Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Want to know why the Seafoam and BG44 seems to make the car work better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Want to know why the Seafoam and BG44 seems to make the car work better?

Here is the msds for the Seafoam
http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/trans_tune.pdf

It contains Naphtha.

See the msds for BG44:

http://www.rtdmsds.com/pdf/000217.pdf

Also contains Naphtha and Xylene.

All components that raise the octane level

So while I still think they are good products, this might explain why the car runs better when you put these in your gas tank.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Good info~!

I'm still not convinced it's necessary if you run Chevron fuel exclusively, but I'll give it a try on my beater and see what happens on my detonation issue. Why not?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Good info~!

I'm still not convinced it's necessary if you run Chevron fuel exclusively, but I'll give it a try on my beater and see what happens on my detonation issue. Why not?
Speaking of Chevron, I've been getting a lot of crap from my friends lately about being so **** about filling my car with nothing but Chevron gas. I don't mind paying the xtra money but I really don't have any "proof" that it's helping my car out other than my peace of mind. Care to elaborate why you think Chevron is any better? I've heard people say Techron is just a gimmick, so I guess now I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

Tony
Old 06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Chevron msds site:
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusMS DSList&alphabetSelected=T&alphabetSearch=Y&languag e=EN&country=&region=NA&isLoginPage=true"

MSDS for Techron:
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsSe...true&region=NA

Looks like some octane boosters in there also. Not too much though
Old 06-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Well it's hard to remember let alone put together all the stuff I've seen/learned over the last 10yrs..

Basically, the two biggest reasons are my POS Sentra and a well known mechanical engineer/motorcycle engine builder friend of mine.

First, at about 60K miles my Sentra started detonating during summers out here, ie 110+F. It's kind of my pet peeve, so I took that car to about 4-5 dealerships hoping someone could fix the timing or whatever was fuked up. Nothing worked permanently or at all. FINALLY, I ran into a SM at a dealer in Las Vegas that asked what fuel I ran. I told him premium(92-octane at the time). He said, no what brand. I told him name brands like 76, AM/PM, Terrible Herbst, etc, ie not "Bobs' Gas". He said, stop using them and run 100% of the time Chevron only. I thought it was BS, but followed his suggestion. By the 2nd or 3rd tank it was DRAMATICALLY improved. Not 100% gone, but much better, ie less pinging unless super hot part of the day, A/C on, full load, while flogging it. Anyways, I've never gone with another brand purposely, but every now and then I had too or the wife would fill up out of desperation at X-brand station. No, sooner would we burn through half a tank and you could already tell the detonation was worse then "normal". Usually, a tank or so of Chevron and it was back to normal.

Second, a friend of mine owned a BMW motorcycle business and has raced on/off for years and he is the reason why I don't believe fuel system cleaners are necessary AT LEAST with Chevron fuels. This guy is a GOD when it comes to knowledge about ANYTHING engineering/mechanical. He's like a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and has seen automotive/motorcycle technology progress through the BMW pioneers, which later filters down to other manufacturers. Trust me...he knows his **** and nobody would disagree once meeting him. Anyways, over the years, I've got 150K+ miles on the Sentra, the detonation has gotten progressively worse ESPECIALLY when we got downgraded from 92-octane to 91-octane. So, I've discussed his opinion and followed his suggestions many times. One time he told me about an customer who was also an engineer or scientist type, I forget but it explains the followings' motive, who's BMW boxer engine was pinging. This customer was asked which fuel he used and he too said "Premium". After that he was proded and admitted using whatever station, but always 91-octane, which is recommended or acceptable at least for BMW bikes. So, the customer being an engineer/skeptic argued and ultimately decided to pay them to pull one cylinder head off his bike to inspect the carbon deposits. They of course agreed and pulled it. It supposedly looked pretty bad considering the relatively low mileage on the bike. He was shown some other torn down engines laying around the shop for comparison and decided to follow their advice. So, he supposedly purchased and dumped in a bottle of Chevron Fuel system cleaner and I think another after 3K miles and exclusively used Chevron fuel only for 10K-20K miles, I forget. Anyways, he then came BACK and payed again for them to pull the cylinder head. Supposedly, they were ALL blown away at how the piston/head/valves now appeared. Basically, it appeared BRAND NEW. Even my friend was shocked at the dramatic improvement from the previous tear-apart. Now, you may think this resulted from the fuel system cleaner and not the fuel, however supposedly the fuel cleaner is just an extra strength dose of Techron which is always in the fuel.

Also, I've read all the propaganda from Chevron and X-brands I can find and Chevron seems to be the leaders in gasoline additive technology. Never really seen anybody try to discredit them either.

