General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Low whistling noise..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Low whistling noise..

I just noticed this noise, I knew before it would only come on at wot, but lately I’ve been hearing it of the line at about 2.5k and up.. it sounds like the car is whistling.. but I don’t feel any lack of performance.. is something leaking.. is this a normal noise, which I didn’t hear before.. or do I need to start inspecting for a leak.. and what should I look for?
Kinda sounds like a quiet supercharger.. lol.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I've got the same thing and seems to be worse in summer. The whistling seems to be coming thru my HKS intake and has been doing this for years. Do you have an intake? I'm assuming what we are hearing is some sort of emissions vacuum under part throttle. When I had my Poorman's CAI with the stock airbox on, my car didn't whistle. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Dave
Old 07-12-2002, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's common with CAI.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:46 AM

Guys.....

My car was whistling when I had the stock airbox. The whistling came from around the intake manifold. It's nothing to worry about, since I know cars that have this sound is pretty cool indeed (and usually have a up-to-date maintenance).

However, when I put Frankencar's intake and Stillen kit, now I have two whistling noise, one that goes "sssssssss", which is from the air intake and the original one that goes "eeeeeee...." from the intake manifold.

The "ssss" thing is kinda cool...it's like having a very, very low pressure turbo....

Originally posted by breaux124
It's common with CAI.