Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:16 PM

First oil change.

Hi guys, I'm going to do the first oil change myself after I've found this forum. I was looking for instructions to do the oil change and what I need to buy for it but i couldn't find any good post.

I have(on my list to buy) *updated*

Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil.
Mobil 1 oil filter. (i will be using the OEM one, M1-105 - couldn't find it)
Crush rings for the oil plug. (can someone give me a link to what it is? sold?)
Don't use washers.
Oil filter wrench. (is there only one kind fits all?)
Socket set. (is this for the bolt to drain the oil?)
Oil drain pan.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Crush rings for the oil plug. Don't use washers. Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil. Mobil 1 oil filter. Oil filter wrench. Socket set. Oil drain pan.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
Crush rings for the oil plug. Don't use washers. Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil. Mobil 1 oil filter. Oil filter wrench. Socket set. Oil drain pan.
updated the original post, would you please check?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM

You should also buy ramps. I was lucky and was able to get a nice set of plastic ramps for $10 when Trak Auto went out of business. M1-108, M1-110 or M1-105, Amsoil SDF-13 or SDF-20 oil filter. If you want a 1 stop shop for the oil and oil filter, get them from either iwannabmw or talkinghorse. They both sell at dealer cost and have wonderful customer service. I usually receive my oil in 1-2 days after ordering.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:48 AM

I was lucky on the crush rings. Local oil change place gave me 20 of them for free. I would imagine any auto parts store would have them.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 AM

i have an 02 I35, I asked them people at walmart for crush rings, and they have no idea what i'm talking about. So then i asked them for some washers, they still don't know which washer is for my car. Is there any place i can get the crush rings online?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 AM

Go to a mom and pop or small auto parts store. Do you have any oil change places near you?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:31 PM

I went to autozone, walmart but they say they don't have it. wtf? I can understand walmart auto crap doesn't have it but AUTOZONE? ...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM

You can always go to the Nissan or Infinity car dealer's service dept.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What exactly is a crush ring? I have never done an oil change on my 5th gen... and for the 4th gen I don't remember doing anything with crush rings.. is there a step by step anywhere on the org to know how to do a CORRECT oil change... thanks!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:06 AM

A crush ring is basically a hollow washer. As you tighten the oil drain plug, it crushes it down into a washer. While not always the case, it generally provides a better seal than a washer does. There really is nothing to an oil change. Make sure you run the car for a few minutes to heat the oil up just a tad, so it comes out easier. Jack it up or better yet, pull it up on ramps. Pop your hood, unscrew where you pour the oil in and put it to the side. Start to unscrew the oil filter a tad just to make sure you are able to get it off. Place your Oil collection pan underneath the oil drain plug. Unscrew the oil drain plug and let as much oil come out as possible. Clean the oil drain bolt with a cloth or paper towel. Put a crush ring on the oil drain bolt and screw it back on. Place the oil drain pan underneath the oil filter, unscrew the oil filter slowly and let as much drain out as possible before taking it off. Clean around where the filter comes off to include the screw portion. Rub the new oil filters rubber ring with new oil. (this helps to create a good seal) Put the new oil filter on, tighten it hand tight and then loosen back 3/4. Basically don't tighten as much as you can. Pour 4.25 - 4.5 quarts of oil in.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 AM

What Virus said, but add only 4-4.25 qts. On my 01, 4.25 qts brings the level to the high line on the dipstick. You can alsways top it off later.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by csnv
Hi guys, I'm going to do the first oil change myself after I've found this forum. I was looking for instructions to do the oil change and what I need to buy for it but i couldn't find any good post.

I have(on my list to buy) *updated*
Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil.
Mobil 1 oil filter. (i will be using the OEM one, M1-105 - couldn't find it)
Crush rings for the oil plug. (can someone give me a link to what it is? sold?)
Don't use washers.
Oil filter wrench. (is there only one kind fits all?)
Socket set. (is this for the bolt to drain the oil?)
Oil drain pan.
Thanks!
As I read your note, you are looking for the steps to follow during an oil change. (If you've read other threads on the Lubes section of this site, you will know that you should not use synthetic motor oil until you have some miles on your Maxima -- I recommend at least 10K and Nissan is saying 20K). Another post on this thread suggests using ramps to raise the front of your Max. I worry about falling off of these and prefer to jack up the front. You should also drain your oil when it is hot (and stirred up from driving) to remove more of the heavier fractions that tend to stay in the bottom of your oil pan when the oil is cold.

Here is how I do my oil changes on my Max.

- Park on a level surface (I do mine in my garage).
- Jack up the front of the Max about a foot.
- Place a jack stand under the car for safety.
- Place a sheet of cardboard under the engine to catch any oil that misses the catch pan (it happens).
- Crawl under and loosen (about 1/4 turn) the drain bolt with your wrench.
- Use a paper towel to remove the bolt with your fingers. The paper towel will insulate your fingers from the hot bolt.
- Drain the old motor oil into a drain pan.
- When the flow of old oil turns to drips, finger tighten the bolt back into the engine's oil pan.
- Move the drain pan under the oil filter.
- Here I lower my Max to level because I can more easily remove the filter from the right side of the car. You can skip this step and leave the Maxima jacked up the whole time.
- In my 2004, the oil filter is just inside the right front wheel well. The easiest way to get to it is to turn the front wheels sharply to the right and push back the wheel well cover to expose the filter.
- Use a filter wrench (or very large channel locks) to remove the old filter (the channel locks will damage the filter housing, but you will throw it away anyhow).
- When you loosen the filter about 1/4 turn, oil will start to flow out of the filter where it touches the filter housing.
- Turn the filter about one full turn and wait for most of the oil to drain.
- Remove the old filter from the filter housing.
- Place a light layer of old motor oil on the O-Ring in the new filter before hand tightening the new filter on the filter housing.
- You only want to hand tighten the new filter -- as tight as you can get it by hand.
- Jack up the front of your Max again and move the drain pan under the drain bolt in the engine's oil pan.
- Remove the hand tightened drain bolt and allow the oil that has collected while you change the filter to drain into the drain pan.
- When the flow again goes to drips, it's time to put the bolt back into the engine's oil pan.
- Remove the old crush washer from the drain bolt and replace it with a new crush washer.
- The wider hole in the crush washer should be placed against the oil pan and the narrower hole against the bolt head.
(My dealer gives me free washers when I buy 15208-9E000 filters, and a 10% discount when I buy 3 filters at a time.)
- Tighten the drain bolt to crush the new washer and tighten to about 25 ft-lbs -- do not over tighten this bolt.
- Remove the oil drain pan and the cardboard catch sheet and lower you Max.

You are done.