Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil Changing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 11:52 AM

Oil Changing question

My oil filter wrench turned out to be too small to fit on the Nissan oil filter, so I put clean oil back into the engine. My question is, do you have to drain the oil in order to change the filter? Or when I get the right size wrench can I just unscrew the filter and put on the new one?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by Matticus
My oil filter wrench turned out to be too small to fit on the Nissan oil filter, so I put clean oil back into the engine. My question is, do you have to drain the oil in order to change the filter? Or when I get the right size wrench can I just unscrew the filter and put on the new one?

Thanks.
You can change the filter without changing the oil. You will lose the same amount that the filter can hold, so you'll end up being 1/2 quart low. If the wrench doesn't fit, you can use an old belt (for pants) and wrap it around the filter in a way that when you pull on it, it will twist the filter the right way. This is kind of hard to explain without a picture, but if you look at the filter you can probably figure it out.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by iwannabmw

You can change the filter without changing the oil. You will lose the same amount that the filter can hold, so you'll end up being 1/2 quart low. If the wrench doesn't fit, you can use an old belt (for pants) and wrap it around the filter in a way that when you pull on it, it will twist the filter the right way. This is kind of hard to explain without a picture, but if you look at the filter you can probably figure it out.
Cool, thankz for the answer and the idea.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Wait a sec...you talking about unscrewing the filter without draining the oil? Yes, you can re-use the filter (ie change just the oil...not good, but okay if a must)....but you absolutely cannot cannot change the filter in isolation without loosing ALL of your undrained oil.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:36 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by slider71
Wait a sec...you talking about unscrewing the filter without draining the oil? Yes, you can re-use the filter (ie change just the oil...not good, but okay if a must)....but you absolutely cannot cannot change the filter in isolation without loosing ALL of your undrained oil.

I disagree.. you will lose some but not ALL. There might be some confusion, he is talking about taking off the filter and then putting a new one on.

I do not think he would lose more than a quart.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by bags533

I disagree.. you will lose some but not ALL. There might be some confusion, he is talking about taking off the filter and then putting a new one on.

nice sig, what is that a f16?
Old 02-10-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by bags533

Most engines have the filter near the bottom. Remove that and it's like taking the drain plug out. It'll be a nasty mess. I'd wait on the filter untill next time around.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:20 AM

Yes, the filter is near the bottom, but it is above the oil pan by a little. After the engine has been off for a little while and the oil has all drained down to the pan, the only oil you will lose is what comes out with the filter.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by punkdork

Most engines have the filter near the bottom. Remove that and it's like taking the drain plug out. It'll be a nasty mess. I'd wait on the filter untill next time around.
The filter is on the block, the oil is in the pan, the pan is below the block.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Changing question

Originally posted by punkdork

Just changed mine for the 3rd time (16K miles) this past weekend...I always remove the oil filter first to clean off that area and replace the filter then remove the drain plug. You definitely only lose what's in the filter and no more...its higher than the standing oil in the pan assuming you let it sit a minute or two for gravity to do its thing.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:34 AM

Several years ago when I first went to synthetic oil in my 91 Max, an auto tech recommended that the oil be changed about once a year, but to change the filter about every 3000 - 4000 miles. I did this and only lost the oil that was in the filter (app 1/2 to 1 quart)when I changed the filter. Then I topped off the oil. I don't think you will lose all of your oil. IMO
Old 02-12-2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by 2k1seae
Several years ago when I first went to synthetic oil in my 91 Max, an auto tech recommended that the oil be changed about once a year, but to change the filter about every 3000 - 4000 miles. I did this and only lost the oil that was in the filter (app 1/2 to 1 quart)when I changed the filter. Then I topped off the oil. I don't think you will lose all of your oil. IMO
Yep, the filters are the weak link in using synthetic oils
Old 02-12-2002, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Change filter...but not the oil?!?!

Interesting idea! But it makes perfect sense, since syn oil lasts longer than dyno oil. Not to mention it's resistance to temperature and moisture...the two biggest contributors to dyno oil breakdown. As long as you have a good quality CLEAN oil filter on your Max, I can see that syn oil would last safely through the lifespans of two oil filters

What filter does everybody use? I have Mobil 1 and a FRAM (yuck) filter on my 2k1, but JUST because that's the only filter available for my Max at the store at that time. Any recommended filters?
Old 02-12-2002, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Change filter...but not the oil?!?!

Originally posted by zeitgeist57
Interesting idea! But it makes perfect sense, since syn oil lasts longer than dyno oil. Not to mention it's resistance to temperature and moisture...the two biggest contributors to dyno oil breakdown. As long as you have a good quality CLEAN oil filter on your Max, I can see that syn oil would last safely through the lifespans of two oil filters

What filter does everybody use? I have Mobil 1 and a FRAM (yuck) filter on my 2k1, but JUST because that's the only filter available for my Max at the store at that time. Any recommended filters?
I use Amsoil currently but Mobil One's synthetic fiber version is just as good and available locally in auto parts stores... I plan to go 5 to 6K per filter change and change the oil every 2nd filter change until I get some oil analysis data supporting anything different on my vehicle...Unfortunately in my haste this weekend I forgot to bring out the Blackstone vial when I did my change.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:54 PM
ceazer458

Oil changing question

You will lose about a 1/2 a quart I agree. I have been changing my oil for over 6 yrs you won't have a problem. The belt idea works!!!!!