Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

recent price of fluids (tune-up)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM

recent price of fluids (tune-up)

I just thought I'd do a mini-write up for prices on doing a tune-up here in Los Angeles, CA

__________________________________________________ _______________
waddap i learned some basic maintenance techniques from a fellow socal orger saturday

• part 1 (4/9/09) grand total for fluids/parts $119.78
  1. clean throttle body with brake cleaner n toofbrush (my engine bay was butt nasty - i kept hearing ZOMG this is duuuuurty!!! i immediately start grabbing rags and wiping stuff down from embarrassment lol)
  2. replace pcv valve ($4.49 at da zone)- stealership was out of stock so we bought a cheapy from autozone, fit snuggly in there and my old one didn't even jiggle so good call on replacing that
  3. SEAFOAM ($8.99 at autozone) this was fun, after sucking it up in the brake booster line then taking out the key to turn off the engine it actually ran for a few seconds *laff*. then let it soak in for about 5 minutes and drove around and blasted walls of smoke throughout the neighborhood
  4. drain and fill prestone 50/50 coolant ($8.00 a gallon at Wal-Mart) and
  5. ATF fluid drain and fill (mobil 1 syn ATF $7.99 per quart x 4 qts = $35 at Autozone, wal-mart dont have it no more) I could still see a reddish tinge to the old fluid, but it was sorta dark. The fresh fluid looked like cherry koolaid mmm no drinky drinky ok?
  • part 2 (next saturday 4/16/09)
  1. replace spark plugs with NGK plats - (went to the stealership and got lucky the counter guy only charged us for 1 plug by mistake for $13.76 but we got all SIX!!!- stock fuel filter was $18.85 and stock oil filter was $9.49, grand total $45.99)
  2. change oil (was recommended to drive about 500 miles after seafoaming before changing this stuff) gonna use Valvoline only $10.17 for a big container.
  3. fuel filter looks pretty hard i might have to get someone else to do it
MAD PROPS AND THANKS TO THE FIREBAT OF THE SOCAL ORGERS!!!
__________________________________________________ ____________
Trying to make this daily driver last as long as possible in its bone stock form.

I was thinking about changing the y-pipe for better fuel efficiency but worried about the o2 sensors n stuff since its a '99. I also need tint badly, I will get that done as well.

then i will start looking for solutions for the creaking noise on my right front passenger side -

I replaced an axel because of a torn boot,

did a wheel alignment because the car kept pulling to the right,

but pulling to the right even more now I am getting a creaking noise at the at the right passenger door side when i step on the gas and it lasts for a while,

when i got out of the car i heard like a high pitched ting ting ting noise near the wheel,

worried that i need to replace the strut