Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

'98 ATF change question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 04:55 PM
PTP

'98 ATF change question

Anyone have a write up on how to change ATF in a 98 maxima? The link in the STICK is NOT working and I can't search.

Also, I have 66K on the max, should I just drain and fill or do I need to drop the pan. I dont know when, if ever, it was done last.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by PTP
Anyone have a write up on how to change ATF in a 98 maxima? The link in the STICK is NOT working and I can't search.

Also, I have 66K on the max, should I just drain and fill or do I need to drop the pan. I dont know when, if ever, it was done last.
Thanks
You may want to recheck the link in the stickie. It worked tonight when I tried it.

Drain and refill is okay. Do it a couple of times, preferrably 3 or 4, to get the majority of old fluid out. It's better than doing nothing.

The better way is to pull the pan and clean it, the magnets on the pan bottom, and filter sreeen while you also change the fluid. Use a new pan gasket and some thread sealant (Permatex HT Thread Sealant is okay) on the pan bolts when you reinstall the pan. Basically the process is to drain the pan 1st. Measure how much old fluid you drain (@ 4-5 qts). I just poured it into an old milk jug. Then remove the pan, clean it with solvent cleaner. Remove the filter screen bolted to the bottom of the tranny. Watch the filter bolts since they are many different sizes. Clean and reinstall the filter. Reinstall the pan with a new gasket. Replace the amount of fluid drained with new (I poured new fluid into a clean milk jug to match the same amount in the "old" fluid jug).

Now you disconnect the return coolant line from the radiator to the tranny. You can see a photo of this line if you go to the Maxima.org home page & click on Shoptalk/Mods/Transmission Cooler Install. Point the disconnected return line into another container. Have a partner start the car and run it until about 2-3 quarts of old fluid is pumped out. At this point you're basically cleaning out the fluid retained in the converter rather than the pan. Refill with same amount of new fluid. Repeat the process. You should start to see new fluid start to come out about now as most of the old fluid has been expelled. Refill again with new fluid to match the same amount of old fluid pumped out the 2nd time. All in all, you'll use 10-12 quarts total, maybe 14 if the old stuff is really dirty.

Reconnect everything. Check for leaks. Take a test drive to the local store and secure a Coors 6 pack. Drive home. Split the Coors with your buddy for a job well done. Heck for what you save versus dealer cost, buy a couple of cases!