Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.
View Poll Results: Stay with Supreme Unleaded with gasoline prices so high?
Yes
89.29%
No
10.71%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

For you that use 93+ octane fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by C17chief
I moved to 87. I havent checked the MPG, but no pinging or other noticeable effects since, even at the first tank. I havent really driven it hard since 87 to see if performance change is noticeable. I doubt it would be much if it was anyways. About the most I could see is maybe slightly less MPG if anything at all changed.
If the last statement you made was true, then that alone justifies the extra green at the pump, don't you think? The slightly less MPG would add up over a tank of gas. I dunno, maybe I am trying to justify the V-Power gasoline for myself.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

Ill just ride it out, got a full tank of 93 today for $2.31.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 PM

if your car manual states 91 oct or higher why do you want to use anything less?? it is bad, knock sensor kicks in.. but what do i know, tha'ts what i've always believed, put the recommended and you'll be fine. if u get PING go for a tuneup.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

for those reducing octanes due to price climbing are only fooling themselves. 87 goes up just as fast as 93. you didn't mind paying $.20/gal more before, what's the difference now? yes the VQ is designed to accomodate whichever octane you choose. But it is designed for Premium. you put in regular, you get "regular" performance.

you keep switching back and forth b/c of prices changing, you're tearing up your engine while it continues to change itself to prevent knocking.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM

I ran across a 98 octane sunoco pump yesterday and my eyes lit up. The damn thing has been there an i just noticed it. I contemplated putting some 98 octane in my Max for approx. $5.00 a gallon. Would 98 be safe to use on an 04 Max?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jcberb
I ran across a 98 octane sunoco pump yesterday and my eyes lit up. The damn thing has been there an i just noticed it. I contemplated putting some 98 octane in my Max for approx. $5.00 a gallon. Would 98 be safe to use on an 04 Max?
Where at? I have a few friends who spray that will want to know.

It will be safe to use but why?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 PM

Sorry bro, it is in Baltimore MD where i am at (Military temporarily stationed here).

I figured that it would be a more "efficeint" fuel to utilize in my engine. I have to read up a bit more on it though. But i also thought that 98 would be "too much" for our engines... .

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Where at? I have a few friends who spray that will want to know.

It will be safe to use but why?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:39 PM

i think it does nothing, unless it was track night, ur ur spinning some turbines.. same theory imo if u have a car that needs 87, and it reads "use gas at least 87 and higher" so 89, 91 or whatever would all work, but then if u use anything lower than 87 for example, is when u get PROBS>.

but still, unless ur car was programmed to run then i don't think a 98 would do much, if anything it'll have a higher resistance to PING than the 91 that's recommended for my maxima at least (1997).
Old 04-01-2005, 07:03 PM

A friend of mine has a 2001 GLE and he did this very thing, dropping down when gas went up. He first went to 89 for a couple of tanks and then dropped to 87. He said two things that stood out to me: 1) "I think my mileage might have dropped about 1 to 2 mpg." 2) "It doesn't seem to have that good hard kick when you hammer down on it."

Ok, so we just dropped at least a mile per gallon, which it's probably closer to 2, but I'll say 1.5. If you have an 18.5 gallon gas tank like my 2000 SE, 18.5 x 1.5 = 27.75 is how many miles you just lost on a whole tank of gas. On all highway driving, which few of us get to enjoy every day of every year, you might get the high side of a Maxima fuel efficiency of 28 mpg, but more likely you average less than that because you don’t drive all highway. At 27.75 miles lost, that means you lose one gallon of gas every time you fill up, so you pay another $2.20 (if that’s what you pay for 87) over a tank full in efficiency.

If gas prices run the same where you are, as they do here, you usually pay roughly 20 cents more per gallon for 93 over 87. 18.5 x .20 = $3.70 subtract your $2.20 you just lost in efficiency and you just saved $1.50 to have less power.

