Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.
View Poll Results: Stay with Supreme Unleaded with gasoline prices so high?
Yes
89.29%
No
10.71%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

For you that use 93+ octane fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
...a fill up is now in excess of $55 when im near empty.
It is not good to consistently run you tank down to near empty -- unless you have some specific knowledge that gas prices will soon be falling.

I like to fill up when my gas gauge shows the tank is between half and 1/3 full and certainly by the time it gets to 1/4 full. In the winter it is much safer to keep your tank close to full. This is because an empty gas tank provides much more material inside of the tank for moisture to condense upon and then end up in the bottom of your tank.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:09 AM

I'd say that constantly filling up between 1/3 and 1/2 full is a tad ****! Certainly running the tank low until the idiot light comes on is not a prudent thing to do, 1/3 to 1/2 full....
Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
I'd say that constantly filling up between 1/3 and 1/2 full is a tad ****! Certainly running the tank low until the idiot light comes on is not a prudent thing to do,
So, what do you mean? When you you stop for gas?

I'm certainly not **** about this. Yesterday I only bought about 3 gallons -- because of the unusually low price and the fact that prices will stay high around here, at least until after Labor Day. (I hope they come down some after that.)

In the post you are criticizing, I was trying to suggest that it is not prudent to always run you tank down to less than 1/4 tank before buying gas. Guess you did not like the way I did that.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:30 PM

If you are concerned about moisture in your gas tank, you ethanol gas. If you are concerned in the winter, put a little methyl hydrate in the gas tank.

Alternatiavely use the two-stage BG02 process and any moisture will be removed from the gas tank.

I, too, top up if the price is right, but I have no problem running the tank down to below 1/4 full, particularly in the three seasons that do not start with a "w".
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
It is not good to consistently run you tank down to near empty -- unless you have some specific knowledge that gas prices will soon be falling.

I like to fill up when my gas gauge shows the tank is between half and 1/3 full and certainly by the time it gets to 1/4 full. In the winter it is much safer to keep your tank close to full. This is because an empty gas tank provides much more material inside of the tank for moisture to condense upon and then end up in the bottom of your tank.
Actually I usually fill up right before the light goes on, I dont go to empty...However with the upswings and downswings in prices, and all the different places around here with price variences of 20+ cents at times that also weighs heavilly on what I do.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 PM

I knew a person that had a I30 and she use 87oct. the whole life of the car for 6 years and never had a problem with it until my friend wrecked it.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 PM

And I have almost exclusively burned the cheapest grade of branded gasoline in my Max for 46 K miles. {Branded: I stay away from unknown brand stations, but consider Safeway (food stores) and Sams (part of Wal-Mart) -- for example -- to be branded -- because they will stand behind any problems you may have with poor gasoline they might sell you.}

Here in Colorado I burn 85 octane gasoline exclusively. At 6 K feet elevation, 85 octane acts like 91 octane at sea level -- when burned in most vehicles that are not turbo-charged. In Iowa and parts of Nebraska, the state gives a tax break on 10% ethanol gasohol and thus 89 octane mid-grade gasoline is normally the cheapest grade. I also run a bottle of Techron through my fuel system just before each oil change (every 7.5 K miles) to prevent the formation of engine deposits on valves and spark plugs. {Deposits promote knocking because they increase both cylinder pressure and temperature.}
Old 08-13-2006, 09:48 AM

Does it make any difference if I get Shell 93, Sunoco 93, or Mobil/Exxon 93???

Or are they all the same??
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 AM

I still use 93 since day 1, I have run 87 a few times and felt the car had a slightly rougher idle and noticed the tach jumping a little, with 87 I could tell the car was on and running, 93 it's as smooth as silk and can't tell it's running at idle.

With these newer cars and higher compression ratios, they should be run on premium, years ago if a car had a high compression ratio you put premium in it or else it ran like crap, but with modern technology and these ECU that will readjust the timing people will run the 87, will the 20cents extra for what the car was meant for really break anyone I doubt it.

Seems that most of the people I know pissed about gas prices are smokers, 5 bucks for a pack a day or every other day and gas is expensive, at least gas serves a purpose.

