Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

ATF change question not asked before

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:54 PM
jjj

ATF change question not asked before

its my 1st full atf change incl dropping pan on my 02 max.
i read the thread giving info--the one the guy talks about have a few beers and enjoy your more responsive tranny and his wife being pissed at him.

anyway if i switch to mobil 1 synthetic, when i remove the return hose and drain then fill a few quarts at a time wont it be bad cause im actually mixing some of the fluid still in the system with the new synthetic or does it not matter??? i thought your not supposed to mix synthetic and dino.

also wheres the best place to buy mobil 1 syn atf online.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:43 PM

It is almost impossible to get all of the old auto-trannie fluid out. So mixing is OK. For best results, you want as much of the old stuff out as possible. Check the stickies for how best to do this. You might also want to consider Amsoil Synthetic ATF fluid. Talkinghorse sells it on this site at a discount. Check it out.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM

I appologize for the long post, but I hope it helps.
I did this on my 03 max a few months ago. Sorry I didn't take any pic's. I remember the post that you are refering to; I used it's info and referenced another site that had a couple of pic's as well. I think the best at flushing most of the old fluid out is on the machine, but what it cost for syn fluid a quart, and the fact that it takes 4-6 more quarts on the machine than if you DIY, the machine flush isn't worth it. To get just about as good a flush as a machine you'd need a large container to hold 12 or more quarts of fluid, some way to measure the amount of fluid drained into the container and someone else to help you to pour in fluid as it was draining out. I don't think you mix much by the drain 3-4 quarts and replace it with new, then repeat 3-4 times. I think there is alot of fluid in the system, I'd venture to say as much as 60% of the fluid is in the system and only 40% in the pan. When you pour a couple of quarts in the dip-stick it fills into the pan. If you already drained the pan, all the old fluid is in the rest of the system, so as you continue to flush and refill new fluid forces all the old out the return line. Sure there may be some mixing of old and new as it goes through the cooler and lines,but it isn't much. My flush took 11-12 quarts. I think I was at a little over 10 quarts of new fluid in when I noticed the fluid color change to the new red stuff on the return line(where it was draining from). I just went ahead and put another quart in to be sure.
Mixing Syn and dino doesn't matter and some old stuff still in the tranny isn't going to really matter since it is virtually impossible to get all the old out. I got my M1 at Autozone since I think it was $4.99 a quart. It was readily avaliable and cheaper than most places, even online(with shipping charges, etc.). If you are dead set on getting M1 online check out http://www.myoilshop.com . They had really good prices when I was looking around.

Some advice. Things I'd get/do:
1. New pan gasket - I had to scrape the old one off in pieces (dealer is the only one that carries it and it isn't that expensive)
2. Brake cleaner and some gas to clean the screen and pan - Brake cleaner works ok, but my pan had sludge in it that wiped up with some gas soaked rags.
3. I believe it is a 10mm nut in with Metric fine thread - luckily I had one laying around. There is one (of like 30 bolts on the pan and 10 that hold the screen inside) that is reversed(you can't get to the head, only the end with the nut). It would just keep turning and not let the nut break from the threads. If you put the other nut on, you can get the origional one to break free using two wrenches(one on each nut, with the bottom one[one you put on] being tightened while you losen the other. It comes off by hand after it is broke free. I did the same in reverse to tighten it back on.
4. I used empty milk jugs to collect the old fluid. They work, but only hold around 3 quarts. It is time consuming, but at least you know you aren't draining too much fluid out at once.
5. I did it in my garage. If you have axcess to a lift it would facilitate getting under the car which comes into play as you have to semi quickly turn on car-fill jug-sut off car-remove jug of old fluid-refill dip stick with new and repeat.

-Jesse
Old 10-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Thank God for manual transmissions!
Old 10-08-2005, 05:18 PM

We agree on one thing -- manual trannies.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
We agree on one thing -- manual trannies.

I just like to keep you on your toes, SilverMax_04! You could run water in your gas tank if you like.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:33 AM

for the manual tranny. It's primarily my wife's car so I had to appease her . SilverMax_04 it is always nice to see another max from Colo. Springs on the ORG.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:09 AM
jjj

Jessefrank, thank you verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy much for your responce.
you answered exactly the question i asked and then some. i appreciate it!!!
now im excited to go change the atf.
THANKS
Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jessefrank
It's primarily my wife's car so I had to appease her . SilverMax_04 it is always nice to see another max from Colo. Springs on the ORG.
My previous car was "my wife's car" -- an Olds Intrigue. I was to get a Dodge pickup truck with manual trannie and my wife wanted an automatic trannie for her car. So I reluctantly agreed. Well the auto trannie in her car gave us problems on and off. Just after buying that car (98) we both retired and it ended up I was doing 90% of the driving in that car and 100% of it in the truck. We were stuck in central Missouri for 3 days while GM fiddled about what they were going to do about fixing the trannie. We eventually got a factory rebuilt trannie for the bad one in the car. So when the Olds was totaled the next year, I insisted that the next car we bought would have a manual trannie. (My wife can drive manual but does not want to make the effort). We got the Max and have never regretted this decision. And it is worth repeating -- a manual trannie is all about control -- control of the gearing and what it is doing versus what the car is going through at the time. I know to leave the trannie in gear longer because of the situation -- an auto trannie knows nothing about the situation other than the car and engine speed.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When changing the ATF fluid on an '02 is there a filter which needs to be changed. The man at the parts store said I need to drop the valve body to access the filter. Is this true and is it difficult to do.

Ray
Old 10-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

from my many times reading about transmission "filters", everyone says that they are screens, which can be washed(with brake cleaner?) and reused.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, does anyone know whether I should put Dexron II or Dexron III ATF into my 95 Maxima? I have been searching everywhere for this info with no luck. Thanks in advance.