So many people buy octane boosters and fuel system cleaners to get a better running engine and I can't name one that costs $1.50. So is it worth a buck and a half to you? because it isn't to me.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Oh and here's one more little "do the math" nugget for you. If you fill up about once a week and we round the $1.50 up to $2 for those who pay a little less in gas and have a higher margin between grades...$2 x 52 weeks in a year means you saved $104 ALL YEAR! Some of you spend more than that on accessories in a month.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM

If you don't intend to keep the car down the stretch, why baby and cherry it? Simple as that. If you have a car in mind and going to switch, then who cares like many have said.

But if you want to keep it for over 5-8 years or whatever, then take care of it. It isn't so hard. The thing is, an alternative solution should and MUST (imo) be achieved. It is getting to a point where we will deplete and or while still have these climbing prices..

I'm sure most of us has now agreed, and can see that putting below sucks. Prices are too unstable already to calculate any means, but we understand that it is on the INCREASING trend line, so ya.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM

last it out, these rising oil prices cant last forever...id suggest filling up to the very max and keep putting in a bit of money to keep it filled along the way, i get much better mileage than putting in a bit of money near the bottom, whoever knows about bouyancy and bertoulis law can proly explain this, i should be considering im learning this in physics right now in university, but hey, **** it,
when iraq and other countries settle down gas prices should decrease a bit, proly not for us to notice to old times,,,but if it continues to rise i can only assume a repeat of the past...if u can get the thousands of orgers here to sign a petition telling nissan to some how build a hybrid with more hoursepower and luxury that we are currently gettting, im guessing a guy will read it and giggle, thats as far as it goes and thats how the cookie crumbles lol
Old 04-07-2005, 02:50 PM
BK1
Hello

Stick with the 93, you get more mileage. The lower cost of 87 negates itself by giving you less mileage, and less power and maybe hurting your car.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Do unto others...

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Ill just ride it out, got a full tank of 93 today for $2.31.
When did you fill up? 1955?!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm still using 93. I'm with the do the math crowd, still only a few bucks difference on a fillup.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 PM

Owners manual says minimum of 87, but 91 is suggested. I am running at 87 and have no problems. Americans spend billions a year more on gas then they have to based on false claims and myths relating to higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the more compression needed for the fuel to combust. By putting higher octane fuel in a car not made for it you could potentially be doing harm and getting worse gas mileage because you will not be getting a full burn. Anyway, all the info is out there on the internet. Just do a search for the benefits of high octane and you will soon realize there are none in most cases.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
Ok, you do have me wondering....how much difference is there? I know for a fact that when you have run nothing but Super since the beginning, if you put anything less in it, you will feel the difference. Iven been broke and done it to my 97 SE.

I guess im wondering, will that difference balance out? Surely a expert in this matter will step up from here.....
I know a little about this subject. See what I have to say about it in general on the thread "Octane Number and what it means" in this section of this site.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396716

I would say that if you are currently getting pinging with 91 octane gasoline, you need to put a bottle of Chevron's Techron in your tank to help clean out the deposits in your engine. This is one of the very best for cleaning modern fuel injectors (and I don't work for Chevron or own their stock). If you do this, the best time is just before an oil change because it has a tendency to increase the viscosity of the motor oil in your pan. The government mandated level of injector cleaner required in gasoline is not sufficient to keep most modern injectors as clean as they should be. I currently add a bottle of Techron just before I plan to do every oil change.

The VQ35 engine is among the most modern available as far as technology is concerned. It has the ability to compensate for differences in octane, and does so fairly rapidly. I would doubt that it would take 2 tanks of a different octane gasoline before it "did it's thing" and compensated for the difference. Much of that compensation will be a change in the spark advance, which is why you should stick to premium if you race. I tend to doubt that this change in octane will make much of a difference in the mileage you get with your Max.

Whether you need to burn premium gasoline depends on where you live (the elevation above sea level) and how you drive your car. (See my discussion of octane at elevation, I won't repeat that here.) If you frequently race or have a very heavy foot, you should definitely burn premium. If you are light-footed and rarely get on it, then either mid-grade or regular will work for you. If you are curious and considering changing grades, I would suggest first going to mid-grade and try a few tanks. If you have any problems, you can always go back to premium. If mid-grade works for you, then try going to regular.

