Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.
View Poll Results: Should I use a fuel injector cleaner for my Maxima?
Yes
77.55%
No
22.45%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Anyone tried the prestone complete fuel system treatment? (concentrated injector cleaner)?

http://www.prestone.com/products/fuelAdditives.php

I poured that into my gas tank so ill keep you posted. It's not explicitly written safe for use w o2 sensors and cat converters, but coming from prestone, advertising lastest technology etc, I doubt there would be a problem...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM

IM SOOOO CONFUSED NOW. i think we should due a TOP 3 and go from there. just my opinion. but who cares what i think.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Horizontally opposed.

I've used the lucas fuel injector cleaner on two cars(3rd gen VG and 4th gen VQ) Both had injectors start to crap out less than 5k later. I'm gonna say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Nissan says don't use any, don't use any.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just a quick note......i used gummout that treats 21 gallons.....followed mfr instructions....car ran fine for 2 days then it felt like i was running on 4 cylinders......loss of power but never stalled. took is to my mechanic....pulled a few plugs and it really smelled foul. he said to run the car to empty the tank and then fill it up......its running fine now........DID I USE THE WRONG STUFF? or is this cleaner a bunch of crap?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM

If you remember, I recommended Chevron's Techron.

There are a few different Gumout products, some are only good for carburators. Don't know which one you used.

I would stick to Techron. It is a known performer. I am using it now in my Max just before the next oil change.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So when is it recommended to use fuel injector cleaner? And where can FP60 be purchased?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Will try to clear up some other points that are being missed.
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Way to highlight an important point: By and large, these additives are band-aids that really should only be used to correct a problem. Trying to use them preventively is hit-or-miss and may not be worth it..
If they are "band-aids," then why do all major oil companies put fuel injector cleaners in their gasolines. Answer: Federal law requires a minimum dose in all highway gasolines. So all gasoline has some cleaner in it, but history has proven that the legal requirement is not enough to keep most fuel systems clean during normal driving. When I was still working for an oil company in the 1990s, gasoline prices were so low that many companies cut back on their fuel injector cleaner additives to only meet the Federal minimum. The company I worked for (not Chevron) bought Techron from Chevron and added it to all grades of their gasoline. The premium got a higher dose than the regular (back then). Don't know exactly what is happening in today's gasolines. So some of what I say below is speculation on my part.

I know that Chevron puts Techron to all grades of its gasoline. It is likely that the concentration is stronger in Chevron premium than in the regular. But the answer is that the concentration of Techron in their premium is not as strong as you will get if you put the correct size bottle of Techron in your tank (read the directions). It is likely that Chevron is putting a "keep clean" dose of Techron in their gasoline. When you add a bottle to your tank, you want a "clean-up" dose -- which is what you will get if you follow the directions.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The base gasolines are usually the same, yes. But there are still differences among brands because each company can add its own additive package at the dock.
This is correct. In most markets the only difference between different brands of gasoline is the additive package -- which includes fuel injector cleaner and other additives. Generally the major brands (Chevron, Exxon, BP, Shell, etc) have a better package than the off-brands and grocery store brands.

So if you consistently use only major brands of gasoline, it is quite likely that you don't need to use a fuel injector cleaner. If you burn any other gasoline, like I do, then you should be safe and do a clean-up of the system every so often. The procedure I follow is to put in the correct dose of Techron in a full tank of gasoline about 500 miles before I plan to do an oil change. I then run that tank down until the gas warning light comes on and then fill the tank again. I do this (just before an oil change) because there were reports that these cleaners had the tendency to increase motor oil viscosity. While this was never (to my knowledge) scientifically proven, I don't want to take any chances. Because I change motor oil about every 10K miles, this is the frequency for my fuel-system clean-up.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 10-11-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Good info thanks
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Would it be recommended to suck the cleaner through the booster hose just like SeaFoam?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:06 PM

The theory of fuel system cleaners like Techron is to get the proper blend of cleaner and gasoline into a blend and have this blend clean your system. It is not appropriate to have a near full strength Techron (without any gasoline) see any part of your fuel system.