General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5sp shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 12:07 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has trouble downshifting their car into first after coming to a stop, or during a slow roll. I find my car having trouble and resisting downshifting into first gear when I come to a stop sign. I could push it in, but I feel like I'm hurting my car by forcing it like that because it usually just slides in. Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me?
Old 12-10-2000, 12:24 AM

To my knowledge, I've driven a lot of sticks and I believe...

It's a safety feature put in so you can't put it into first. If you're going like 10mph or something, it still should lock you out. You shouldn't have to use first to slow you down any, but I understand what you're saying... You just want to get it into first while keeping the clutch in, so when you stop, you can go quicker... I believe that's the way it just is.
Old 12-10-2000, 12:38 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Originally posted by cheapo
I was wondering if anyone here has trouble downshifting their car into first after coming to a stop, or during a slow roll. I find my car having trouble and resisting downshifting into first gear when I come to a stop sign. I could push it in, but I feel like I'm hurting my car by forcing it like that because it usually just slides in. Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me?
you down shift to 1st?! just d/s to neutral. brake. then go.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
you down shift to 1st?! just d/s to neutral. brake. then go.
Sorry if I confused you guys, but people here in Berkeley get mad at you if you make a full stop and start b!tch!ng at you when you do that. So by Berkeley rules of the road, all stops are to be rolled to avoid road rage. I downnshift when coming to the stop with the clutch down so that I can start faster (as PiotrC70 said).... not to help me stop. So this is normal then right?
Old 12-10-2000, 03:32 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you're going to hurt the car. if you try forcing it into 1st.

you can only safely put it into first if you're going like 15 mph with the clutch fully depressed...

really tho. try NOT to. you're asking for trouble..

although its not as good as going from 5th to 2nd by accident on a freeway (!!!) but its pretty harsh for the clutch...

Old 12-10-2000, 04:54 AM

second gear...

I only shift into first if I come to a dead stop. If i'm still rolling, second it is. The Nissan V6 has got plenty of torque.
Old 12-10-2000, 06:50 AM

I agree... there is plenty of torque to let you accelerate
out of second gear while you are rolling. Keep it 2nd
instead of d/s into 1st and your car will be much happier.
Old 12-10-2000, 07:49 AM
CFC

ahhhh...

thank you for answering that, I was wondering the same myself. I valet, so I've driven quite a few 5-spd.. and my max was the only car that I've experienced that downshift to 1st thing. Yall know of any other cars that have that feature?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2000, 12:46 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Yeah, the shift into 1st is a ******

Even at a dead stop... I've had too many times where the light turns green and i can't get the friggin tranny in first... gotta go back in neutral double pump then try again... Of course this is after the swearing... hehe..
Old 12-10-2000, 01:22 PM

Hmm

I mostly do rolling stops too, but slow ones. Around 5-8mph i can easily put her into 1st
Old 12-10-2000, 01:27 PM
My 4DSC

if your car is moving...

do not try to put it in first...
thats in ANY car...not just your Max.

Old 12-10-2000, 02:00 PM

really?

Hmm. My machanic always downshifts into 1st when he drives (like when hes driving my car to see whats wrong)... so why do u think its bad? Just curious
Old 12-10-2000, 02:24 PM

Re: really?

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Hmm. My machanic always downshifts into 1st when he drives (like when hes driving my car to see whats wrong)... so why do u think its bad? Just curious
It's hard on the syncro.
Old 12-10-2000, 02:51 PM

It isn't a particularly good idea to downshift into first while rolling on most cars - it is hard on the synchros. On the other hand, the Max should be able to do it gracefully. When I got mine I had to spend quite a bit of time readjusting my clutch as it seemed they did the adjustment without floor mats, so the pedal wouldn't go far enough down. Another thing that helps is if you learn to heel and toe well and do it by reflex.

