General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

infiniti releases skyline in US

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 02:34 PM

I heard that infiniti will be releasing the skyline in the US sometime around 2002 or 2003. Is this true? If so, then why is being released under infiniti rather than nissan?
Old 12-09-2000, 02:47 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

it's still only a rumor. if it does come, it wont be the r34, but most likely the r35 gtr. the reason why nissan will place it under infiniti is because nissan will have the z. not only that, but a high performance sports car would greatly help infiniti's image. *supposedly* it will have a tt v8 under the bonnet..
Old 12-09-2000, 04:09 PM

i dont think they are going to bring the GT-R, i think they'll only bring the regular models and maybe the 4 door model.
Old 12-09-2000, 04:39 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

not if theyre gonna use it as their image car and an nsx competitor...
Old 12-09-2000, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by jmax1
I heard that infiniti will be releasing the skyline in the US sometime around 2002 or 2003. Is this true? If so, then why is being released under infiniti rather than nissan?
It'll be here... the 2003 Z will not be the flagship.. the Skyline will. The engine will be boasting hp in the neighborhood of the 996 TT...
Old 12-10-2000, 08:36 AM

Screw the Z I want the Skyline or Silvia here now!
Old 12-10-2000, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Synki
Screw the Z I want the Skyline or Silvia here now!
Ditto!
r35 skyline *drool*
Old 12-10-2000, 09:33 AM

Maybe we can get a GROUP BUY!!!!!!!

Hahahaha
Old 12-11-2000, 06:32 AM

This is how it could work...

Nissan offers the Z(duh), but also a turbo Silvia like we should have gotten in the first place. And they need to hurry up and give us that performance Sentra that's supposed to outdo the Integra and Civic Si.

Infiniti will have the R35 GT-R clone, but with a version of the new Q's 320hp V8. Infiniti can prolly tune it for a bit more power, maybe up to 350 or so. I thought maybe it'd be NA, but if it's a TT like Max Zero said, that'd be even better. A coupe version of the I30 would be sweet, too.
Old 12-11-2000, 06:44 AM

ok the rumor is.
Nissan is redesigning the skyline to be released as the R-35. no more GTR or V-Spec. They will be dropping the rb engine (which is rumored for the Z or Silvia) and go with a big brother VQ 3.5l V-8. Direct Injection and Twin Turbo charged in japan. While the exported R-35 will get a 4.0l V-8 Direct Injection (no word on turbo's) both will pump well over 400+ hp. With the rumors that the skyline wasn't brought over due to the wheel converstion problems due to the RB engine. This problem will no longer be a factor. rumors tossed around that the R-35 will be offer'd by infiniti to promote infiniti racing, although some enthusiasts want it released under Nissan's name (like me!).
With the Skyline as the V-8 exotic Flagship to compete with Corvette and Acura, the V-6 Z supercar and Silvia at it's side. Nissan could dominate the market.

so why won't they do it!?!?!?!?!?
frustrating to say the least.

http://homestead.juno.com/bov82/skyliner35.html
Old 12-11-2000, 08:17 AM
davis449

I REALLY don't understand Nissan's marketing mentality. I mean, they want to compete with Honda, Acura, Toyota, etc. but they try to with carppy cars. The only really decent ones of the bunch are the Sentra SE and the Max SE. I agree, I think they should've given us a turbo 240 in the first place. I'm tellin' you, if they would just offer the cars they offer in Japan over here, they would be selling like crazy and they wouldn't always be in financial trouble. I just don't get it.

Old 12-11-2000, 09:11 AM

The REAL History Behind this!!!!!!

Aiight ...

In reply to a bit of EVERYONE's Message!

The Civic Type R (jap. only), VW GTI, Civic SI (note even in the Same League) KILLER ... is the PULSAR GTi-R! 200 Horses Turbo Charged! With a Engine displacement equivilent to the Civic!!