A final point here (I don't want to repeat all I said on the other thread): The Honda Accord V-6 has a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio and advetises that it can burn regular gasoline, while the Maxima has a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio and recommends premium (but allows 87 regular). Both engines are among the most modern available today (and beat most Detroit iron hands down). Hard to believe that 0.3 can make that much difference in the fuel each engine needs. So try the mid grade first.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
wat

Good lord its like a $3 difference each fillup if you go down to 87 octane. That worth the 20hp you'll be missing when you try to hit WOT?

Some of you are babies, its 20 freaking cents of a difference most the time, if you fillup 14 gallons, thats a $2.80 difference. You guys can't afford $2.80? Maybe some of you shouldnt be driving then, cause gas is the least of your worries.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by BlueC
Some of you are babies, its 20 freaking cents of a difference most the time, . . .
That was the spread here until recently. Now we have the same 10 cent spread between Premium and Mid Grade, but the spread between Mid Grade and Regular is up to 14 cents or so at many stations. The station dealers here are "fighting" with the regular price (by lowering it) while trying to make more money on the other two grades of gasoline. That puts the increased cost of 15 gallons of Premium to $3.60 more.

But the real question is: do I really need to spend extra money for Premium when my car will perform just fine on either Mid Grade or even Regular? Am I wasting money buying Premium? I answered that question -- for my driving style -- as a yes. So I use Regular most of the time.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im sticking with supreme as well, my new brand is BP Ultimate 98 Octane. Gas is very expensive here. I hate to leave Chevron, but there is no Chevron around here. So im using BP at $5.26 cents a gallon (98 RON)

Next mod , replace o2 sensors, and read book on how to save gas ! Rule number one, park car for long periods of time
Old 04-27-2005, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
im sticking with supreme as well, my new brand is BP Ultimate 98 Octane.
A good choice for Premium Gasoline = BP Ultimate. BP (formerly Amoco) in much of the East, South, and Midwest puts their Premium Gasoline through an extra refining step that no other company does, called a "re-run tower." This extra step takes out certain petroleum fractions that make un-died gasoline look yellow (like cow ****). These fractions do not burn as cleanly. Thus, BP Ultimate will look exactly like clear water if you view it through clear glass. Other brands of Premium will either be yellow or died some other color.

I didn't know that any station in the USA could advertise the RON of their gasoline. Most 93 octane Premium will have about 98 RON, but you are supposed to be told the (R+M)/2 octane, which is 93.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I didn't know that any station in the USA could advertise the RON of their gasoline. Most 93 octane Premium will have about 98 RON, but you are supposed to be told the (R+M)/2 octane, which is 93.
I think Ceasar lives in New Zealand now......
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
wat

I only use BP since Ive never had a problem with their gas. Not to mention theres one 2 mins away from my house, so its at a good location.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BlueC
Good lord its like a $3 difference each fillup if you go down to 87 octane. That worth the 20hp you'll be missing when you try to hit WOT?

WHAT?

What are you smoking? and where can I get some?.. The minimal power difference in lowering octane is NOT noticiable in the Maxima. You may notice it should you be making timed 1/4 runs, but lets be honest...anyone driving a Maxima is clearly not concerned soley with 1/4 times.

Changing from 91 to 87 IS ok..Manufacturer states so.

I think most people have to overcome a mental issue. "Im not paying $2.60 a gallon for super. Ill pay $2.30 for the regular".

And another point.

The fuel lines from the refineries are shared from point a to point b. Lets say Mobil pays 2 million for gasoline to a refinery---they take it from the end of the pipeline in Chicago and distribute to the midwest. They add in all the BS additives and advertising and you pay $2.25/gallon.

Gaseteria could take gas from the same point in Chicago and charge less. You are getting the same stuff.