I'll keep 87 in my car unless it becomes 87 for 3 dollars and 93 for 7 dollars then I would switch but 20 cents extra, I stopped drinking Donkin Donuts Ice Coffee every day so Im saving 3 bucks every day
Old 08-13-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
Does it make any difference if I get Shell 93, Sunoco 93, or Mobil/Exxon 93? Or are they all the same??
In Silver Spring, MD it is very likely that all of these different stations recieved their gasoline from either a Colonial Pipeline or a Plantation Pipeline terminal -- so the base gasoline is essentially all the same. The big difference will be in the additive package that each company puts into the gasoline while it is being loaded into the tanker truck that will haul the gasoline to the gas station. You might experiment to find which package you like the best -- particularly the fuel injector cleaner that is in each package.

For a number of years Sunoco had a 94 octane premium, but like BP's Crystal Clear Ultimate, they have all been eliminated due to the multiple government mandated grades of gasoline for relatively small geographic areas.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:56 AM

You can still get your Crystal Clear fix in the Chicago area when you come and visit.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 PM

In Silver Spring, MD it is very likely that all of these different stations recieved their gasoline from either a Colonial Pipeline or a Plantation Pipeline terminal -- so the base gasoline is essentially all the same. The big difference will be in the additive package that each company puts into the gasoline while it is being loaded into the tanker truck that will haul the gasoline to the gas station. You might experiment to find which package you like the best -- particularly the fuel injector cleaner that is in each package.

For a number of years Sunoco had a 94 octane premium, but like BP's Crystal Clear Ultimate, they have all been eliminated due to the multiple government mandated grades of gasoline for relatively small geographic areas.
Is there an online source where I could read more about these additives?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Is there an online source where I could read more about these additives?
I've not heard of one. If you do any searching (such as Chevron's Techron additive), not only are specific additives important, but the treat rate being used by each company. A great additive with a minimum treat rate will not help much.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
You can still get your Crystal Clear fix in the Chicago area when you come and visit.
It should be available at BP stations as far east as South Bend, IN and as far west as Rochelle, IL -- with none in Michigan, Wisconisn or southern or central IN or IL.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:28 PM

I've not heard of one. If you do any searching (such as Chevron's Techron additive), not only are specific additives important, but the treat rate being used by each company. A great additive with a minimum treat rate will not help much.
Wow. I've been learning a lot lately. This is some great stuff.

Thanks for the help.

So far I've only used 93 Sunoco, and I filled up at a Shell once because the 93 was $3.21! That's about 10-15 cents cheaper than all other stations within 25 miles of that particular station.

Maybe it'll be easier to understand if I knew what each company claimed for their 93.

For example, I know that Shell claims better gas mileage with their V-Power.

So what do mobil/exxon/sunoco and the like all claim? Performance oriented? Economy oriented? That kind of thing.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Maybe it'll be easier to understand if I knew what each company claimed for their 93. For example, I know that Shell claims better gas mileage with their V-Power. So what do mobil / exxon / sunoco and the like all claim? Performance oriented? Economy oriented? That kind of thing.
The claims have to be based on their additives and are not as important as the performance in you own car. I suspect that you will be hard pressed to tell any difference between Sunoco, Exxon, Mobil, Shell, etc. Unless one station that you were using happened to get a "bad batch of gasoline" just before you bought it there.

I personally buy on price (but not unbranded) and then run a bottle of Techron through my tank just before I change motor oil (every 7.5 K miles). That way I don't have to worry about the treat rate of any of the different brands I buy over time. The Techron additive that I consistently put in will keep my engine clean.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:46 AM

Whats an extra $.25 more when I am already paying $3 per gallon.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:11 AM

The small price differential doesn't result in a significantly higher cost. Not a huge difference over a year.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Gotta put in what your car really needs. I don't care if the knock sensor reduces premature detonation, I want my car's engine to perform the way it's supposed too for many, many miles.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by olsona5
Gotta put in what your car really needs. I don't care if the knock sensor reduces premature detonation, I want my car's engine to perform the way it's supposed too for many, many miles.
If you frequently call for WOT (wide open throttle), then you certainly should burn only premium. I don't (only very rarely) -- and so I don't burn premium. The VQ engine in my Max performs the way I ask it to perform. I'm also convinced (but can't prove it scientifically) that I get better gas mileage on the highway by burning regular -- because the engine is essentially loaping along not working that hard when you are cruising at 75 MPH or so. If I were driving consistently at 100 MPH, I would switch to premium because I would be asking more from the VQ than I do at 75.