The LOWDOWN on the SKYLINE GTR ... THe SKYLINE in JAPAN will NOT be the same one we Get here (if we get it)

a V8 quite frankly has no Place in the JAPANESE TUNER market!!!

the Honda NSX (yes its HONDA) Considered it ... but is still deciding!
BECAUSE if they drop a V8 in the NSX or the SKYLINE it will lose most of its TUNER ability, and the Traditional INLINE 6 TT, style and namesake for the SKYLINE!!! and the UNDERDOG N/A V6 that produces 290 horses for the NSX!!!

The thing with GTR ... is the fact that NISSAN designed it from DAY 1 ... the ORIGINAL R32 ... to be the KING OF JAPANESE Sports Cars ... the GTR still is!!!!!!!! There is NO arguement there! Its recognized in JAPAN!

BUT BUT ... recently ... Both NISSAN and HONDA want to take their FLAGSHIP Sports Cars into the NEXT level ... Wanting to COMPETE against the BIG BOYS!

The 911 Turbos, the Ferraris, the Diablos!!!!! So THAT sparked the V8 Idea!!!!!!!

WE North American's "might" get a V8 GTR (still unlikely) BUT ... in Japan ... its most likely gonna be a INLINE 6 TT!!!

NISSAN and HONDA of Japan have ALWAYS competed ... SO Nissan Japan will NOT be outdone by Honda's NSX!!!!

As for the Sylvia ... 3 Words ... AFFORDABLE-INSANELY FAST!!!!

Nissan Japan KICKS *** ... Nissan North America, Ummm ... uh ... has SUCKED *** for the last 2 years ... 2K they started making a Come back!

Now THATS the INFO!!!!

Old 12-11-2000, 12:02 PM

Nissan, if you are listening. I am not going to buy a V-8 muscle-car from you. I do not want any V-8 Skyline. All I want is a turbocharged Inline-6.

Old 12-11-2000, 12:11 PM
STFU n00b!

Personally, I don't care whut the !@#!@ is under the hood, as long as it says lives up to the awesome reputatation of the Skyline GT-R
By the time they actually get to selling them openly on the US market, I'll hopefully be able to afford one. until then, I'm not going to whine and moan about what engine I think would be cool because I can't buy it eve if I did like it!
Old 12-11-2000, 03:54 PM

compete with the big boys?
wtf are you talking about?
the Skyline dominates Ferrari and Porsche in GT-R.
You want more power!?! simple get a bigger engine. inline 6, v-8 it matters not. It's still a Nissan engine.
you can get your inline 6 with 320hp and me and matt will get the 450+hp v-8.
the RB is a damn good engine, but if you want to go faster and have more power get the bigger engine. Skyline can keep up with the Corvette fairly well stock as it is now. IF they go to a V-8 it will spank the Corvette and Viper. And of course the Skyline will always spank the NSX and Supra and RX-7

I read up on this car to much.
Old 12-11-2000, 04:11 PM

Ummmm ...

Quite frankly the R34 GTR will get RAPED by a 360 MODENA or a 911 Turbo!!!

If they are ALL Stock, GTR will get killed ... if ya MOD em all ... it gets KICKED even MORE!!!!

The R34 GTR is my FAV car of all time ... BUT ... don't forget ... its a SPORTS car ... not a EXOTIC SPORTS car like Ferrari's, Diablo, and the 911 Turbo!!!

"SIMPLY GET A BIGGER ENGINE"?????? haha You're a TRUE AMERCIAN aren't you????? (no offence to all ya Friends South of the boarder) Damn ... GETTING a Bigger Engine is the EASIEST, Crappiest Way to Give a Car more HORSES!!!!!!! Look at the DOMESTICS!!!

There are SOOOOOO many other ways to increase HP ... Exhaust, BIGGER TURBO (not engine), Variable Valve Timing (Vanos, Vtech, VVTi, NEO, these are all EXAMPLES)

Guy ... just look at the 1.8T engine from VW/AUDI ... All ya gotta do is CHIP it and get a BIGGER Turbo and ya got 240 horses!! And WHAT?? its only a 1.8???? OMG!!!!

