General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WTF?! Supercharger Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 04:30 PM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by iansw
Does anyone on this board have any actual numbers from before and after CatBack on an SC?

(I don't mean Y-Pipe, JUST CatBack).

i find it hard to believe it makes a 25-20hp difference.
(Or do you all mean CatBack + Y = +25-30hp???)

IanS

If you do a y-pipe and/or hi-flow cat WITHOUT changing out your stock cat-back you create a bottleneck.
So you're not going to see the gains until you do the cat-back.
So, yes, you can pick up 20HP+ with just a cat-back on a car with forced induction.

You MUST do the ENTIRE exhaust. BIGGER IS BETTER.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by My 4DSC

If you do a y-pipe and/or hi-flow cat WITHOUT changing out your stock cat-back you create a bottleneck.
So you're not going to see the gains until you do the cat-back.
So, yes, you can pick up 20HP+ with just a cat-back on a car with forced induction.

You MUST do the ENTIRE exhaust. BIGGER IS BETTER.
Interesting. Well, I already have a Y-Pipe, and MEVI, giving me 267hp with a 3.25" Pulley.

So you're saying a Catback would give me 287+hp?!?!?!

IanS
Old 07-15-2002, 05:47 PM

cali spec, thats a prob
Old 07-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Interesting. Well, I already have a Y-Pipe, and MEVI, giving me 267hp with a 3.25" Pulley.

So you're saying a Catback would give me 287+hp?!?!?!
IanS
So, you're getting 267 wheel hp with a 3.25 pulley?
In that case I should atleast be at 252 wheel HP with my 3.33". It must be the freaking dyno. My drove my friend's 300 wheelHP 2001 AE supercharged Maxima & we both agreed that mine felt much faster... I'm gonna race him on Wednesday...see who wins & by how much.

It is very obvious that my stock exhaust is choking past 5200 rpms. The dyno graph just flatlines past 5200 rpms. Just a tiny spike at 6K rpms...

What is the best, least expensive place to buy the Apexi World Sport exhaust?
Old 07-15-2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by dashingMax

In that case I should atleast be at 252 wheel HP with my 3.33". It must be the freaking dyno. My drove my friend's 300 wheelHP 2001 AE supercharged Maxima & we both agreed that mine felt much faster... I'm gonna race him on Wednesday...see who wins & by how much.

It is very obvious that my stock exhaust is choking past 5200 rpms. The dyno graph just flatlines past 5200 rpms. Just a tiny spike at 6K rpms...

Ummmm...not necessarily.

I have the MEVI, which gave me +36hp.

Wihtout the MEVI, I'm at 231 at the wheel.

But I've got boost problems anyway (only getting 6PSI with the 3.25")

I think I actually should be at 250 with the 3.25, and 286 with the MEVI adding the previously mentioned +36hp to it.

So with a CatBack, theroetically I should be over 300hp. IF a CatBack really gives 20+, which is what I was asking.

OR, not having the CatBack IS my problem in the first place, which some people have said is a possibility.

Need proof....anyone?

IanS
Old 07-16-2002, 12:34 AM

don't get the A'PEXi WS with your S/Cer....the b-pipe section of that system is only 2.25 inches (stock diameter)....muffler section is 2.5 though...I'm planning on swapping out my Apexi b-pipe when I go forced induction...which will probably be VERY soon.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:53 AM

Cali Spec vs Fed-Spec.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dashingMax
[B]

Since the Anniversary Editions are 2k1, are they considered Cali-Spec of Fed-Spec or neither since they have that different exhaust set-up??? I'm a cali-spec but I have'nt dynoed yet. Jhanns has a 2k1 AE and hes over 300hp at the wheels?!?!?!?