Burn the gasoline that suits your driving style -- you Max will accomodate all grades that are deemed appropriate in the owners manual. If you frequently race your Max, burn only premium.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you frequently call for WOT (wide open throttle), then you certainly should burn only premium. I don't (only very rarely) -- and so I don't burn premium. The VQ engine in my Max performs the way I ask it to perform. I'm also convinced (but can't prove it scientifically) that I get better gas mileage on the highway by burning regular -- because the engine is essentially loaping along not working that hard when you are cruising at 75 MPH or so. If I were driving consistently at 100 MPH, I would switch to premium because I would be asking more from the VQ than I do at 75.

Burn the gasoline that suits your driving style -- you Max will accomodate all grades that are deemed appropriate in the owners manual. If you frequently race your Max, burn only premium.
Thats why I always burn 93 octane cant resist going wot.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM

93 octane

I have typically used 87 in the wife's Max, however I just changed to 93 because even under slight acceleration from a light or driving in the neighborhood, it knocks/ pings. I hope it's nothing more than the winter blend fuels.

Dean
Old 10-26-2006, 08:37 AM

Dean,

I suspect that you are having problems with deposits. Try a treatment with Techron fuel system cleaner. That should remove the deposits and cure your problem.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM

Saving $.10 a gallon isn't going to make my wallet much fatter. I'll stick with good gas.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Always 93

What's a few more bucks when your spending $35-40 anyway. Just look at it this way, a gallon of milk still costs more than a gallon of gas. My 2 cents.
Oliver
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 AM

I wont do anything but 93 Octane regardless of price..recent trip out of Texas up to KC and all I could find is 91 Octane???? so I just bought some octane booster and just used half the bottle per fillup..I know it really doesnt make a difference.. just personal preference..

Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 AM

I've been using 89 octane since 91 isn't offered. (in my expanded area the octane levels offered are 87, 89, and 93). I drive 90% highway, and 10% city. Since my last fill-up, my odometer reads 358 miles, and the gas light has not lit up yet.

I try to keep everything constant to measure my mpg. I always go to the same gas station (wawa), and average about 65-70 mph. It's weird because sometimes my odometer will read 320 miles and the light will be on, and other times it wont light up for another 30 - 40 miles.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM

I try to use premium all the time.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:39 PM

either 91 or 93 every time.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

These are the specifications and tests that gasoline must pass for all grades in order to be approved by automotive manufacturers:

http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 AM

I use 93 at whatever station has it cheapest.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
northjerzmax

^^ amen to that^^

Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 PM

waste oh money to put anything more than 91, 89 is actually the best if u dont go to the track
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
driving so slow aint easy

**** where im at the gas for 93oct is f****ing 2.75 and still going up $$$$ damn!!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by FriscoMax
Any of you considering sacrificing performace for the extra greenbacks in your wallet?

Never, Shell V-Power 93 all the way!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by lobewiper
O.K., Jayzmax, here's your chance to be of real service. Do a few 0-60 runs with the best gas, then shift to 87 octane for a couple of tankfuls and rerun 0-60 times. Let us know what you discover...
Don't even bother, let them keep thinking octane=hp. If they actually figured out otherwise 87 might go up in cost, I like it where it is =)
Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 PM

"let them keep thinking octane=hp"

We know that octane is not HP. But in the VQ engine, higher (91) octane allows the engine to perform at its design maximum. Burning this gets the last bit of performance the engine is capable of providing.

I continue to burn regular (down to 85 octane in the Rocky Mountains), but if I were running at the track (or doing time trials), I would be burning premium. There is a place for premium gasoline, just not in my Max.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
When are gas prices going down

Around here, we have 87, 89 and 93. If there was a 91, though, they'd charge the same as what 93 is now, so I'm glad to get the octane bump to keep knock down. Today I saw premium for $2.909. Didn't exactly make me want to fill up.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM

I must run premium or my car nocks.

Also, one thing I can say is that Shell gas sucks! I have studied this and EVERY time I have bought their premium fuel my car runs "non-normal". I avoid Shell even if they are cheaper. And the problem doesn't tie to just one single Shell station - it's any of them.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Premium quality

Every state has its own additives in the fuel. I notice when I buy WI gas in the southwest part of the state my car runs better. Once I go to Milwaukee area, it seems that the premium over there make my car hesitate. Wisconsin has premium octane levels anywhere between 91 to 93. Shell gas in Wisconsin is a heck of a lot better than Kwik Trip gas! That KW s**t is half water.

Quick Reply: For you that use 93+ octane fuel...