I saw a show on this on cable. It was a while ago..but that part stuck with me.

and on closing note, I would never buy gas from a Gaseteria.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Bones45
WHAT?

What are you smoking? and where can I get some?.. The minimal power difference in lowering octane is NOT noticiable in the Maxima. You may notice it should you be making timed 1/4 runs, but lets be honest...anyone driving a Maxima is clearly not concerned soley with 1/4 times.

Changing from 91 to 87 IS ok..Manufacturer states so.

I think most people have to overcome a mental issue. "Im not paying $2.60 a gallon for super. Ill pay $2.30 for the regular".

And another point.

The fuel lines from the refineries are shared from point a to point b. Lets say Mobil pays 2 million for gasoline to a refinery---they take it from the end of the pipeline in Chicago and distribute to the midwest. They add in all the BS additives and advertising and you pay $2.25/gallon.

Gaseteria could take gas from the same point in Chicago and charge less. You are getting the same stuff.

I saw a show on this on cable. It was a while ago..but that part stuck with me.

and on closing note, I would never buy gas from a Gaseteria.
Well that "minimal" power difference is equal to what some people buy a y-pipe for. Id rather pay the extra $3 for that same performance the car is made to put out. I'd rather put in the gas the car was made for. Sure the ECU knows when you're putting in the cheap stuff and will compensate for the lack of octane, but then thats means its running in a safe mode to prevent detonation.

I guess I'm not that type of person that likes to be "cheap" with everything. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this car, and im going to do whats neccessary to keep it running right. Maybe thats why I never run into big problems with the knock sensor or 02 sensors?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:54 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Personally I'm going through an exercise of trying to get the best MPG possible.

- Tuneup
- Tires at 32psi
- 65mph on the freeway
- No WOT
- Accelerate at 1/3 throttle (max) up to cruising speed

I went from 20mpg (back when I would go WOT from every other stopsign) to about 24/25mpg. I do about 1500miles per month. WOT driving on 93 costs me $175/mo. Granny driving on 87 costs about $125.

I'm gonna see if I can improve my economy by taking the freeway on my journey home each day - currently I drive the backroads so I avoid the heavy traffic, but these days the backroads are just as congested...

Edit: My wife drives a Jeep GC and gets 16mpg...
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 20V6
I think Ceasar lives in New Zealand now......
Well, BP worldwide has picked up on the Ultimate name that Amoco used for their Premium Gasoline. I don't know if they are also putting their Ultimate through re-run towers world wide. Understand they continue to do this at the Amoco Refineries they now run that supply the East, South and Midwest sections of the USA.

Ceasar needs to change his listed location so as not to confuse us.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scruit
Personally I'm going through an exercise of trying to get the best MPG possible.

- Tuneup
- Tires at 32psi
- 65mph on the freeway
- No WOT
- Accelerate at 1/3 throttle (max) up to cruising speed
All good tactics for improving MPG. Another one is to not run the RPMs too high before you shift (I have a 6-speed) or the auto trannie shifts to the next higher gear. I try to shift up by the time the RPS get to about 2,500 RPM. With the 6-speed I should get my best MPG (theoretically) when cruising in top gear at about 55 mph.

If you departed on you commute either earlier or later, could you miss some of the stop-and-go traffic on the interstate highway? That would also help.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bones45
The minimal power difference in lowering octane is NOT noticiable in the Maxima. You may notice it should you be making timed 1/4 runs . . . Changing from 91 to 87 IS ok..Manufacturer states so.

And another point.

All of your points in the first paragraph are correct. If you are racing, use Premium; if you have a turbo-charger, use Premium. Otherwise, save your money and burn Regular (or Mid-Grade).

Your points made in "Another Point" above are partly correct and partly wrong. But it is difficult to make generalizations about the Oil Industry and always be correct.

Many products pipelines are run as "common carrier" pipelines. They ship products for any refiner who can meet the specifications and other requirements on each end of the line. For many (but not all) of these lines, products from a number of refiners are all stored in the same tank. When a specific company loads a truck, they have their gasoline additive package blended into the co-mingled gasoline they are loading. In this case, the only difference is the additive package.