Another example ... S4 ... is it V8??? I think not!!!
Bigger Engine ... is NOT always better!!!!!!!!

INLINE or V 6's are the Way to go!!! ... Slap on a TT ... and ya got lots of ponies!!!

Now THATS "WTF" I'm talking about!

Originally posted by Sith
compete with the big boys?
wtf are you talking about?
the Skyline dominates Ferrari and Porsche in GT-R.
You want more power!?! simple get a bigger engine. inline 6, v-8 it matters not. It's still a Nissan engine.
you can get your inline 6 with 320hp and me and matt will get the 450+hp v-8.
the RB is a damn good engine, but if you want to go faster and have more power get the bigger engine. Skyline can keep up with the Corvette fairly well stock as it is now. IF they go to a V-8 it will spank the Corvette and Viper. And of course the Skyline will always spank the NSX and Supra and RX-7

I read up on this car to much.
Old 12-11-2000, 04:18 PM

Mod a inline 6. Ok you got 1000 ponies or what not. Do the same mod's on a V-8. You got 1100 ponies.
You decide guy.
It doesn't matter WTF type of engine it is. You can want a V-3 and mod the hell out of it to 200hp. Hooray for you. While i on the other hand will take the STOCK 450hp V-8.

Now that's WTF i am talking about.

Ya i'm american? So F***ing what. V-8 is a V-8 and coming from nissan and Infiniti Racing would be a GREAT V-8. You can deny the power of brute force muscle.
You wanna know why the NSX gets so much praise? Because it is a Straight 6 with NO TURBO'S. why can it have as much power as a Skyline? simple because it's a bigger engine. You can only go so far with Turbo's man. You start with base power. And a V-8 has alot more.
Old 12-11-2000, 04:42 PM

Thats NOT the point of the SKYLINE!!!!!!

Why don't we drop in a V10 ... Nissan Equivilent of the VIPER engine ... get it to 50000!!!

Like I said ... thats not the point!

Putting in a V8 changes its ENTIRE image ... its "Tunability" (if such a word exist) a V8 Car will be heavier ... the R34 is already as Heavy as our MAXIMA's and thats HEAVY for a Sports car!

So Hopefully Nissan DOES NOT put a V8 into the R35 ... Keep it the way it has been! just improve!

Oh yeah ... Japan has a HELL lot of restrictions in terms of emmissions and size! ALSO ... if ya think OUR gas is EXPENSIVE ... its MUCH more costly in Japan ... So a anything larger than V6 is not feesable!!!

Mod a inline 6. Ok you got 1000 ponies or what not. Do the same mod's on a V-8. You got 1100 ponies.
You decide guy.
It doesn't matter WTF type of engine it is. You can want a V-3 and mod the hell out of it to 200hp. Hooray for you. While i on the other hand will take the STOCK 450hp V-8.

Ya i'm american? So F***ing what. V-8 is a V-8 and coming from nissan and Infiniti Racing would be a GREAT V-8. You can deny the power of brute force muscle.
You wanna know why the NSX gets so much praise? Because it is a Straight 6 with NO TURBO'S. why can it have as much power as a Skyline? simple because it's a bigger engine. You can only go so far with Turbo's man. You start with base power. And a V-8 has alot more.
[Edited by Empz on 12-11-2000 at 06:47 PM]
Old 12-11-2000, 05:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Gotta agree with Sith on this one...

I mean, hypothetically speaking, why not drop a tt v8 in there instead of a straight 6? SURE It's impressive when you milk an engine for all it's worth like the NSX but are you trying to tell me that the Viper would be as fast if it had a straight six in there? Technology and turbos can only take you so far... Like you said, it wouldn't be too feasible in Japan I don't think, but come on, you think a 400 hp tt inline six is economical when it comes to gas? heh.

Chris
Old 12-11-2000, 07:07 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by Empz
Thats NOT the point of the SKYLINE!!!!!!

