Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

mobil 1 manual tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 11:53 AM

mobil 1 manual tranny fluid

I've been using this stuff for about 25k miles already and everything seems to be good, but reading in the sticky, people say that you shouldn't use a gl-5 oil. I was going to change my fluid again, but noticed that the mobil 1 is rated for gl-5. Is it really that bad to have this stuff in my tranny? Auto Zone said that this is what is showing up as being compatible with my car (2k se). I'm thinking of switching to redline mt-90, but I've also heard some negative things about it, like it is not good for our tranny and it may cause leaks. Anyone have any bad experiences using Redine? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2kmist
I've been using this stuff for about 25k miles already and everything seems to be good, but reading in the sticky, people say that you shouldn't use a gl-5 oil. I was going to change my fluid again, but noticed that the mobil 1 is rated for gl-5. Is it really that bad to have this stuff in my tranny? Auto Zone said that this is what is showing up as being compatible with my car (2k se). I'm thinking of switching to redline mt-90, but I've also heard some negative things about it, like it is not good for our tranny and it may cause leaks. Anyone have any bad experiences using Redine? Thanks for the help.

Using a straight GL5 is definitely bad for the transmission. There has been a lot of debate about using Mobil 1. It's labled as a GL5 and they specifically recommend it not be used in GL4 transmissions, but the speculation has been made that it is safe for GL4 transmissions, but it has never been tested against that spec. Hence the reason the company says don't use it. There's even some debate if it's even possible to test a gear lube against GL4 anymore anyway.

Having said all that, if you liked the results Mobil 1 gave you, you will love the Redline or Amsoil offerings. The reason being both Amsoil and Redline flow much better at cold temperatures than the Mobil 1 does.