General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone has a 3M clear bra film on their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anyone has a 3M clear bra film on their cars?

I just got the Xpel "clear bra" kit for my car. It includes 3M clear film for the front part of the hood, sides, bumper and side mirrors. I'm going to attempt the installation myself this weekend. If anyone has experience with this product and/or installation you can share it with me
Old 07-11-2002, 08:09 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it's almost like tinting the windows.

-get a heat gun - or pick a hot day
-two spray bottles - one w/ soapy water one w/ rubbing alcohol and water 50/50 mix
-pretty sure they gave u the squeege..so use that.
-lots of lint free paper towels
-3M adhesive remover/cleaner

people can do it differently..u don't have to take my word for it but this works for me.

clean everything down w/ the cleaner...no grease and wax.
get a tack cloth (optional) to pick up any stray dust.
work in a clean enclosed area. don't slap it on in your driveway..you need a garage.

once it's clean spray the soapy water down...i use distilled water in the mix..it reduces any chance of sediments getting into the film.

once that's down carefully remove paper liner...(i'm assuming you have the precut kit for your BMW). spray the glue side of the material w/ soap solution again. carefully place it on the paint. don't worry about bubbles or pockets of water.

at this point you just want to position it. once you have it position spray down the film...now take the squeegee and squeegee the center of the piece (also assuming we're doing the hood here). this will anchor the film in place.
now carefully lift one side of the film and spray the alcohol mix. this basically washes away the soap solution. helps if there's someone there spraying for u. while u spray slowing squeegee the flim down to the paint in small sections. be careful how u do it. once it's on..it's ON. if the squeegee drags on the film..spray soap solution to the squeegee side.

once everything is done..break out the heat gun and warm it up..it should bent and conform to the curves and help dry it out. don't drive it for a few hours let it bake in the sun for a little.
good luck
Old 07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did mine in 30 degree weather on my front lawn with my flood light I had to cut a few stress lines because the bra was so frozen tight. Beyond the few slits I had to make it came out perfect

I used to duct tape to line it up on my front bumper, then I removed the red backing exposing the adhesive.

If you get a few bubles they will probably go away after a bit of time. At first I had a bunch of bubles but after some time they all went away.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
Wow, that's a great write-up. Thanks man.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by emax95
I did mine in 30 degree weather on my front lawn with my flood light I had to cut a few stress lines because the bra was so frozen tight. Beyond the few slits I had to make it came out perfect

I used to duct tape to line it up on my front bumper, then I removed the red backing exposing the adhesive.

If you get a few bubles they will probably go away after a bit of time. At first I had a bunch of bubles but after some time they all went away.
What's with you and working on your car in extreme conditions? First the SC, now this. Do you enjoy working in the cold?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by AndyXXL

What's with you and working on your car in extreme conditions? First the SC, now this. Do you enjoy working in the cold?
I hait working on cars in the cold! But if I have a project in mind no weather conditions can hold me back
Old 07-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by emax95

haahaaa..the goal is NOT to have the bunch of bubble after you're done.
but if they went away then ok.
unless it's a SERIOUS curve u don't need to cut slits...but it was freezing cold...that stuff doesn't move too much in the cold.
andy should be ok.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:45 AM

Re: Anyone has a 3M clear bra film on their cars?

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I just got the Xpel "clear bra" kit for my car. It includes 3M clear film for the front part of the hood, sides, bumper and side mirrors. I'm going to attempt the installation myself this weekend. If anyone has experience with this product and/or installation you can share it with me
hey post a pic when u get it done, i really wanna see what it looks like
Old 07-11-2002, 09:17 AM

Re: Re: Anyone has a 3M clear bra film on their cars?

Originally posted by maxichic

hey post a pic when u get it done, i really wanna see what it looks like
It's should be pretty much invisible, but I'll take a few close-up pics.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:56 PM

There is so much in FAQs about this.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:29 PM

See5 - is there ? I cant find anything in the faq's about the clear bra's ..

Can anyone give me a link to them ?