Why don't we drop in a V10 ... Nissan Equivilent of the VIPER engine ... get it to 50000!!!

Like I said ... thats not the point!

Putting in a V8 changes its ENTIRE image ... its "Tunability" (if such a word exist) a V8 Car will be heavier ... the R34 is already as Heavy as our MAXIMA's and thats HEAVY for a Sports car!

So Hopefully Nissan DOES NOT put a V8 into the R35 ... Keep it the way it has been! just improve!

Oh yeah ... Japan has a HELL lot of restrictions in terms of emmissions and size! ALSO ... if ya think OUR gas is EXPENSIVE ... its MUCH more costly in Japan ... So a anything larger than V6 is not feesable!!!

Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough, make sure you know what you are saying before calling someone of US(American) stupid, Nissan Has Officially planned to replace current V6 twin Turbo with V8 in skylines, what???? YOu know better than Nissan Engineers, i think not!!!!!

Tim

You decide guy.

[Edited by Empz on 12-11-2000 at 06:47 PM]

Cough Cough Cough Cough Cough, make sure you know what you are saying before calling someone of US(American) stupid, Nissan Has Officially planned to replace current V6 twin Turbo with V8 in skylines, what???? YOu know better than Nissan Engineers, i think not!!!!!

Tim

Old 12-11-2000, 07:47 PM

Well ... I'm HALF right, i just read ... There's gonna be TWO separate Engines ... a V8 TT (tuned version of 2002 Q45) will be for the INTERNATIONAL market!

BUT ... In JAPAN ... they will have a Brand NEW 3.0 litre, 6 TT with advancements like VVTi(NEO)!!!!!

LIKE I said ... they will NOT have a V8 Skyline in JAPAN ... its JUST NOT Right!!!!!
The Enthusiast will NEVER take it that way!!!!!!!

SO Ya better get something for that "Cough" guy!

YOU know better?? I don't think so either!

Originally posted by Wustylez

Tim
[/I]
Old 12-11-2000, 10:39 PM

you know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement"... well there's no replacement for displacement except for forced air induction .... take that one step further "there's no replacement for displacement except forced air induction on a big azz engine." take for example a mustang with a 351W AND a S/C. anybody wanna tell me that's a slow car or a weak engine? ok, ok, someone's going to point out a flaw, but you all know what i mean. i agree with both you all that in Japan, it's not feasable to but a V-8 in, but don't the luxo cars have V8s? and it kind of lowers the image of a Japanese tuner car to put in a V8. but what ever makes it faster, right? i'm sure every guy on this Board would give his left ******** (sorry if that is offensive) for a R34 V-Spec. heck, i'd give both after i had a few kids.
Old 12-11-2000, 10:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Romeo
i'm sure every guy on this Board would give his left ******** (sorry if that is offensive) for a R34 V-Spec. heck, i'd give both after i had a few kids.

make it the right one, and you've got a deal.
Old 12-11-2000, 10:51 PM

You cant beat the sound of a v8, espescially with a couple o flowmasters. That is a big plus (for me) over any 4 6 or 10 cylinder. I wont say 12 cuz those ferarri's sound so sweet too.
Old 12-12-2000, 01:15 AM

What's wrong with a V8?

Originally posted by Empz
Putting in a V8 changes its ENTIRE image ... EXPENSIVE ... its MUCH more costly in Japan ... So a anything larger than V6 is not feesable!!!

A Viper V10 in a Skyline?!? Nah..Skyline doesn't have the Viper's mean, brute force attitude. Yes, putting a bigger engine changes a car's image, but it doesn't make the car's image bad. Awhile back Lotus's Espirit used inline 4 cylinders with turbos...it was quick. Then they switched to a V8...that thing rocks now. Kicks *** and if you ask me, the image for that car is a lot better.

Since V8 is too big, isn't V6 too big too? Yes gas costs a lot in Japan, so stick a 4 cylinder Nissan engine in there and mod it like crazy. But hey, you can spend $1000000 modding a 4cylinder while Dodge can get its V10 450hp up to 800hp. You can have the best of both worlds. Put a V8 in there and have all the technology to have it kick ***.

