Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

After ATF change, level slightly over-full. Dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After ATF change, level slightly over-full. Dangerous?

I'm certain that the reading is correct....the ATF level measures 1/16" above the max full line (top of the cross-hatched area). Am I risking tranny damage running the car like this? I know if it's way overfilled, it starts foaming and the tranny doesn't work correctly, but I'm wondering if I need to drain just a bit out or not?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:23 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

You indicated you are checking the fluid properly so I assume that is when the transmission is at normal operating temp, not cold and not immediately after a couple runs at your local dragstrip. It's hard to say if transmission damage will result from such a minor overfill...my vote is probably not. With that said, Nissan puts those marks on the dipstick for a reason. If it will make you sleep better at night, drain a few ounces out of it just to be sure.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
You indicated you are checking the fluid properly so I assume that is when the transmission is at normal operating temp, not cold and not immediately after a couple runs at your local dragstrip. It's hard to say if transmission damage will result from such a minor overfill...my vote is probably not. With that said, Nissan puts those marks on the dipstick for a reason. If it will make you sleep better at night, drain a few ounces out of it just to be sure.
Hi Ed. Yes, I'm checking it while the car is running and fully warmed up. The tranny is shifting great now since I changed over to the Amsoil ATF and the slight noise that it makes in the morning after startup have been less frequent. Great stuff.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sbslacker
Hi Ed. Yes, I'm checking it while the car is running and fully warmed up. The tranny is shifting great now since I changed over to the Amsoil ATF and the slight noise that it makes in the morning after startup have been less frequent. Great stuff.
I know what you mean about the oil level...back in the Fall I changed the ATF in my son's car (Cavalier Coupe) and couldn't get the same reading twice in a row...first it read a little high, then lower. I finally gave up and left it alone...it's working fine.

Glad the oil is working well for you... Ed