Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

I think I am leaking ATF? What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:07 PM
PTP

I think I am leaking ATF? What to do?

So I was about to drop the pan and all and do a ATF change and I noticed some thing I wanted to get a second opinion on.

So when I go underneath I notice some leaking fluid on the bottom of the tranny? I assume its tranny fluid. Anyone have any idea how bad it is or is it nothing? http://ahsan.fotopic.net/p4710990.html
http://ahsan.fotopic.net/p4710991.html
http://ahsan.fotopic.net/p4710992.html
http://ahsan.fotopic.net/p4710994.html

Another question, I have read on this forum that IF there is a leak changing over to a syntheric tranny fluid will worsen the leak. So should I NOT go to synthetic in this case?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:47 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Looks like minor seepage from the photos. I assume it's not dripping and the fluid level is full.

How many miles are on the car and has the transmission been serviced before now?

I assume the vehicle is still under the 5 yr 60K powertrain warranty, so you may want to have your local dealer inspect the leak before doing anything.

Synthetics won't "worsen" the leak, but switching now will give the dealer a reason to shift the blame to you.

I recommend you have the dealer examine, diagnose and document the leak before making your decision.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:13 AM
PTP

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
Looks like minor seepage from the photos. I assume it's not dripping and the fluid level is full.

How many miles are on the car and has the transmission been serviced before now?

I assume the vehicle is still under the 5 yr 60K powertrain warranty, so you may want to have your local dealer inspect the leak before doing anything.

Synthetics won't "worsen" the leak, but switching now will give the dealer a reason to shift the blame to you.

I recommend you have the dealer examine, diagnose and document the leak before making your decision.
Actually the warranty has expired, its a '98 with aobut 66K on it. Ya its not dripping and the fluid level is full. I am thinking it could be a faulty gasket which would be a pain to replace...so I donno if I should worry too much about it?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PTP
Actually the warranty has expired, its a '98 with aobut 66K on it. Ya its not dripping and the fluid level is full. I am thinking it could be a faulty gasket which would be a pain to replace...so I donno if I should worry too much about it?
Recommend you wash off the oil/dirt residue and service the transmission with a quality petroleum-based ATF. Nissan fluid will run you more than standard commercial off-the-shelf products, but less than a quality synthetic such as AMSOIL or Mobil 1. If after you service it (drop and clean the pan, etc) it is not leaking, then I think you would be safe to switch to a synthetic...at that point you wouldn't have to drop the pan again, so it would be pretty easy.