General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

infiniti releases skyline in US

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 05:16 AM

IF they bring it over it will have everything the R34 GTR V-Spec has, except the RB engine. But it won't have the GTR V-Spec badging, there dropping that. And will most likey be in the 50k range.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:12 AM

One thing to remember...

The Skyline doesn't really cots all that much if you do a direct doller-to-yen conversion. I remember Turbo magazine said the 2.5GT would cost around $23k. Now there will be some importing costs, so kick it up to say, $27k. Still ain't that bad!

And the other thing is, unless Infiniti changes their entire designation policy and starts giving their cars real names, this car will not be called the Skyline. And I do have to agree with Peel on one little thing: This will be an Infiniti, a luxury car. Picture an extreme version of say, a Lexus SC400. That's the bit I'm worried about. They almost have to make it that way so as not to conflict with the Z.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:36 AM

The Z is going to be under 30k, the Skyline will be over 50k. If you want a very fast 6 cyclinder sprots car for a good price you will get the Z. If you want the V-8 monster sports car you'll get the R-35. The corvette never killed the Camaro did it? If they brought it over as Nissan all would be fine. 2 Different cars for different budgets, different fanatics. And it might be called the Skyline R-35, or it may just be called the R-35. -shrug-
I think and Hope they'd keep the name due to it's reputation.
Old 12-13-2000, 07:22 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by Sith
The Z is going to be under 30k, the Skyline will be over 50k. The corvette never killed the Camaro did it?
good point, the z is going to be available. btw this is the last editions of the camaros and firebirds/hawks...
Old 12-13-2000, 01:41 PM

The corvette never killed the Camaro did it? If they brought it over as Nissan all would be fine. 2 Different cars for different budgets, different fanatics. I think and Hope they'd keep the name due to it's reputation.
Well the thing is, Nissan doesn't even sell close to as many cars as Chevy does. They have to be careful. And what reputation? The only thing Nissan would have to go on is what ppl know about the car in Japan. And lets be honest: Outside of car enthusiasts like us, hardly anyone knows about the Skyline in Japan, so they could care less. But maybe if they called it the R45...
Old 12-13-2000, 01:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually, the Skyline is well known in Europe and Australia also. MaxPower(European mag) loves the Skyline.

I don't think there would be a problem w/ the new 300z vs skyline as long as the price differential is enough. But the more expensive one had better have 350hp+ to make it worthwhile.

Originally posted by Black VQ
The corvette never killed the Camaro did it? If they brought it over as Nissan all would be fine. 2 Different cars for different budgets, different fanatics. I think and Hope they'd keep the name due to it's reputation.
Well the thing is, Nissan doesn't even sell close to as many cars as Chevy does. They have to be careful. And what reputation? The only thing Nissan would have to go on is what ppl know about the car in Japan. And lets be honest: Outside of car enthusiasts like us, hardly anyone knows about the Skyline in Japan, so they could care less. But maybe if they called it the R45...
Old 12-13-2000, 01:52 PM

I agree with you on this completely.

I think eventually the Skyline will get a good reputation though.. With magazine reviews and all.. But will anybody buy it? Maybe not at first... I dunno..

Recently while I was visiting my parents my dad said he was thinking about getting a Porsche 911 Turbo.. I said "Why not get a Skyline? It would be more unique, cheaper, and still fun to drive" he just looked at me with a blank stare like "wtf are you talking about?"

Originally posted by Black VQ
Old 12-14-2000, 06:43 AM

Ya i said that to a guy at work too.
He gave me the stare, I burned a couple MPEGS and gave him a couple of magazines with the Skyline in it.
He is now in a plot to steal 1 of the 2 R-34's in a near by city with me that just sit on a show room floor.
muaahaha.
Word of mouth.
Does a great deal.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:54 AM
MaxRX7

hellz yeah

the time has finally come.

Old 12-19-2000, 09:25 PM

My prediction

- Okay, here's what I gather. Nissan does need an image boost in the USA. So does Infiniti. Acura, made by Honda, just as Inifiniti is made by Nissan has their top-of-the-line NSX marketed as an Acura in America. In Japan, it's a Honda NSX.
- So, Nissan gets a little, ahem, "piston envy" and will use a V-8 in the American AND Japanese model Skylines. This matches the number of cylinders as the new NSX and happens to be a very magical number in stupid America. (Don't we all just love saying "V-8"?) Who really cares!? Yes, tradition is nice, but times are always changing in the car world. We need the two extra cylinders to match Honda in marketing and to sort out that messy engine-bay. It is extremely difficult to currently do a RHD conversion. Plus, an inline-6 can only deliver so much power before snapping the crankshaft. To strengthen it, Nissan would have to have one the diameter of a garbage can! We mustn't forget that their are many fine V-8's in world (360 Modena) and that INFINITI makes CART V-8's. (This strengthens the tie to motorsports in the American market.)
- Yes, it would be wonderful to have the real Skyline, with a TT Inline 6, badged rightfully as a Nissan. But America will soon receive a new Z-car, no Sylvia, and in all likelihood, an Infiniti Skyline with a high-revving V-8.
- Suck it up, buy it, and just know quietly that it really is a Nissan, and that the new N/A or TT V-8 ain't too bad at 8500 rpm's.
Old 12-19-2000, 10:30 PM

Make it lightweight and powerful..

What would be awesome is a sub 2600lb car with 250+ horses and at least 200lb-ft of torque..

Of course a great suspension and 5/6 speed tranny too..

Nothing else is needed. At that weight the car would scream..

The Skyline you guys mention sounds like a high performance touring car..

-John M
Old 12-20-2000, 05:33 AM

Well it prolly will be a high-po touring car. Skylines weigh more than a Max as it is.
Old 12-20-2000, 05:44 AM
vapors smx

Try a venturi. It is from France. 450 hp 2750 lbs for the 400 gt. can import one for 50k-100k us. goto http://www.carclassic.com/VENTURI.HTM

They also have several different models.

This above site rocks because there are so many eotic cars for sale and import.

Old 12-20-2000, 10:48 AM
Maxima95

Originally posted by MaximaZero
*supposedly* it will have a tt v8 under the bonnet..
I doubt it will have a TT V8 under the hood. The R35 is probally going to have the usual TT I6. With some new styling, and maybe a few more ponies under the hood.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Maxima95
I doubt it will have a TT V8 under the hood. The R35 is probally going to have the usual TT I6. With some new styling, and maybe a few more ponies under the hood. [/I]
The R35 will not make it here with the TT'd I6. Nissan can't make a left hand drive version of it. So we're definitely getting a V8. May not be a tt, but a V8 nonetheless.