Dave
Old 12-10-2000, 05:55 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here's my take. Downshifting into 1st is a bit hard from a roll because of it's safety lockout and stronger syncros. I rarely downshift to 1st from a roll unless it's absolutely needed. If I need 1st from a roll, I just try to match rev 1st to the car's speed. Usually, this opens up the gate and makes for a fairly easy shift.

Dave
Old 12-10-2000, 07:13 PM

My 95 Max also is hard to shift into 1st even at a roll of 5 mph. My 99 Max didn't have that problem. Do you think Redline tranny fluid or something would help? Problem is you're rolling and the light turns green and the Mustang GT next to you wants to give you a run but you're limited to 2nd gear-you lose!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2000, 07:40 PM

speaking of shifting..i want to know how to extent clutch life

does anyone in here match rev downshift? or even double clutch? i know double clutching is old fashioned for our trannies, but is it true that double clutching wears the clutch out faster? when i drive casually, i match rev downshift on turns. when i'm driving in sport mode, i do an improvised heel/toe downshift (because the stock pedals are not proper for standard heel/toe)for example, i match rev downshift from 5th to 4th, then heel/toe from 4th to 3rd on "soft" corners (lower gears on turns with more braking). finally i usually don't rev past 1,100 rpm on casual 1st gear standing starts (clutch likes to growl). anyway i was wondering how much wear and tear i'm adding when i do these techniques. shouldn't everyone drive like this?
Old 12-10-2000, 09:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: speaking of shifting..i want to know how to extent clutch life

Originally posted by VQdriver
does anyone in here match rev downshift? or even double clutch? i know double clutching is old fashioned for our trannies, but is it true that double clutching wears the clutch out faster? when i drive casually, i match rev downshift on turns. when i'm driving in sport mode, i do an improvised heel/toe downshift (because the stock pedals are not proper for standard heel/toe)for example, i match rev downshift from 5th to 4th, then heel/toe from 4th to 3rd on "soft" corners (lower gears on turns with more braking). finally i usually don't rev past 1,100 rpm on casual 1st gear standing starts (clutch likes to growl). anyway i was wondering how much wear and tear i'm adding when i do these techniques. shouldn't everyone drive like this?
Double clutching isn't needed on a syncronized tranny. It's more a display of talent than extending your trannies life. Match revving on a downshift is a very good thing to do, but it does time take to learn how to do it the right way. I'm still learning. Match revving reduces load on the engine, mounts, tranny, and clutch. If you're a autocross guy, learning how to do this the right way and fast will make your car perform much better and you'll keep your chassis stable. Just practice. Usually my problem is that I rev up a little too high for the next gear.

Dave
Old 12-11-2000, 06:40 AM

Not sure how many miles your looking for out of your clutch but my Maximas usually get 130k + w/o anything fancy except good shifting.
Old 12-11-2000, 08:12 AM
davis449

I have a 3rd gen and I used to slow down real slow before shifting into 1st because the car wouldn't let me, but ever since I replaced the 1st and 2nd gears in my car I notice that I can shift into 1st around 10 mph.

Old 12-11-2000, 02:09 PM

match reving?

whats that? The only thing i think it could be is your running at 3k revs, and shift into the next gear and keep the revs right at 3... is that it? If so, whys that help. Explain,

Thanks
Old 12-11-2000, 02:44 PM

Match revving...

Imagine you're driving along in 3rd gear at 40mph and you go to downshift into 2nd. Downshifting normally, you'll notice that the RPMs jump up when you go into the next lower gear. The engine acts like a brake. This creates stress on the clutch, transmission, motor mounts, cv joints and just about anything else you can imagine. People like to downshift while braking "because it's easier on the brakes" - BS! New pads are cheaper than a new clutch. When you match your revs, you depress the clutch and blip the throttle before you downshift so that the engine is already running at the proper rpms for the lower gear you're shifting into. This creates a smooth transition from gear to gear. Race car drivers do it so the car won't break loose on the downshift. Race engines typically have more compression and the act of letting out the clutch while downshifting into a lower gear without matching the revs may actually cause the drive wheels to lock up. Not desirable while going through a corner for example.