Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

trans slippin after flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:09 AM

trans slippin after flush

Please someone I need some major help...I went to do a full tranny flush...I first drained the pan by unscrewing the large bolt in the middle...then dropped the pan by unscrewin the 21 bolts. The unscrewed the tranny screen by removing screws of 3 different sizes. Replaced the screen (since it came with the gasket, had to buy a kit to get a new gasket). Bolted that up. Cleaned the trans pan with cleaner, and removed the magnets and cleaned all the grease looking stuff off and put those back on. Put the gasket on the pan and bolted it up. Through the tranny dipstick line, put in 2 quarts of tranny fluid to fill up the pan. Then unplugged the cable from the radiator (was going by the pic in the sticky at top) and started the car. This is where I think we messed up. fluid was coming out of the radiator and none was coming out of the cable. We could not get the cable off the transmission, we pulled and pulled and it wouldnt come off...I had purchased a tranny cooler and we hooked up the cable it came with back to the radiator and let it drain out that way. I think we were using the wrong cable though...There are 2 that go into the radiator and I believe we had the wrong one...How can you tell if it is the right one? We started the car and drained some out and what my friend told me was that it would drain a little out at a time and then back off and drip some out...If I changed gears more would come out, until we got to like quart 7, then when only 1 quart would come out, whether I changed gears or not. We put in another 2 quarts, drained a quart and put the 10th quart in. Started the car, it idles fine...left it running...the because my friend spilled some fluid under the hood, he wanted to wash it, so we sprayed the engine down and left it for 3 minutes. I went to start the car to drive away and now it doesnt go into gear...If I set it for reverse, I have to push the gas for it to go into reverse from park. I then set it for drive and tried to go, it was still rolling back like in reverse until I pushed the gas, which stopped the car abruptly and it started to go forward...I then tried to get it to go into second, the rpms went up, but it wouldnt go into second like it was supposed to...it took a while...I came back home after driving less than a mile and have parked the car since...We did this yesterday. I dont think the tranny is ruined if we did something wrong, but could someone tell me if it was the wrong line we pulled? or what I can do to fix this...I was hoping to do a tranny flush and add a cooler before my trip...but if we messed something up, I dont know whats gonna happen...I have another 12 quarts of tranny fluid just incase we were draining from the wrong place...

Please someone answer this, I really need help. I am about to put in more fluid just to make sure it isnt that and then ill let it sit for 10 minutes and then see what happens...I really screwed up and hope in the end I didnt screw up my transmission...
Old 05-19-2004, 10:56 AM

When I flushed mt ATF, I tought I had replaced all the fluid. A short test drive proved gear 1 was not always engaging. Had to race the engine, to build up pressure in the tranny to get it engaged. Checked the ATF dipstick, There was between 1 and 2 litres missing. Topped up that, ran ok ever since. MAybe your problem?

It does not really matter which line you disconnect off the radiator. As long as the old fluid came out through either line, you're ok.

Your's is a typical symptom of a slipping tranny after a flush. There was a thread a few days ago on this subject.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:51 PM

well, it works...redid almost the entire thing...dropped the pan, cleaned it, new gasket, bolted back...filled pan, and car is goin ok
Old 05-20-2004, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by thread
well, it works...redid almost the entire thing...dropped the pan, cleaned it, new gasket, bolted back...filled pan, and car is goin ok

Phew! Happy for you mate!
Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 AM

Happy for you it was only lack of fluid! But, it raises a question...: Don't you guys even check the dipstick before you start up and go? It's there for a reason...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:54 AM

actually, beyond that - the gasket wasnt secure...I dont care what people say, there is no way to put the bolts in the pan with the gasket and then put the pan on the car...you must first put the pan and gasket on the car before putting more than one screw in...We tried several times to put all 21 screws in and each time they fell out. But yea, if it hadnt been for the gasket not being perfectly on there and the 5 qts of fluid, it shoulda been fine.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by thread
actually, beyond that - the gasket wasnt secure...I dont care what people say, there is no way to put the bolts in the pan with the gasket and then put the pan on the car...you must first put the pan and gasket on the car before putting more than one screw in...We tried several times to put all 21 screws in and each time they fell out. But yea, if it hadnt been for the gasket not being perfectly on there and the 5 qts of fluid, it shoulda been fine.
I had the same problem initially with the fluid coming out of radiator and not hose. Solution was reconnect that hose to radiator and disconnect that same hose at the trans. Then with the engine running you could just shoot the old stuff into the drain pan. As far as the gasket replace, i've always had good luck with using a thin layer of the blue permatex gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place on the pan, then install pan to tranny. By the way, you say your gasket came with the metal screen (filter). I got mine from Nissan for like $17 but it was just the gasket only. By the looks of it, that thing should never need replacing though. I went with complete changeover to Amsoil ATF and am very pleased.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:26 AM

i got the gasket and screen for 14.49 at NAPA. I first went with Amsoil, but since we did it wrong, had to flush 5 quarts out and use Pennzoil, I think at some point ill go all amsoil...tho my buddy owes me for the amsoil, since it didnt work. I think we may go half and half since half was his fault, half mine