General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima vs. Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 11:53 AM
Green Machine

Here are the specs:

Maxima 97 GXE (190HP)
Camry 97 XLE (192HP)

Off the line which is faster? I want to know because my friend has a "club camry" as he calls it and I think I can take him in my Maxima...anyone ever raced these two? I'm guessing his is a touch heavier because he has leather and crome rims...cloth and hubbies in the max? ANy ideas?

Old 12-10-2000, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Green Machine
Here are the specs:

Maxima 97 GXE (190HP)
Camry 97 XLE (192HP)

Off the line which is faster? I want to know because my friend has a "club camry" as he calls it and I think I can take him in my Maxima...anyone ever raced these two? I'm guessing his is a touch heavier because he has leather and crome rims...cloth and hubbies in the max? ANy ideas?

Maxima no doubt.
I raced camrys and they are not that fast
unless they are 5speeds
Old 12-10-2000, 12:05 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by yongjun
Maxima no doubt.
I raced camrys and they are not that fast
unless they are 5speeds
almost the same case with the maxima.
Old 12-10-2000, 05:05 PM

My mom has a V-6 Camry and from my driving experiences with her car, the Max will kill the Camry auto or stick.
Old 12-10-2000, 07:27 PM

Are you auto or 5 speed? If you are 5-speed, no problem...

Old 12-11-2000, 04:36 AM
tan_camry

Stick versus stick, it's a toss-up (Depends on the driver). Auto versus Auto, Maxima wins. The Camry/Avalon/Sienna/ES300 transmission is designed for smooth shifts. So each shift takes longer (Avalon retards the timing during each shift), thus why the Toyotas are slower.

Old 12-11-2000, 04:57 AM
OG :)

Originally posted by Green Machine
Here are the specs:

Maxima 97 GXE (190HP)
Camry 97 XLE (192HP)

same cars nearly.
Old 12-11-2000, 07:04 AM

heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

this was made this weekend on stock bridgestone tires that came with the car (crappy) and my only engine mod was an intake...

I got it on video but need to make it into an .mpg an post it. I will ASAP for the non-believers.

Old 12-11-2000, 07:48 AM

Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

Nice time, but that is in Dec. and from what the slip says the temp F was 0. Nice weather for a fast run with an air intake. Do you have any slips from the summer to show the difference? As for me they close my track in the winter so I can not see how much I would benefit from the colder weather.

Originally posted by gLok
this was made this weekend on stock bridgestone tires that came with the car (crappy) and my only engine mod was an intake...

I got it on video but need to make it into an .mpg an post it. I will ASAP for the non-believers.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:07 AM
davis449

Bring the Camry's on! I will spank any stock Camry 5spd or auto. I have a '93 SE 5spd with 111,000 miles on it and I know how to drive it. I spank my sister's auto V6 XLE with 50,000 miles all the time (that's with a friend of mine who also knows how to drive in her car). Check the stats. Find any article on a stick Maxima and they say it's a better tranny and engine. Best V6 how many years now? Camry's are only the best selling cars because rental lots like to buy them.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:11 AM

Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

I also just noticed that you have a carbon fiber hood, and what might be light weigh rims. Did you have these on at the track too. No fair weight reduction, that adds to your mods that will improve your time, should disclose that if it was on your car.

Originally posted by gLok

Old 12-11-2000, 08:13 AM

Re: Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

Originally posted by Victim64
Nice time, but that is in Dec. and from what the slip says the temp F was 0. Nice weather for a fast run with an air intake. Do you have any slips from the summer to show the difference? As for me they close my track in the winter so I can not see how much I would benefit from the colder weather.
I live in south florida.....the temp was 78 or so and very humid. An air intake thats sucking hot air from the engine compartment. My stock airbox should net better times. We will see
Old 12-11-2000, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

I also just noticed that you have a carbon fiber hood, and what might be light weigh rims. Did you have these on at the track too. No fair weight reduction, that adds to your mods that will improve your time, should disclose that if it was on your car.
Every 100 lbs makes you a tenth of a second faster...

My hood saves a whole 50-60 lbs. My rims are the stock alloy 15" rims with the stock bridgestone tires that came on the car from off the lot.

Okay so you know here are all my mods....

intake,eibach springs,TRD short shifter,CF hood,stock slipping clutch, no spare, good driver

sorry for misleading you

BTW my intake is actually making my car slower as it wasnt made for my car. We will see what happens when i run the stock airbox.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:32 AM

14.9 is pretty good for Camry..