So, my .02 is that if you run Chevron fuel exclusively, your car doesn't require drastic measures like using highly corrosive cleaners like BG4, STP, Seafoam, etc.. Especially, when Nissan discourages using fuel cleaners, since SOME can be damaging to the injectors/o-rings/gaskets/other fuel components. My opinion is that I'd rather pay the extra $1 or $2 per fillup for Techron to gently clean/keep clean my fuel system/engine, so I don't have to worry about using strong fuel cleaners down the road to remove lots of buildup. Plus, due to Chevrons' anti-knock properties, probably due to what Jeff just posted, ie additives to enhance octane properties.

Not "proof" per say, but enough for me to be convinced to put up with the hassle to always find a Chevron and pay slightly more.

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Speaking of Chevron, I've been getting a lot of crap from my friends lately about being so **** about filling my car with nothing but Chevron gas. I don't mind paying the xtra money but I really don't have any "proof" that it's helping my car out other than my peace of mind. Care to elaborate why you think Chevron is any better? I've heard people say Techron is just a gimmick, so I guess now I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

Tony
Old 06-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

Cripes. I coulda read Shogun faster

Note: If your problem is "carbon deposits", then why would the Sentra run bad again with only 1/2 tank of "normal" gas? That is absolutely not enough time for any amount of carbon deposits to build up again to cause ping. Carbon deposits in any measurable amount is going to take time to build up(and to clean out-especially by ONLY using a certain type of gas with diluted amounts of techron)

If you think your problem is carbon, do the intake feed method with some Seafoam 1/2 bottle(run for a few 100 miles and change the oil) and pour the other 1/2 in the gas tank. I bet it will run better right away (octane boosters?)

I have also read in SCC that the Sentra or Alitima 4 cylinders had overly sensitive KS. They repositioned it and the engine was much happier
Old 06-10-2004, 05:41 AM

I think Nissan says not to use fuel system cleaners to discourage people who lack common sense from just dropping anything into their vehicles but than why does every Nissan Dealership sell BG 44K over the counter. Nissan also uses BG 44K when performing fuel induction cleanings. It also says on the can of BG
"For Professional Use Only" but the directions are to add one can to one full tank. ???????????????
Old 06-10-2004, 12:14 PM

Yeah, sometimes I'm a wordy *****.. Getting rare though, since I'd rather be lazy and not type out a complete paragraph or logical explanation anymore.

Anyways, the FIRST example was supporting my claim that Chevron fuel has somewhat better octane qualities(less pinging) or at least more consistent. And with your MSDS post, I know why, ie Naphtha, Benzene, and Xylene. At least the last two are considerable octane boosters.

If I was only concerned about highest anti-knock properties, I'd probably look elsewhere for fuel. My main reason is the gentle cleaning and I hope long-term benefits of minimal crap build up.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Cripes. I coulda read Shogun faster

Note: If your problem is "carbon deposits", then why would the Sentra run bad again with only 1/2 tank of "normal" gas? That is absolutely not enough time for any amount of carbon deposits to build up again to cause ping. Carbon deposits in any measurable amount is going to take time to build up(and to clean out-especially by ONLY using a certain type of gas with diluted amounts of techron)

If you think your problem is carbon, do the intake feed method with some Seafoam 1/2 bottle(run for a few 100 miles and change the oil) and pour the other 1/2 in the gas tank. I bet it will run better right away (octane boosters?)

I have also read in SCC that the Sentra or Alitima 4 cylinders had overly sensitive KS. They repositioned it and the engine was much happier
Old 06-10-2004, 12:25 PM

I somewhat agree to that being Nissans' logic behind that "Warning", however I wouldn't allow ANY Nissan tech to perform an "induction cleaning". I'd rather go to a shop that specializes in Motor-Vac, Carbon Clean, Injector Test, DeCarbon, or similar cleaning.

Dumping a can in the tank is only *PART* of a proper Fuel Injection System Service and honestly the WORST type of method you can use, since you're knocking all that sludge in the bottom of your fuel tank loose to clog the fuel filter/strainer, fuel pump, injector screens, and blow through your engine. IMO, a severely neglected fuel system(or those just ****) should follow this guys advice INSTEAD: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june98/techtotech.htm

I've found a local shop that performs the Motor-Vac service that I've heard is highly recommended. Cost is about $185 and requires 3hrs. to perform. I'm hoping this along with having the injectors Ultra-sonically cleaned/flowed solves or at least reduces my Sentras' detonation.

Originally Posted by PhillyFanCS
I think Nissan says not to use fuel system cleaners to discourage people who lack common sense from just dropping anything into their vehicles but than why does every Nissan Dealership sell BG 44K over the counter. Nissan also uses BG 44K when performing fuel induction cleanings. It also says on the can of BG
"For Professional Use Only" but the directions are to add one can to one full tank. ???????????????
Old 06-12-2004, 03:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought some Seafoam yesterday. My main concern right now is to clean my fuel system in both cars.
I'm going to do the crank case 500 miles before I change the oil.