Old 12-12-2000, 05:37 AM

With Nissan's technology i'm sure they could find away to make a V-8 more gas efficent. The Q45 gets pretty damn good gas mileage if you ask me for a V-8. It probably gets more than my Maxima right now. (15mpg incase your wondering, o2 Sensor.)

V-8 changes the Image? Ya to one hell of a meaner machine. Who cares wtf you got in it as long as the SOB can haul *****!!!!!!!!!!. I'm considering buying a guys 280z at work and slapping in a small block 350. Why? because that much power in that car would be one hell of a sleeper. And a 350 will already bolt up to the stock tranny. Ya i'm American, You can't deny the power of the muscle, and old AMerican Muscle. The only reason Nissan stayed with a 6 in the Skyline in Japan was because of the agreement with the government. Now there going to ignore that rule and slap in a V-8 TT Direct Injection 450+ hp MONSTER!!!!

I don't care what you think, If you want a faster car (and have done a ton of mods already). Get a bigger engine.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:44 AM

Honda analogy, look out!!

Okay, here's what the Honda guys do...

Instead of modding the life out of the 1.6L engines in their Civics, what do they do? They increase displacement, whether it be the 1.8L from the Integras, stroking the B-series(Civic Si or Integra) engine up to 2L with an old Prelude crank, or just getting a Prelude 2.2L. Not only is there more torque and power before mods are added, but the mods can add even more power when there's more engine to work with.

Sure, it's nice when you add mods to an engine so that it can outperform a bigger engine. But if you add those same mods to that bigger engine, it will take out the smaller one any day of the week.

And why does the next Q45's engine already make more torque than the current R34 GT-R(333 vs. 289)? More displacement. It's that simple, and you can add me to the list of guys that would love to see a V8 Skyline clone. Who knows, maybe tuners can slap on a tt system and boost it up to 1300hp!
FYI, R34s are running around 850hp(might be lower b/c of the variable valve timing), while the old R33s can make up to 1200.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:20 AM

I agree with EMPZ.. You don't really even need 1000hp from a car you are going to do GT racing with, and who gives a flying **** about drag racing?!??!

Also, V8 will add weight to the car.. and maybe throw off the ballance some? (more weight in the front? worse handling maybe? I dunno.. possible though)

Besides.. M3 and 911 don't need V8's to be fast as hell do they? And I would sure as hell drive a 911TT before I drive a POS Viper!!!!! I don't care -WHAT- mods they have.. I will still take a 911 ANY DAY!!

Besides, it's much more fun to beat some Rustang V8 in your I6 than your V8....... And it's not like the RB engine has any problem getting WELL over 1000-1400hp if you really want it... Why bother with a V8 and mess it all up? Screw that..

Also.. V8 isn't a requirement to make your racing team look good.. If it was then Porsche 911's would have been V8's a long time ago.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:24 AM

Re: Ummmm ...

Another thing..

The RB engine has already proven it's self to be a bad-*** all out racing engine from hell..... There is a crap load of mods for it.. It's reliable.. It's an all around great engine..

And you want to drop a V8 in it and start all over? no mods... no racing experience at all.. nothing... what a waste!!

And what makes you think Infinity will put a 400hp V8 in it? They will probably keep it in mid 300's or lower.. I don't think they will go all out with it.. You are giving Nissan USA WAYYYYYYY TOOOOO MUCH CREDIT by saying they will go all out like that....... It just doesn't happen that way.. Sorry.... I would rather take an I6, do a few mods and have 600hp and be happy then wait 2 years to make my V8 do the same thing.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:29 AM
OG :)

Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Originally posted by PeelBoy
And what makes you think Infinity will put a 400hp V8 in it? They will probably keep it in mid 300's or lower.. I don't think they will go all out with it.. You are giving Nissan USA WAYYYYYYY TOOOOO MUCH CREDIT by saying they will go all out like that....... It just doesn't happen that way.. Sorry....
i have to say because the next q45 is gonna get a 340hp v8
Old 12-12-2000, 09:30 AM

Your thinking is flawed.. You assume you will actually take full advantage of your engine... Sure.. You can get more ponies out of a V8.. But what the hell makes you think you are going to tune your new Skyline to 2000hp and only drive it at the drag strip? Huh? Tell me.. Would you be that stupid?!