Deac
Old 07-16-2002, 08:29 AM
My 4DSC

just go to a muffler shop and have them bend you a 3" b-pipe with a muffler w/ a 3" inlet/outlet...if you dont like loud exhaust have them put on a resonator...and change that stock cat if you havent already....

custom 3" b-pipe = $100
3" muffler = $100+
3" hiflow cat= $80-90
resonator= $30

Custom is the way to go....f*** that GReddy B.S. it's not intended for a S/C'ed car.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by My 4DSC
just go to a muffler shop and have them bend you a 3" b-pipe with a muffler w/ a 3" inlet/outlet...if you dont like loud exhaust have them put on a resonator...and change that stock cat if you havent already....

custom 3" b-pipe = $100
3" muffler = $100+
3" hiflow cat= $80-90
resonator= $30

Custom is the way to go....f*** that GReddy B.S. it's not intended for a S/C'ed car.
Okay!! I guess Apexi is out...
Does Greddy give us a nice 2.5" inner diameter cat-back? The only reason for not having an aftermarket exhaust is I hate the sound. I know the Greddy SP are LOUD!!
Custom exhaust...?!?!? Should I call the local Midas or CarX??
Old 07-16-2002, 10:24 AM
VQ Wizard

One more tidbit that I havent seen mentioned. I don't know if it is as bad with Vortech blowers but I know with some older Paxtons there was a breakin period. We installed a Paxton SN92 on my buddies '93 Ranger 4.0 liter pickup and for the first 1000 miles or so the truck felt almost stock. But later on as he piled on the miles the truck began to get much faster. To the point of which he could outrun stock Z28's through first and second gear. This also was the exact same case with another Ranger /Paxton install of another friend of ours. I suppose the people here who have already gone through a few thousand miles on their Vortechs could fill you/us in on this info.

Is this something to account for on new V1 or V2 installs??
Old 07-16-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

don't get the A'PEXi WS with your S/Cer....the b-pipe section of that system is only 2.25 inches (stock diameter)....muffler section is 2.5 though...I'm planning on swapping out my Apexi b-pipe when I go forced induction...which will probably be VERY soon.
You sure about this Brian?
What about the Greddy SP? 2.5 all the way?
Any other options (Budget, Stillen, Warpspeed, Cattman), other than a custom exhaust?
Old 07-16-2002, 10:29 AM

You sure about this Brian?
What about the Greddy SP? 2.5 all the way?
Any other options (Budget, Stillen, Warpspeed, Cattman), other than a custom exhaust?
Bobby my brother has a SP on his 99. Why dont you listen to it and make a call if you like the sound. I personally think it isnt loud and has a nice tone to it. It is 2.5" piping from the cat-back.

Other than that, IF you dont wanna go to APG for a custom 3" exhaust system you can go to a place like Midas or Merlins and get a 3" crush bent catback. You can buy a good muffler from a place like www.magnaflow.com They make a real nice muffler and with a resonator in place it should sound similar to a greddy.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:38 AM

You sure of that? That sucks. I just got a WSP test pipe which is 2.5" in diameter. I forgot to check when I was under there. I assume the WSP ypipe is 2.5" in diameter, so it's 2.5" to 2.5" to 2.25" to 2.5"? That's ypipe to test pipe to bpipe to muffler.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
YES I HAVE TWO SENSORS MY CAR IS NOT SLOW!

*edit at least not the slowest one
I have 4 and I'm not slow.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

You sure of that? That sucks. I just got a WSP test pipe which is 2.5" in diameter. I forgot to check when I was under there. I assume the WSP ypipe is 2.5" in diameter, so it's 2.5" to 2.5" to 2.25" to 2.5"? That's ypipe to test pipe to bpipe to muffler.
The test pipe is the one that actually replaced the Catalytic converter with a straight through pipe...correct?
What about the Y-pipe? Are all aftermarket Y-pipes (esp., BudgetExhaust) 2.5" in diameter?
I have no intentions to replace the cat for 1-2 measely ponies. Besides, I am somewhat environmentally conscious.

