Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 10:40 PM
lymby

I have 1300 miles on my Maxima. When I hit 2500-3000, I want to change the oil. Nissan recommends 3750 for the first change. That it too long for petroleum based oils. I want synthetic in mine. I used Mobil 1 filters in my lincoln, as well as mobil synthetic, sometimes pennzoil synthetic. My lincoln was a 95, that is why I used it. My Maxima is new, and I want the best for it.

How long till I change the synthetic in a new Maxima? What do you guys recommend, between changes? One website I looked at recommends 25,000 or 1 year. Another said don't go over 10,000 with the new Mobil 1 filters. He says the Mobil synthetic used to go over 10k, not any more. The range between the two doesn't make sense. One for 25k and the other for under 10k.

Throw me some feedback? Newbie here, you know

Old 05-13-2001, 12:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Check out bill99gxe's post in the FAQ thread up at the top. He's compiled some good data on oil change intervals and stuff.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:22 AM

Synthetic Success

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Check out bill99gxe's post in the FAQ thread up at the top. He's compiled some good data on oil change intervals and stuff.
In my last two cars (Ram Air TA, Regal GS Supercharged) I changed oil at 3000-3500. Went to Mobil 1 Synthetic at 1st change and have never had a single large repair (knocking on wood). I was told that valves need to seat and other internals need to break in and petroleum products work better during this period. By 3000 miles the engine is ready to be protected from the additional assistance that synthetics produce. I have already changed tranny fluid and brake fluid to full synthetic and have 7200 miles on the SE/AE. Synthetics will not break down as quickly and thus you can change oil at longer intervals (up to 7500 miles) I highly recommend Mobil 1 and Redline Synthetics!! My Nissan (Endicott ) even allows me to purchase oil outright and they only charge labor and filter.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:52 AM

Re: Synthetic Success

Oh my max i change the mabile 1 oil out ever 4 to 5k miles.
I use a genuine nissan oil filter as well.
No problems here.
I hope...
Old 05-13-2001, 09:06 PM
lymby

thanks for the feedback. it has been a great help. i have a few more thousand before i decide on which brand to use. as well as which brand oil filter

later

Old 05-13-2001, 09:22 PM

I have heard warning that you should keep your recipes from your oil-changes, because if Nissan asks to see your evidence of regular maintenance, and you don't have the recipes, they can deny you warrantee repair.

Now my question is...since Nissan recommends oil change every 3700 miles...and if I change every 10K with synthetic, would they bite my head off?

Green
Old 05-13-2001, 09:24 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I think Nissan

engines still take a long time to break in.. Basically, Honda engines are broke in by 1K, however i found my Max engine characteristics were still changing and smoothing out at 6K. I went Syn at 14K. I meant to do it at 10-12K, but was in a hurry and did a dino/dealer change at the time. So far I've been very happy since switching. I swear the car is much smoother, especially on startup/warmup.

the upside to the long breakin is a 200K engine.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:21 AM

Re: I think Nissan

Originally posted by TimW
engines still take a long time to break in.. Basically, Honda engines are broke in by 1K, however i found my Max engine characteristics were still changing and smoothing out at 6K. I went Syn at 14K. I meant to do it at 10-12K, but was in a hurry and did a dino/dealer change at the time. So far I've been very happy since switching. I swear the car is much smoother, especially on startup/warmup.

the upside to the long breakin is a 200K engine.
What's a dino/dealer change???
Old 05-14-2001, 06:55 AM

Well I changed to Mobil 1 after 2,500 miles. and use NAPA
Gold filters, the best, at about 50% more than FRAM filters.
I change my oil every 3 months and as I live close to work this equates to about 1,600 miles, but with the short trips the oil is ready for changing. I do it myself and the oil filter is a pain to get to. I have to jack the car up about 10" and use a special strap wrentch.

2K SE, from WA, Mike
Old 05-14-2001, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
menacer dino/ dealer change = non-synthetic oil change.

mike-777, turn the wheel all the way right, turn off motor, and use them muscles. 14mm socket wrench, and catch pan.

I do oil changes in my driveway in 10-15 minutes.
I've done it in my friends driveway in under 10 minutes, cause he wanted to time me.

-Peace
yo_its_ok Thanks for the info. The dino thing threw mw of a little. I had a feeling that it was a regular oil change but wasn't sure if maybe something else was involved. One more thing. When I did my oil change I had to jack my car up and take the plastic guards of which later I found I only had to of one of them. My question is since you only have to take off the right tire or turn it, when taking out the filter is there enough room to put something so the oil doesn't spill? Thanks.

-OctoMan
Old 05-14-2001, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Menacer, well I'm a technician, I used to work for Nissan, so I know my way around the Maxima. The oil change just requires some awkward positioning, but its fairly easy. I haven't removed any plastic cover, I just push it aside, get my hands in there, and usually spray my hands with brake cleaner so I get a better drip. Also using special gloves called "monkey" gloves which are plastic coated gloves that give incredible grip, and help me break the rubber seal bewteen filter and block.
I have a low profile catch pan, that has a strainer, and I keep a magnet close just in case the drain plug falls into the pool of oil. The filter just falls into the pan, and I dispose of it by wraping the filter in a plastic bag and going to a shop or oil recycling center and dispose of it properly.
Expect some scrapes along the way, but the job is rewarding to complete it, and the car feels so much better.

-Peace
You saved me a lot of time. Take care.
Old 05-14-2001, 03:15 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

very VERY good idea YIOK

I was surprised that Nissan doesnt use magnetic plugs. Putting one in the drain stream is very good idea. I use the type of pan that is closed and concave so that it flows into a hole (with plug so you can transport to dispose). I'll just put a magnet there that it must flow by to go into the pan. No more tearing open nasty filters!

Btw, my next oil change, I'm am sending my 18K change oil Blackstone Labs. They sent me two free kits from their site. Its only $18.50 for a very complete analysis. I will get a baseline, so that I can check it every 30K miles or so.

BTW, I jack alittle but the car doesnt leave the ground and I do not remove the shield either. pretty simple change. and couldnt be quicker. I feel like a moron for letting the dealer do it 4-5 times.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:21 PM
lymby

good tip about the magnet. i had a lincoln continental that i used to put up on wheel lifts, you know those ugly red or yellow ramps. my drive way is somewhat tilted downward. so if i put my car up on those it levels out the car. worked great for the lincoln, i could get in to grap the filter.

will i really have to turn the wheels on my maxima to get in and grap the filter. i only have 1600 miles. i want the break in period to fully sink in, so i am going to change at around 3000 or 3700. we'll see.