You will probably tune to a respectable hp like 600-800 and leave it...... Both an I6 and a V8 can do that VERY easily!!

Why start all over with a new engine, and new mods, when you already have an awesome freakin engine that is proven to work good on the race track..

Originally posted by Romeo
you know the saying "there's no replacement for displacement"... well there's no replacement for displacement except for forced air induction .... take that one step further "there's no replacement for displacement except forced air induction on a big azz engine." take for example a mustang with a 351W AND a S/C. anybody wanna tell me that's a slow car or a weak engine? ok, ok, someone's going to point out a flaw, but you all know what i mean. i agree with both you all that in Japan, it's not feasable to but a V-8 in, but don't the luxo cars have V8s? and it kind of lowers the image of a Japanese tuner car to put in a V8. but what ever makes it faster, right? i'm sure every guy on this Board would give his left ******** (sorry if that is offensive) for a R34 V-Spec. heck, i'd give both after i had a few kids.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

..thus the skyline will have more ponies, being a sports car

Originally posted by Kenneth
And what makes you think Infinity will put a 400hp V8 in it? They will probably keep it in mid 300's or lower.. I don't think they will go all out with it.. You are giving Nissan USA WAYYYYYYY TOOOOO MUCH CREDIT by saying they will go all out like that....... It just doesn't happen that way.. Sorry....
Old 12-12-2000, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Right. And that car weights 1000 lbs more just about.

Who wants a heavy skyline that sounds like a mustang? I don't.. I would rather have a light skyline that sounds like a REAL race car.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Right. And that car weights 1000 lbs more just about.

Who wants a heavy skyline that sounds like a mustang? I don't.. I would rather have a light skyline that sounds like a REAL race car.

man motors here, never said they would share same platforms

nissan wouldn't give us a domestic sounding car.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

People would laugh if porsche decided to drop a V8 in their 911 and make it sound like a muscle car.

The only reason I think porsche could pull it off is because they are a much better company at doing this kinda thing.. They would tune the engine.. Get 500-600hp stock, make it sound nice, ballance it out, get weight off of it, etc..

Nissan will just take their family car motor, add a few things, drop it in with 380-400hp and call it a racing motor..

Personally I think infinity will turn the skyline into a 4,000lb Sports/luxo car to compete with the SLK. NOT a 911.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Personally I think infinity will turn the skyline into a 4,000lb Sports/luxo car to compete with the SLK. NOT a 911.
peel?! slk is an roadster hehe
Old 12-12-2000, 09:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Yes, it's a very BIG and HEAVY and Luxo roadster..

It might be quick, but it's not the best roadster you can buy.. Unless you want bullet proof armor or something?

I just think infinity will turn the Skyline into something like that.. A heavy luxo sports car.. Something fun to drive, quick, but still has all the luxo features of any infinity.. -NOT- an all out sports car like the 911.

Maybe more along the lines of an M3... (except I bet it will weigh more and I bet the M3 will still be sportier.. heh..)

Doesn't that seem like something infinity would do?
I bet they would make it look less agressive also..

peel?! slk is an roadster hehe
Old 12-12-2000, 10:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummmm ...

Comeeee onnnnn man!! Don't deny it

We sit and talk all day about how much Nissan USA sucks compared to Nissan Japan..

They tune things there. They style things nice. They add turbo's... We don't!! We add fluff. Weight. Take off the turbo. De-tune... Etc..

