Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Smoke...

OK ive been experiencing a problem with my max. Just some history i am the second owner and bought the car a couple years of years ago with about 62,000 miles i am now at 124,000 car runs beautifully and ive always changed all the fluids on time oil at 3000 all the time...Ive noticed recently and this only happens on start up in the morning or if the cars been sitting for a couple of hours never while driving a puff of white bluish smoke comes out the exhaust pipe.... i cant think of what this may be ive asked a buddy at work and he says maybe valve seals or the the passage way from the head is blocked???? Any ideas ....bringing the car into the dealer is a last resort for me....
Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 AM

That could be several things. It is a classic symptom of worn valve guides/seals. While the engine is at rest, some oil dribbles past the worn seal down into the combustion chamber, and burns off quickly after startup, generating the puff of oil smoke. This is a signature issue on a couple Toyota and Ford engines, but can happen to any engine under the right circumstances. Some Toyota owners have reported that stepping up a viscosity grade has reduced or eliminated the problem (my wife drives a Sequoia, so I still prowl around some of the Toyota boards). You might also try one of the so-called high-mileage oils. They contain additives intended condition seals more aggressively than regular oils. If it were me, I'd try a HM oil of the same grade you're presently using, and giving it some time to see if it helps. If not, then I'd try a heavier viscosity HM product. You've got a few options before submitting to the predators at your dealership. Good luck with it.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM

I have been using castrol gtx high mileage since i hit 100,000 so maybe it is time to bring it into the stealership im just wondering if this is something i can do on my own?? I know the stealership will probably charge an arm and a leg !!! sometimes its just a little puff sometimes a cloud and then sometimes none at all ....
Old 05-13-2006, 04:27 PM

I've seen this many times, usually the result of a previous owners who did not really change the oil like recommended or a hard driver and the car was never properly warmed up, problems that only show up in higher mileage
Old 05-14-2006, 10:08 AM

any suggestions on what i should do i changed my oil to full synthetic last weekend... the car still smokes in the morning but after work or any other time during the day it does not.... sometimes its still like a little puff other times its more....btw the car runs great still but im worried about the smoking suggestions plz....