But there are some common carriers that don't co-mingle products from all of their shippers, and there are some pipelines that are private and only ship product for one company. Also, product loaded into trucks at a specific refinery are almost always made at that refinery.

In another post, I talk about BP Ultimate in the East, South and Midwest. In all of those markets, BP pays extra to keep this one product segregated from other Premium gasolines shipped by other refiners. Ultimate in these markets is specifically unique and always made at a BP refinery. BP also does not sell or swap this product with any other company. So a BP station is the only place you can buy it.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:18 AM

haha.. there shouldn't be much doubt already as to what you should put in your car... its like if u wanna prevent optimal conditions and put ur car at risk so be it. if ur just one of those keep cars for 5 years trade, then just do it..

shouldn't be much discussion already.. u put what u want to, u put something that'll ruin ur car down the road, so be it...
Old 04-29-2005, 07:35 PM

rising gas prices, *sigh*. i won't put anything less than premium in, so my solution is to lessen excessive driving. for those w/ aftermarket ecus, i don't think you're allowed to even use anything less than 91 octane.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:32 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Nope...I keep buying the best stuff I can find. Bad fuel will lead to problems which cost more money than the savings of not buying the good stuff.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:36 PM

I don't notice any difference in how my car runs whether I use 89, 91 or 92 octane. Perhaps if I was racing I would notice it in my times, but I'm not racing. I used premium more often than not this winter, but historically I run 89 octane 80% of the time since day 1 with no adverse consequences. I have run 89 Chevron bought in Blaine, Washington a couple of months ago and the car ran like crap. I think its got to do with the lousy 87 and 89 octane-gas, and associated additives, that is sold in the US.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:21 PM

I always remember that dyno that showed a -22 hp -19 ft-lbs loss from going from 91 to 87 Octane. And that 2003 VQ35DE Altima that dynoed 8-10whp more with 93 Octan versus 89.

You will NOT feel it right away, because that KS SLOWLY goes mad, it's like grandpa... it's gradual... she gets used to the slowly decreasing performance and only someone driving a healthy max can tell you if it's in good shape.

I really need to stop making those disgusting analogies.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I usually buy my gas from Shell or Quiktrip.. The only time i noticed a difference in using high octane fuel is adding a fuel booster in when i fill up with high octane.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:48 PM

its 2.50 somthign here for 91. it sucks was 2.65 mabye it still is havent gotten gas in a wHiLE.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
the gas prices are outrageous! everytime i go fill her up, i think about downgrading to a mid gas, but i just can't seem to. instead of filling her up all the way, i just put about 3/4 tank and drive less.

peter
Agreed, except i'm slightly different from everyone here, i hate the extra weight of the gas so i used to always put in $10CDN in my tank and then just go to the station frequently. Now that $10 has turned into $14 to make it even worthwhile. Gas prices suck, but i do try to drive less (and i already drive very little). I don't think i'll ever switch down grades though

LEMAR
Old 05-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Banned

Yeah, gas weighs 6Lbs per gallon, full tank weighs a portly 120+Lbs!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw

You will NOT feel it right away, because that KS SLOWLY goes mad, it's like grandpa... it's gradual... she gets used to the slowly decreasing performance and only someone driving a healthy max can tell you if it's in good shape.

I really need to stop making those disgusting analogies.

ewww, your "grandpa" is a "she"? nasty...
Old 06-13-2005, 05:32 PM

I have a thought for you all... When i first got my car back in February I ran 87 octane. Probably for 6 or 7 full tanks. I averaged between 320 and 330 miles per tank. I then switched to 93 octane just to give it a try and have been running it ever since, because I now get between 380 and 400 miles per tank. I figured out the number of miles per dollar i was getting at both. For 87 octane i was getting like 9.5 miles per dollar and with 93 octane i was getting 10.5. (assuming the cost of 93 octane was 20 cents more than 87)

There you have it.

Quick Reply: For you that use 93+ octane fuel...