Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 09:40 AM

Okay, i did the search for this topic already before the "post ******" flame me for a topic im sure has been floating around. Anyway, a local shop started carrying this stuff and cant keep it in stock so many people are buying it. There really hasnt been that much int he way of commentary on this product here on the site (that i could find), so now im asking if anyone here sees this as worth the $5 per quart or if I should just stick to Mobil 1.

thanx
Old 07-16-2001, 10:15 AM
Got Bent?

I have heard that the stuff is really good. But I don't know if it is worth the extra $$$ over the Mobil1 to warrant using it regularly.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did some research on it at my local performance shop and their website and found out that it is actually NOT a fully synthetic oil. It's a synthetic blend so it won't offer the same true long term benefits of Mobil One, which costs a bit less by the way.
My $.02 worth....
Old 07-16-2001, 10:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have never seen any good technical data on this maker's oil. I have seen tests on Amsoil, Redline, Mobil 1 etcc. So those are the brands I judge my choices on. Not from the sales. Hell most buyers just buy on marketing and not facts. So again, don't judge on what the sales are doing. Slick 50 sold pretty well right? And that stuff was crap!

It's probably a very good product, but I don't have any data to form an opinion on. So it stays out of my car until I do.

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Okay, i did the search for this topic already before the "post ******" flame me for a topic im sure has been floating around. Anyway, a local shop started carrying this stuff and cant keep it in stock so many people are buying it. There really hasnt been that much int he way of commentary on this product here on the site (that i could find), so now im asking if anyone here sees this as worth the $5 per quart or if I should just stick to Mobil 1.

thanx
Old 07-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've been using it regularly in my car and my wife's car for some time now. I was able to pick up several cases through Carparts.com for under $4.00 a quart shipped. So far, I'm more than satisfied with the results.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

What do you mean you are satisfied w/ the results? Did you get the old and new Royal Purple lab tested? Or does the car just run smoother in your opinion? A car can be made to run a bit smoother by using lighter weight oil IMHO, but it necessarliy mean it's lubricating better, protecting better or performing better in any way.

Originally posted by y2kse
I've been using it regularly in my car and my wife's car for some time now. I was able to pick up several cases through Carparts.com for under $4.00 a quart shipped. So far, I'm more than satisfied with the results.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What do you mean you are satisfied w/ the results? Did you get the old and new Royal Purple lab tested? Or does the car just run smoother in your opinion? A car can be made to run a bit smoother by using lighter weight oil IMHO, but it necessarliy mean it's lubricating better, protecting better or performing better in any way.

Nah. I'm not going to worry about getting it tested and I'm not going to lose any sleep at night running it. My mechanic recommended it and that's good enough for me.

On the other hand, if you EVER hear of ANYONE who has experienced an oil-related problem or failure using Royal Purple lubricants, don't hesitate to let me know. And if my engine or my wife's engine blows up, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:35 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

thanx
Like Jeff, I'm wary of Royal Purple because of a lack of information from a lab test point of view.....I have yet to find good info about this on the 'net anywhere.

From my research, Amsoil and Mobile 1 are the most consistent lab test performers. Redline doesn't seem to "test quite as well" as these two for all visocity possibilities. That is why I don't ever hesitate to recommend Amsoil or Mobile 1......

Member "kaleb" is the only one I know of who has used Royal Purple enough to be able to comment as to its performance. You may want to PM him for more details. I have no doubt that it's a good product, but I haven't seen it in many lab tests.......

I would stay with Mobile 1, especially with Wally World's 5-qt container for $18....you can't beat that.....
Old 07-16-2001, 11:55 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Like Jeff, I'm wary of Royal Purple because of a lack of information from a lab test point of view.....I have yet to find good info about this on the 'net anywhere.

From my research, Amsoil and Mobile 1 are the most consistent lab test performers. Redline doesn't seem to "test quite as well" as these two for all visocity possibilities. That is why I don't ever hesitate to recommend Amsoil or Mobile 1......

Member "kaleb" is the only one I know of who has used Royal Purple enough to be able to comment as to its performance. You may want to PM him for more details. I have no doubt that it's a good product, but I haven't seen it in many lab tests.......

I would stay with Mobile 1, especially with Wally World's 5-qt container for $18....you can't beat that.....
<trying to be Evil Bill>
blah blah blah blah....