I guess Greddy looks promising...
I don't really wanna go the APG route.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:05 PM

yes I'm sure....I've been under there WAY too many times...it's got a noticably smaller diameter than my 2.5inch test pipe...
Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 PM

yes I'm sure....I've been under there WAY too many times...it's got a noticably smaller diameter than my 2.5inch test pipe...
Is it possible to get just the 2.5" B-pipe & keep the stock muffler? This is so I can keep the noise level down...however, I don't want to compromise too much on power...

Thx
Old 09-12-2002, 01:21 AM

Ummmm...not necessarily.

I have the MEVI, which gave me +36hp.

Wihtout the MEVI, I'm at 231 at the wheel.

But I've got boost problems anyway (only getting 6PSI with the 3.25")

I think I actually should be at 250 with the 3.25, and 286 with the MEVI adding the previously mentioned +36hp to it.

So with a CatBack, theroetically I should be over 300hp. IF a CatBack really gives 20+, which is what I was asking.

OR, not having the CatBack IS my problem in the first place, which some people have said is a possibility.

Need proof....anyone?

IanS
Just an update to my last post on this thread:

Put in a Stillen B-pipe, and got a new boost gauge.

Hitting 8PSI regularly now, and sometimes 9PSI. Unfortunately, my track times were 14.7 with a 2.3 60 foot. Not so good.

I'm only showing 14Hg of vacuum on my car, and have replaced every gasket on the manifold and checked every hose 3-4 times in the entire vacuum system. No leaks. (also used 2 other diagnostic gauges that got the same reading)

Anyway, the B-Pipe seems to make the car feel even slower. I got a great deal on a Stillen exhaust, so I'll be putting that in in a few weeks.

Of course, maybe the loss in Butt Dyno power is just that I've gotten used to the speed of the car with the SC. so I'll be re-Dynoing after I get the muffler on.

I have still seen no proof whatsoever that a CatBack on a SC'ed Max adds any more than 5-7hp.

IanS
Old 09-12-2002, 06:28 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I have still seen no proof whatsoever that a CatBack on a SC'ed Max adds any more than 5-7hp.

IanS
So you finally realized that, eh?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

So you finally realized that, eh?
Nah. I knew that awhile ago. I just had a little doubt from all the peopleo n this board who say "But it will give HUGE gains on a boosted Maxima"

Whenever I say "Do you have proof?" Noone replies.

I'm only doing it because I got the B-Pipe for free, and an awesome deal on the Exhaust. Total it will cost me $150 for a CatBack, so i figure "why not?"

IanS
Old 09-12-2002, 06:55 AM

Kind of odd that your vacuum is still quite low. I'm getting 17-20hg of vacuum at idle, 14-15hg when my car is at a stop(at a redlight for instance...weird), and about 24hg when I let off when my car is moving. Seem pretty normal right? If that's the case, then I shouldn't have any leaks right? So it couldn't be any of the connections. I'm still thinking it's the BOV that's causing my problems.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:56 AM

Kind of odd that your vacuum is still quite low. I'm getting 17-20hg of vacuum at idle, 14-15hg when my car is at a stop(at a redlight for instance...weird), and about 24hg when I let off when my car is moving. Seem pretty normal right? If that's the case, then I shouldn't have any leaks right? So it couldn't be any of the connections. I'm still thinking it's the BOV that's causing my problems.
When I say "14-15Hg at idle", I'm talking about at a stop, with the Auto tranny in D.

IanS
Old 09-12-2002, 07:07 AM

When I say "14-15Hg at idle", I'm talking about at a stop, with the Auto tranny in D.

IanS

Hm...if that's the case, I'm getting the same thing. Is that normal?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Nah. I knew that awhile ago. I just had a little doubt from all the peopleo n this board who say "But it will give HUGE gains on a boosted Maxima"

Whenever I say "Do you have proof?" Noone replies.

I'm only doing it because I got the B-Pipe for free, and an awesome deal on the Exhaust. Total it will cost me $150 for a CatBack, so i figure "why not?"

IanS
There are some members you want to listen to, but the hard part is distinguishing which ones blow hot air and which ones know what they're talking about.

