General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone Have Problems w/ Their Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:27 PM

Anyone Have Problems w/ Their Ignition Switch?

I switched out the starter to my 95 SE about 1 month ago and the mechanic told me that my ignition switch will also need to be changed. It is getting worse and I need to fix it...Now, am I going to have to get a new core with a new key and have to "carry" around 2 keys - 1 for the ignition and 1 for the Doors /Trunk - or is there a way to fix it without having to do all that?

Lets hear the wealth of knowledge from this forum....

Thanks for your help...
Old 07-15-2002, 06:01 AM

Re: Anyone Have Problems w/ Their Ignition Switch?

Originally posted by NikeGal
I switched out the starter to my 95 SE about 1 month ago and the mechanic told me that my ignition switch will also need to be changed. It is getting worse and I need to fix it...Now, am I going to have to get a new core with a new key and have to "carry" around 2 keys - 1 for the ignition and 1 for the Doors /Trunk - or is there a way to fix it without having to do all that?

Lets hear the wealth of knowledge from this forum....

Thanks for your help...

Anyone???
Old 07-15-2002, 06:07 AM

I have knows of a few 95 models to have problems with ther switch, it was a problem that you turned the key and the car wouldnt turn over. Something with the way the key was positioined in the switch. Ask 88maximase he has this problem on this 4th gen .

mike
Old 07-15-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
I have knows of a few 95 models to have problems with ther switch, it was a problem that you turned the key and the car wouldnt turn over. Something with the way the key was positioined in the switch. Ask 88maximase he has this problem on this 4th gen .

mike
Well - I went to the Universal Nissan Dealership and they told me it seemed like the Switch assembly. Which was only $40. So I tried it .... and thank you Lord. That was the problem.... So if anyone has a startup problem and you know it is not the battery and the starter then try part # 48750-1E411...

Hope this can help someone else....
Old 07-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NikeGal

Well - I went to the Universal Nissan Dealership and they told me it seemed like the Switch assembly. Which was only $40. So I tried it .... and thank you Lord. That was the problem.... So if anyone has a startup problem and you know it is not the battery and the starter then try part # 48750-1E411...

Hope this can help someone else....

Thanks...

Old 08-06-2002, 08:31 PM

Flaky Ignition

Is that the entire part number for the ignition switch assembly, and is it relatively easy to install? For the past several months, when I start my car sometimes I will turn the key all the way and not a sound. It will start the second time. I've been suspecting an ignition problem. But last night, for the first time, it would not make any sound after turning it 5-6 times. I checked battery, starter and alternator and all were fine, so I believe this assembly you refer to is my problem. I also have a '95 Maxima.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:46 PM

Re: Flaky Ignition

Originally posted by radiohead75243
Is that the entire part number for the ignition switch assembly, and is it relatively easy to install? For the past several months, when I start my car sometimes I will turn the key all the way and not a sound. It will start the second time. I've been suspecting an ignition problem. But last night, for the first time, it would not make any sound after turning it 5-6 times. I checked battery, starter and alternator and all were fine, so I believe this assembly you refer to is my problem. I also have a '95 Maxima.
yeah that is what mine did... I typed all the #'s that were on the packaging - if not just go to the parts counter at the nissan dealership and tell them you need the electrical part to the ignition switch... honestly I was getting other things worked on so my car was at my mechanics and they installed the part for me...
Old 08-07-2002, 01:19 AM

I also have a '95. This has been an on-going problem in my car since the first day I bought it in '94. I'm not sure if this part would help me any, because, I too, thought there was something wrong with my ignition switch when I was experiencing these problems. In fact, the dealer checked my ignition signal with a computer scan tool, and it turned out that there was signal going to the starter, but no crankage! This meant my ignition switch was doing what it was supposed to do. It turned out that Nissan had numerous problems like these in their '95 and '96 models. But, it was the starters, not the ignition switch. But, maybe Nissan was wrong and overlooked something, like the switch assembly your referring to. I'm going to buy this part and see if it will cure my on-going problem. Good job on this discovery! I hope this works, because I'm on my 3rd starter now!