Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Anyone has a Tig/Arc/Plasma cutter station...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Anyone has a Tig/Arc/Plasma cutter station...

Hey guys, I didn't wanted to post this in my N/A thread, even though it is related to my project, I though it might be more appropriate to post here.

Basically I have been shopping for a while to purchase a Tig/Arc/Plasma cutter a 3 in 1 type of welding station. I know company like Miller & Lincoln make very good welding products but it is about 2 to 4 time more pricey, than what my budget allow me, perhaps their products are more aimed at the professional welder. I want a good and reliable welder station for my needs. I have found 2 place that sell online at a very affordable price.

I'm a hobbyist and wont become a professional welder but I have been welding for well over 25 years, and I can make good welds. I have about a 1000$ cdn to spend, that would include taxes & shipping. I have found 2 online seller that sell what is to be a very nice station for hobbyist, I'm waiting for their response, but as soon as they reply I will report it back here cuz I think I am not the only one that need to weld once in a while but doesn't have the budget of a shop. I have seen 3 in 1 station in price that range from 399$ to 4000$ but the one I'm looking are selling around 700$ to 1000$

I know I will also need to buy an Argon bottle, a 20 lbs is around 200$ if I remember correctly. I'm also expecting to spend another let say 300$ for a mask and a small supply of rods to welds, ss, metal, metal sheet and possibly aluminum. If anyone is in a similar situation I'd like to hear about your story / experience*so we can share our own experience.

Last edited by doublea; 09-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know if a plasma cutter and welder in one box exists. I use a Thermadyne plasma cutter, I forget the model number but it goes to 55amps IIRC. Then an ESAB MIG/TIG, I forget the model number, its about 10 years old now, and have a small 110v Millermatic 135amp that I use for light metal working.

I would recommend buying used, you'll cut down on the costs of the bottle and other accessories. I'm kind of curious about these all in one units, for the price if they work well that would be a great setup for casual projects. I snagged the Miller used for $500 a month or two ago (was tired of switching out the spools on the ESAB and its nice to have a 110v you can lug around the house). The ESAB and Thermadyne were thousands each.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 AM
ef9

I have a Hobart AirForce 500i plasma cutter and love it! This one can cut 1/4" no problem.

I also have a Hobart Handler 187 MIG with Argon/CO2. This can weld up to 5/16" steel plate. Easily does 1/4" no problem.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Thanks for feedback, after reading and talking with many seller I have made my choice and this is what I'm going for: http://www.everlastwelders.ca/produc...ils.php?id=312

If you look at the spec, over all value is unbeatable and the price is in monopoly money
( meaning cdn $$$ ) Lol

The Plasma torch is very precise and make very nice cut, it can cut up to 3/4", I spoke with Duncan at Everlast, he was very kind and talk with me for a good 25-30 minutes on the phone, send me a quote shortly after with pics of stainless steel welds, which btw look very good. The foot pedal, aire regulator, argon regulator, tig torch, arc stick, and a good supply of what is required is in the price. They also sell the tungsten rod for the Plasma cutter but also all the consumable and accessory. It also come with a 3 year warranty, apparently this specific model is only sold in Canada. I also called Praxair for the Argon bottle & gas, the 55 cubic feet tank is 250$ cdn and every time you go for a refill they give you a bottle that was tested and refill, so basically you will never have to buy another bottle or replace it after 10 years. The 55 cf bottle is good for about 3-4 hours of continuous welding, refill is only 55$ cdn. All in all this is costing me about a 1000$ cdn to have everything I need, not bad. Oh the welder come with a 3 years warranty, if it break they replace the unit. One last thing I forgot to say, you need a compressor to feed the Plasma cutter and make sure to use a water separator in the compressor line otherwise the plasma cutter gun will be screwed in no time

I hope this could help others.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 AM
ef9

3/4" cut??? wow, how many inches per minute?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM

The maximum cut size is 5/8" but severance cut is 3/4". I didn't find the inch per minutes spec, but I will mostly work with 1/4" material or less, but I might occasionally need to cut thicker material, so this unit will serve me well.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share for others interested. I bought an Everlast SuperCut 50 plasma cutter for my home garage and am pretty pleased with it. It does not hold a candle to the Thermal Dynamics unit but it also cost about 1/3 as much. Although I would recommend for people to purchase a unit with a pilot arc if it is their only machine. It is not critical but it does make for more precise cuts.

Also the unit in the link above only does DC TIG, no AC TIG and no pulse feature which is really quite nice along with a host of other adjustments that are missing. It has not been mentioned in this thread yet but I would also be hesitant to get a MIG/TIG unit. While the multiprocess/all in one setups are a great value I find having individual machines to be much more effective because you aren't having to switch things all the time. That said if you are looking at the PowerTIG 250EX it is only ~$200 more to get a plasma cutter in the PowerPro256, you cannot beat that value, especially for the ratings it puts out. I think for the majority of the people who are reading this that would be the best route.

They are by no means Miller welders, which are far and away my favorite and preference, or Thermal Dynamics plasma cutters, but I realize most hobbyists aren't going to spend $12,000+ which is where the Everlast products do offer quite a nice value.

I should note my Everlast SuperCut 50 came with a NEMA 10-20P style plug that the user has to wire (but do not use it, 20 amps is not sufficient for the machine). I wired mine up to a NEMA 6-50P plug. Also the screws included for the water separator/drier do not match the threads in the machine and the separator/drier does not bolt up exactly right, I used some washers to space it out so it would clear the machines plastic housing). Kind of your typical Chinese product. Also the gun looked like it had been used, and is a joke compared to the ThermalDynamics but at least they give you spare consumables. I would recommend investing in a more substantial water separator/drier/regulator as the one that comes with the Everlast is a joke, between the leaks and the size, you'll thank yourself in the future.

cutting through a brake rotor (it could be cleaner, I was moving around a lot, a pilot arc would help too though)
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

hmm.. better than I thought it would do..
Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the comments. I haven't bought the Tig yet, many things have come up since I first post. I'm at school full time until the end of november then I'll have my general contractor licence so perhaps I will spend a little bit more that what I had first predicted. Getting a unit with A/C would allow for alu welding which I think will be very practical. I also think that I'll buy seperate unit since I will be using for both work & hobby and might need both at the same time. Thanks again for the great comments.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 AM

I have a water jet if you need something cut