What makes you think Infinity will take the skyline and turn it into a Viper killer? I just don't see it happening.. They will turn it into a heavy sporty luxo sedan or something stupid.. Sure.. Aftermarket parts will take care of that.. Eventually.. Assuming it doesn't take on the image of all other Nissan USA cars (family cars, not worth modding etc..)

If they used the same I6... We already have the parts.. Spend a few k (about the same price that we spend for our SC's) and you have a reliable, race-proven, 500+hp monster. Who cares about the V8?!
Old 12-12-2000, 10:14 AM

Not sure 'bout this...

But I think the new Q's V8 might be all aluminum, kinda like the VQ. The RB-series engines are iron blocks. Inline-6 engines are also longer, requiring a longer engine bay, and thus more materials and weight. V8s are more compact(two banks of 4 cylinders, rather than one of 6), and an aluminum one might actually weigh a bit less than a predominantly iron engine.

That's why Infiniti uses an aluminum V8 for CART racing. Those don't sound like rumbly domestic V8s, do they? And Nissan isn't the only manufacturer doing this. Toyota will be stepping up to the plate with a 4000GT supercar, powered by a tuned up version of the GS400 V8(400+hp), which is also an aluminum engine. It prolly weighs less than the Supra's inline-6 too. Even Honda will be using a new aluminum V8 for the next RL replacement and the next generation NSX. Oh, and Porsche has a V10 supercar concept. Pretty sweet, huh?

So this isn't the end of Japan's advantage. It's actually getting better, because they're applying the advanced technology they've used on smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines to slightly bigger V8s. Imagine the possibilities!
Old 12-12-2000, 10:28 AM

Re: Not sure 'bout this...

The weight thing makes sense, but I still have serious doubts that infinity could pull this off the RIGHT way.. Once again I think you would be giving too much credit to Nissan USA.. I think they are too clueless to do this right.

Also.. I was talking about the 911.. Is there a V10 911?

I know porsche makes other cars with bigger engines, but the 911 is still their main race car, and I don't see them switching over any time soon.

A stock 911 Turbo pushes what? 410+ hp? 0-60 in 3.6 seconds? Lots of potential to go faster? Why bother with a V8.. Everything is already RIGHT.. Switching the engine would be like starting all over again..

I don't think the time is right for that just yet.. Maybe in a few years, but not yet.. As long as technology keeps advancing there will be no real reason to make the switch.. I would rather have a hi-tech I6 than a so-so V8.. Yeah the V8 might get some good technology into it, but it's still very immature..

And again.. For a street car.. Do you really need over 800hp?

Plus I really like the image that the Skyline has right now. If they want to completely change the car (pretty much from the ground up) like this.. I wish they would just make a new car all together.. What if the V8 flops? There goes the good image..

And another thing..

Nissan USA's baby is the Z... We've already read about how the stronger part of Nissan favors the Z over the Skyline.. How much do you want to bet that they make the Z the better of the two cars in the US market?!?!

Originally posted by Black VQ
But I think the new Q's V8 might be all aluminum, kinda like the VQ. The RB-series engines are iron blocks. Inline-6 engines are also longer, requiring a longer engine bay, and thus more materials and weight. V8s are more compact(two banks of 4 cylinders, rather than one of 6), and an aluminum one might actually weigh a bit less than a predominantly iron engine.

That's why Infiniti uses an aluminum V8 for CART racing. Those don't sound like rumbly domestic V8s, do they? And Nissan isn't the only manufacturer doing this. Toyota will be stepping up to the plate with a 4000GT supercar, powered by a tuned up version of the GS400 V8(400+hp), which is also an aluminum engine. It prolly weighs less than the Supra's inline-6 too. Even Honda will be using a new aluminum V8 for the next RL replacement and the next generation NSX. Oh, and Porsche has a V10 supercar concept. Pretty sweet, huh?

So this isn't the end of Japan's advantage. It's actually getting better, because they're applying the advanced technology they've used on smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines to slightly bigger V8s. Imagine the possibilities!

Quick Reply: infiniti releases skyline in US