Take your garbage opinions back to the General and 3rd gen forums
</trying to be Evil Bill>

So was that evil enough?
Old 07-16-2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

<trying to be Evil Bill>
blah blah blah blah....

Take your garbage opinions back to the General and 3rd gen forums
</trying to be Evil Bill>

So was that evil enough?
[unnecessary cheap shot]
Not bad.......you just need to be in a REAL Maxima instead of a 5th gen.....
[/unnecessary cheap shot]
Old 07-16-2001, 12:20 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

[unnecessary cheap shot]
Not bad.......you just need to be in a REAL Maxima instead of a 5th gen.....
[/unnecessary cheap shot]
*Puts bullseye on Bill*
Old 07-16-2001, 01:50 PM

Jeesh Kev. Noticed that the 3rd and 4th gen guys have been hanging out here lately? I guess this is where the good threads are and belong.

About Royal Purple... Does it have API certification?
Old 07-16-2001, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Jeesh Kev. Noticed that the 3rd and 4th gen guys have been hanging out here lately? I guess this is where the good threads are and belong.

About Royal Purple... Does it have API certification?
Here is Royal Purple's so-called "technical" info:

http://www.synerlec.com/technical.html

This makes me more skeptical than ever, as their little bar graphs don't really state what they are measuring, just that Royal Purple is better.....

I couldn't find API certification anywhere, but my bet is that's true.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:20 PM

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a tech at Royal Purple. I'm not enough of an engineer to recite everything he told me. But I heard enough to allay any concerns I might have regarding the quality of their products. I also learned some interesting things about what the term "synthetic" means, the procedures and equipment companies use to test their lubricants, and the composition of additives used in various motor oils. But I have neither the time nor the inclination to go into all that here.

BTW, Royal Purple is API certified.

On another subject, here's something you mind find interesting:

"Racing Beat has been recommending the use of synthetic oils in rotary applications for several years. Our research has found that synthetic oils provide superior friction reducing between sliding surfaces, reduced foaming, and lower oil temperatures. We have tested several different synthetic oils and have found that while most offered improved wear and lower oil temperatures, none offered any horsepower gains... except for Royal Purple!

Our in-house testing has yielded up to a 2% performance increase after changing from mineral-based oil to Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil. How could this be? Jim Mederer, co-founder and chief engineer at Racing Beat, was truly puzzled. With over 35 years of professional racing experience under his belt, he has seen and tried just about every “new” lubricant that hits the market. All offered better wear and lower oil temperatures but none offered any horsepower improvement. After spending time consulting with the engineers at Royal Purple to better understand the reason for the horsepower gain, it was explained that the secret was the proprietary ingredient “Synerlec”. This Synerlec ingredient provides an ultra-slick film on internal engine components to significantly reduce power-robbing friction. Less friction equals more power!

Other professional engine builders have confirmed that Royal Purple Synthetic Racing Oil delivers measurable horsepower gains. Independent dyno tests show increases up to 5% (on smaller displacement engines) with nothing more than an oil change."

Source: http://www.racingbeat.com/FRmazda1.htm
Old 07-16-2001, 02:29 PM

Thanks for looking into this. Crank and Chrome is big on Royal Purple. They put it into their last engine build-up. Then again, they are a sponsor.

I like your approach Y2KSE. You talk to people, rather than relying on their lame websites.

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a tech at Royal Purple. I'm not enough of an engineer to recite everything he told me. But I heard enough to allay any concerns I might have regarding the quality of their products. I also learned some interesting things about the procedures and equipment other companies use to test their lubricants and the composition of additives used in various motor oils. But I have neither the time nor the inclination to go into that here.

Old 07-16-2001, 02:38 PM

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a tech at Royal Purple. I'm not enough of an engineer to recite everything he told me. But I heard enough to allay any concerns I might have regarding the quality of their products. I also learned some interesting things about the procedures and equipment other companies use to test their lubricants and the composition of additives used in various motor oils. But I have neither the time nor the inclination to go into that here.

On another subject, here's something you mind find interesting:

"Racing Beat has been recommending the use of synthetic oils in rotary applications for several years. Our research has found that synthetic oils provide superior friction reducing between sliding surfaces, reduced foaming, and lower oil temperatures. We have tested several different synthetic oils and have found that while most offered improved wear and lower oil temperatures, none offered any horsepower gains... except for Royal Purple!