Changing the exhaust will help, but it won't give you a crazy hp gain.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:15 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Obviously no hot air from you kev, mister water injection cool-air!

There are some members you want to listen to, but the hard part is distinguishing which ones blow hot air and which ones know what they're talking about.

Old 09-12-2002, 08:22 AM

*** DYNO UPDATE ***
Previously I was at 232.2 Front Wheel HP.
I dynoed again after some changes at the same place on the same dyno.
*drum rolls*
267.7 fwhp.
I did the following since my initial dyno:
** 1 step colder plugs
** stock rims+tires (no 18's the second time)
** 2.5" Warpspeed test pipe.
** 2.5" Greddy SP cat-back.
** new knock sensor (old one was shot).
Between better ignition timing, free flow exhaust, 5 lbs less unsprung weights from wheels & new colder plugs, I gained +35.5 hp.
Kevin maybe right about hp gains. Hard to tell how much of this extra HP is attributed to the cat-back.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oooooo... congrats!

I still have a lot of hot air, Chebey.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:14 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i dont understand how people think that puttin on a greddy or apexi catback will yield 15hp or something.

i'm surprised if i even got like 4.

oh well.

i got enuf stickers to compensate the loss in hp.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:55 AM

*** DYNO UPDATE ***
Previously I was at 232.2 Front Wheel HP.
I dynoed again after some changes at the same place on the same dyno.
*drum rolls*
267.7 fwhp.
I did the following since my initial dyno:
** 1 step colder plugs
** stock rims+tires (no 18's the second time)
** 2.5" Warpspeed test pipe.
** 2.5" Greddy SP cat-back.
** new knock sensor (old one was shot).
Between better ignition timing, free flow exhaust, 5 lbs less unsprung weights from wheels & new colder plugs, I gained +35.5 hp.
Kevin maybe right about hp gains. Hard to tell how much of this extra HP is attributed to the cat-back.
Replace your ignition coils (ALL OF THEM). There is a TSB for 4th gen coils.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE

Do you think that the Nissan dealer will even touch my car after all the mods that it has on it?
Even if they did, I wouldn't trust them NOT to screw something up.
Wonder if they just give me the parts. I can install coils no problem.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:20 PM

If my warranty is still "good" and there is a TSB, do they have to cover it if I request replacement?

IanS
Old 09-12-2002, 02:25 PM

Appreciate that info Sprint...but I should not be Cali-spec.
I bought the car in Illinois & it should not be California.
Are you saying all SE-L's are Cali-spec?

Also, will a cat-back exhaust help gain 30 wheel horses?!
I am comparing my car with SighMax's dyno. His setup is EXACT same as mine except for the Greddy exhaust...

Thanks!

I have an SE-L and it's not Cali. I bought my car is Illinois as well. My dyno numbers are a little higher than other with same mods.

By the way I saw you on 290 the other day you were exiting off on rt. 83!
Old 09-12-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by max7
By the way I saw you on 290 the other day you were exiting off on rt. 83!
Oh! I was wondering if you were a member on the .org
I've never seen you at any local Maxima meets...atleast the last couple of 'em. Your car looks tight!
I saw you again on I-355 south. I believe you took the Army Trail Road exit.
What did you dyno at?
Old 09-12-2002, 10:09 PM

the TSB is for 5th gen coils NOT 4th gen.....
Old 09-13-2002, 02:08 PM

Oh! I was wondering if you were a member on the .org
I've never seen you at any local Maxima meets...atleast the last couple of 'em. Your car looks tight!
I saw you again on I-355 south. I believe you took the Army Trail Road exit.
What did you dyno at?
I dynoed at 188 HP and 193 TQ at the wheels.

I want my Turbo. Nice car man I love it. White SE-L five speed. How many of us are there?
Old 09-13-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by max7

I dynoed at 188 HP and 193 TQ at the wheels.

I want my Turbo. Nice car man I love it. White SE-L five speed. How many of us are there?
I could have sworn all SE-L's were silver.