of oil shooting everywhere as the oil-less transmission ejects itself from the car and across my lawn.

um, tranny fluid's red, right?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM

i give up...

and I understand that you're saying this to help out but it just seemed like you claimed that switching to synthetic at high mileage is a no-no.

it's all good though. . .

Hey did you change the oil yet?
good luck
Point taken... there have been cases to prove both sides of the coin.

It's all good.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nethyr
Any other thoughts / last minute advice for a noob's first foray into gettin dirty?
I don't know if this was posted eariler, but this should be a very good guide for your first time:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/511

Do it once and it will a breeze next time on.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 AM

yep, i've been scanning that one over the last week or so. never hurts to get good information too often though.

alright, tonight is shopping night. tomorrow night, or this weekend is oil change time.

(yes, i know this is pathetic getting all hyped up for something no more difficult than changing the batteries on your tv remote to someone experienced, but hey, for a total noob like me? this is kinda exciting! perhaps I'll have a friend take a pic while I'm under the car so i can pretend to be all mechanically inclined or some crap)

<--
Old 10-15-2003, 06:46 PM

yep, i've been scanning that one over the last week or so. never hurts to get good information too often though.

alright, tonight is shopping night. tomorrow night, or this weekend is oil change time.

(yes, i know this is pathetic getting all hyped up for something no more difficult than changing the batteries on your tv remote to someone experienced, but hey, for a total noob like me? this is kinda exciting! perhaps I'll have a friend take a pic while I'm under the car so i can pretend to be all mechanically inclined or some crap)

<--
heh it's all good... my first time was as if I was replacing a tranny! same when I took my airbox out the first time or did suspension the first time... etc.

Enjoy it and if you do take pics make sure you don't get the digital camera all greasy!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 AM

Hey! Do not change the oil untill the car has atleast been sitting with no engine running for 5 minutes. Give that oil, oil pan, & oil filter a chance to cool a bit. Then, after you put in the 4 5/8 quarts, you can start the engine up and add any oil additives you may like. I always like to listen to the difference in RPM's produced when the engine bay oil cap is off, and how it is higher when it is on. Aren't vacuums great. Gets that oil to all the right places.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:20 AM

good info, i was planning on running it up to standard running temp, then letting it sit for 10 minutes or so. i figure thats hot enough the get the oil flowing, but cool enough that i wont burn my damn hand off. i also picked up an oil filter wrench ($3 ghetto fabulous model) and some $3 thickish gloves, just enough to not get burned.

couple questions though.
1) I've recently learned that trying to find a nissan brand oil filter (9e000) is a real *****. Anyone know a good site to order them from or any place on long island you can get them from other than a nissan shop (whose hours suck when you work 7am-6pm 5 days a week).
2) The tilt of the car. When you're changing the oil, if it had to have a lean to it, which way is it best to lean? I know its best to do it on flat ground, but my garage is full of crap. My driveway is tilted towards the street, and the street in front of my house is tilted towards the curb. I figure if I -have- to have a tilt, towards the front or towards the left would be best. Any confirmations / better ideas there? I might try and clean out my garage at some point, but right now my garage is so trashed i think i have a better chance of converting my auto to a manual myself.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:05 AM

1) I've recently learned that trying to find a nissan brand oil filter (9e000) is a real *****. Anyone know a good site to order them from or any place on long island you can get them from other than a nissan shop (whose hours suck when you work 7am-6pm 5 days a week).

2) The tilt of the car. When you're changing the oil, if it had to have a lean to it, which way is it best to lean? I know its best to do it on flat ground, but my garage is full of crap. My driveway is tilted towards the street, and the street in front of my house is tilted towards the curb. I figure if I -have- to have a tilt, towards the front or towards the left would be best. Any confirmations / better ideas there? I might try and clean out my garage at some point, but right now my garage is so trashed i think i have a better chance of converting my auto to a manual myself.

Q and A time BABY!!!

1) Oil Filter Online:

Nissan Parts Wholesale: http://www.nissanpartswholesale.com/

Oil Filter Link: http://catalog.nissanpartswholesale....ageField2.y=13

2) Car Tilt:

Dont even work on it on a tilt. Go to a parking lot, like the local high school, walmart, or something. Any you dont really have to jack it up. I you reall wanted to, jack up the front driver's side so that all the oil goes to the oil pan and oil filter side. I personally dont jack my car up.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 AM

link looks interesting, they dont seem to carry the 9e000 though.
and i'll go out of my way to make sure i work on flat ground. i'm sure the neighborhood wouldnt mind if i park in the dead center of the street for a little while
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 AM

link looks interesting, they dont seem to carry the 9e000 though.
and i'll go out of my way to make sure i work on flat ground. i'm sure the neighborhood wouldnt mind if i park in the dead center of the street for a little while
You should do it at the middle of a drag strip... that's always flat!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:35 AM

You should do it at the middle of a drag strip... that's always flat!
sounds like a plan! oil pans optional, right?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:49 AM

Just wanted to let people know that everything went great. Thanks to all for all the help and advice. The end result was castrol gtx 5w30 and a 9e000 filter I had to go to the local nissan shop to find.

On a related note, how do people without access to a hyrdaulic lift do their oil changes? My gf's dad happened to have a pair of ramps that I had to use since I could barely squeeze the oil pan underneath the car when it was on flat ground, nevermind fit a wrench in there. I didnt want the car to be tilted at all, but that seemed less critical than being able to reach the drain plug.

Thanks again to all!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:56 AM

I change the oil without lifting the car at all. Just remove the protective panel in the passenger side wheel well and have the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and you're good to go.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
I change the oil without lifting the car at all. Just remove the protective panel in the passenger side wheel well and have the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and you're good to go.
aaah, nice idea. i considered that but with the tired up on ramps, the wheels were stuck staying pretty straight. i considered removing that piece but it didnt seem worth it. I'll give that a try next time. Tnx!
Old 10-20-2003, 12:33 PM

aaah, nice idea. i considered that but with the tired up on ramps, the wheels were stuck staying pretty straight. i considered removing that piece but it didnt seem worth it. I'll give that a try next time. Tnx!
I did my first oil change after having eibach's installed and even with the panel removed I didn't have enough room to slide the catch container with the funnel in place. Had to aim real carefully before unscrewing the drain plug. Still spilled about 0.5 litre.

Next time I'll just go to one of those quicky spots.