Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Do I need to replace filter and gasket while changing ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do I need to replace filter and gasket while changing ATF?

Hi,

I'm going to replace ATF on my Maxima 2000 tomorrow. I checked with the service station I'm planning to change the ATF at and they told me they use a T-Tech for transmission flush. They also told me they won't replace the pan gasket since it doesn't leak. And they said they wouldn't replace a filter because it doesn't exist on these Maximas.

Is it true that there's no filter to replace? Anything else that I need to know or ask them?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:38 PM

Well replacing the gasket is a must but there exists a filter in the tranny but there are well documented cases where it is difficult to remove. If I were you and if you do intend to drop the pan, replace the gasket and spray brake cleaner on the on the filter.. Don't attempt to remove the screen (like filter) as you may have to regret putting a new one..

Good luck, and one other thing when putting the tranny bolts (18-22 of them) back, be nice and slow, the last time I did my tranny job I messed up the threads of 3 of them due to cross threading -- I was in a hurry to screw them back in as my wife was wild with me.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:13 PM

If the dealer uses a T-tech machine, they do not need to open the tranny pan. That is why they won't replace the gasket or filter. All they do is connect to the radiator return line and fill tube to cycle clean ATF through the system.

I've replaced the gasket and cleaned the filter on both a V6 Maxima and a 4cyl Altima. They are virtually identical. From my experience I can tell you the filter isn't a real "filter." Its a fine metal screen that may need cleaning, but probably never replacing. In my cases, it was perfectly clean both times. As Love said, remove and reinstalling the filter isn't as much fun as sex, but it is certainly doable for the average Saturday mechanic. If you drop the pan, you would be well advised to put a new gasket back on rather than reuse the old one.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the answers!

Yes, they are going to use a T-Tech machine so replacing ATF is not so labor-intensive. So they won't remove the pan at all and will not replace the gasket.

I understand that having the gasket replaced is important if the pan is dropped but what if it's not? Is it a waste of money to just replace the ATF without touching the pan?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yoksel
Thank you for the answers!

Yes, they are going to use a T-Tech machine so replacing ATF is not so labor-intensive. So they won't remove the pan at all and will not replace the gasket.

I understand that having the gasket replaced is important if the pan is dropped but what if it's not? Is it a waste of money to just replace the ATF without touching the pan?

My friend replacing ATF atleast every 30K miles is a MUST (w/wo having cleaned the pan). I did my first drain and fill when it was @ 35K miles and sent it for analysis -- the results were not pretty (if I had the OEM fluid further I don't know what would have happened to my tranny) so I decided to drop the pan and clean all up before doing the flush. FYI, there wasn't a whole lot of clutch material collected by the magets (these magnets are no regular ones, there are electomagetically manufactured, meaning they are magnetically charged very well to last the life of the car, I have to put a screw driver to get it off my pan). The analysis showed that even though the used ATF looks pink it is busted after 30K miles, its report was worse than my oil change analysis report -- the colors of used ATF is a wrong indication if it is going to provide enough lubrication or not. Just replace ATF every 2 yrs and you should have the tranny last 300K.

So, in short dropping and cleaning the magnets and screen is good but not essential, all that I would do is a regular flush with good Dino ATF (like Chevron Dexron H) + Lubegard Black HFM to bring it to NissanMatic ATF. Good luck and the whole process should not take more than an hr, get a ATF hose, plug it to the return line from radiator and start flushing....

Chevron Dexron III H speced fluid can be found over the counters for $1.69/Q. G speced fluid licenses are over... GM is no longer issuing G spec licenses to ATF manufactures... GM's H specs is supposed to last 100K miles has built in some friction modifies, so I would add 1/2 oz of Lubegard Black per Quart to start with and then add more if needed.