Our in-house testing has yielded up to a 2% performance increase after changing from mineral-based oil to Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil. How could this be? Jim Mederer, co-founder and chief engineer at Racing Beat, was truly puzzled. With over 35 years of professional racing experience under his belt, he has seen and tried just about every “new” lubricant that hits the market. All offered better wear and lower oil temperatures but none offered any horsepower improvement. After spending time consulting with the engineers at Royal Purple to better understand the reason for the horsepower gain, it was explained that the secret was the proprietary ingredient “Synerlec”. This Synerlec ingredient provides an ultra-slick film on internal engine components to significantly reduce power-robbing friction. Less friction equals more power!

Other professional engine builders have confirmed that Royal Purple Synthetic Racing Oil delivers measurable horsepower gains. Independent dyno tests show increases up to 5% (on smaller displacement engines) with nothing more than an oil change."

Source: http://www.racingbeat.com/FRmazda1.htm
http://www.knowyouroil.com/dyno.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Ra.../oil_test.html

From a marketing standpoint, Royal Purple seems to tout the 1-2 hp dyno gains, while Amsoil/Redline/Mobile 1 stress engine lubrication/protection. I would rather put my money where the companies are more focused on engine protection than getting another pony out of a passenger car......
Old 07-16-2001, 03:50 PM

http://www.knowyouroil.com/dyno.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Ra.../oil_test.html

From a marketing standpoint, Royal Purple seems to tout the 1-2 hp dyno gains, while Amsoil/Redline/Mobile 1 stress engine lubrication/protection. I would rather put my money where the companies are more focused on engine protection than getting another pony out of a passenger car......
Thanks for the info, Bill. I'll pass it along to Royal Purple for their reaction.

My guess is that one brand of premium quality synthetic motor oil is just about as good as the next. And if I can get a few more horsepower by using one premium brand over another, so much the better. BTW, what quality could Royal Purple motor oil possess that would allow it to consistently increase horsepower following an oil change from another brand of motor oil? Do you suppose it has something to do with Royal Purple's lubrication/protection capabilities? Or would you tend to ascribe it the color of the oil?

Oh. You'll be pleased to learn that I've experienced no smoke or nauseous smells emanating from my engine or my wife's engine since we began using Royal Purple motor oil.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:33 AM

My guess is that one brand of premium quality synthetic motor oil is just about as good as the next.

And I think you're right, I just haven't seen a lot of testing with Royal Purple. It is on my recommended list, but I don't use it....

And if I can get a few more horsepower by using one premium brand over another, so much the better. BTW, what quality could Royal Purple motor oil possess that would allow it to consistently increase horsepower following an oil change from another brand of motor oil?

That's sort of a deep question that gets into dynamics that I am relatively ignorant of. ULX-110, which is the only dino oil I recommend for extended interval use (as pointed out in the oil spreadsheet) makes similar power increase dyno claims. And they look to be true.

Do you suppose it has something to do with Royal Purple's lubrication/protection capabilities?

Yes it has to do with their specific additive package. I theorize all synthetics benefit hp to a small degree. Royal Purple chooses to advertise that, while the others don't. It's probably a marketing thing, although I think Royal Purple should have better testing on their own website of its protection and resistance to oxidation....

Or would you tend to ascribe it the color of the oil?

The color is sweet.....

Oh. You'll be pleased to learn that I've experienced no smoke or nauseous smells emanating from my engine or my wife's engine since we began using Royal Purple motor oil.
Seriously, I would like for you to get that oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs the next time you change it and post the results for use in the spreadsheet as I would like to know the specific additive package differences between Royal Purple, Mobile 1, and Amsoil......
Old 07-17-2001, 09:22 AM

Seriously, I would like for you to get that oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs the next time you change it and post the results for use in the spreadsheet as I would like to know the specific additive package differences between Royal Purple, Mobile 1, and Amsoil...... [/B]
That's a simple enough request, Bill. I ordered my oil sample kit from Blackstone Labs today. But I had the oil changed recently in both my car and my wife's car. So it may be a little while before I get back to you with the results.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:27 AM

That's a simple enough request, Bill. I ordered my oil sample kit from Blackstone Labs today. But I had the oil changed recently in both my car and my wife's car. So it may be a little while before I get back to you with the results.
How long are you going between change intervals? From their website, Royal Purple suggests 10 to 12k and a filter change in between......