I thought they were much slower than that, I know 2000 Max stock 5-speed ran I think 14.9-14.8... But it got much more HP though...

Old 12-11-2000, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

[/I][/QUOTE]

[/I][/QUOTE]

No actually this depends on where the weight is placed at in your car. If you have a front wheel drive car and the weight is in the trunk, then this will make a bigger difference than if it was in the front seat. I had about a 90lb speaker box in my trunk and when it was removed I managed to take of about 2 to 3 tenths of a second in my 1/8 mile time. Since the weight is removed from your hood, it shouldn't be that much difference. I still think it was a good run, and am not trying to take anything away from you. So what about the rims I saw in another picture you posted, are they for show??

Old 12-11-2000, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

[/I][/QUOTE]

No actually this depends on where the weight is placed at in your car. If you have a front wheel drive car and the weight is in the trunk, then this will make a bigger difference than if it was in the front seat. I had about a 90lb speaker box in my trunk and when it was removed I managed to take of about 2 to 3 tenths of a second in my 1/8 mile time. Since the weight is removed from your hood, it shouldn't be that much difference. I still think it was a good run, and am not trying to take anything away from you. So what about the rims I saw in another picture you posted, are they for show??

[/I][/QUOTE]

Your right. I also noticed a big difference with trunk weight removed ( two rims in the back when i went to the tire shop )

The other rims are 17"s and they are heavy! The best i could run with them was a 15.3 but the launch was no good. The stockers seem to do a lot better for me.
Old 12-11-2000, 09:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: heres a time slip for a v6 5 speed camry...

Yeah, I want to get some rims that weigh less than my stock 15's, or at least no more. Been looking at the SSR Integrals. Heard the 18" were only 18lbs. not sure though

[/I][/QUOTE]
The other rims are 17"s and they are heavy! The best i could run with them was a 15.3 but the launch was no good. The stockers seem to do a lot better for me. [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2000, 01:21 PM

If you wanna see more slips go here....these were my runs for the night minus a few messups....

http://www.legacytuning.com/slips/

You can see that my times dont differ too much but my MPH and 60 foots do....weird
Old 12-11-2000, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by davis449
Bring the Camry's on! I will spank any stock Camry 5spd or auto. I have a '93 SE 5spd with 111,000 miles on it and I know how to drive it. I spank my sister's auto V6 XLE with 50,000 miles all the time (that's with a friend of mine who also knows how to drive in her car). Check the stats. Find any article on a stick Maxima and they say it's a better tranny and engine. Best V6 how many years now? Camry's are only the best selling cars because rental lots like to buy them.

That's such a one sided view. Of course a 5-spd Maxima will beat an automatic Camry. But we're talking comparing apples to apples here. Automatic Maxima is even with automatic camry, and the same applies for 5-spd models.

Camry is the best selling car because it is a good family sedan. It is a smooth, refined sedan, almost like a Lexus ES300. The styling might not be as nice as Lexus, but the quality and workmanship is there.

I know this is a Maxima BBS, but man, all this generalizing about "Maxima is the best" and "every other car sucks" has gotta stop. I like my Maxima, but I admit there are other cars in its class that are better than the Maxima in categories other than handling.

Old 12-11-2000, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by davis449
Don't think so there. I ran 14.9 @ 92 completely stock. If I were still stock, I'd accept your challenge. Of course, I'll still race, but I don't think it'll be quite fair with my current setup.

-Tiem
Old 12-11-2000, 02:45 PM

The Maxima is one of, or the best selling v6 Sedan. The camary sells more becuase it also can be had in a 4cycl, like the accord. I think on a all v6 basis, last time I checked, Maxima sold the most, over honda and toyota. I'm not saying its the best car in the world, just thought I'd bring it up.

Old 12-11-2000, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
The Maxima is one of, or the best selling v6 Sedan. The camary sells more becuase it also can be had in a 4cycl, like the accord. I think on a all v6 basis, last time I checked, Maxima sold the most, over honda and toyota. I'm not saying its the best car in the world, just thought I'd bring it up.

HELL YEAH i rarely see a V6 camry on the streets...i like it though cause it makes my car even more rare.

Plus my car is debadged to look like a 4 banger...i always catch accords with that...only difference on the outside between a V6 and a 4 banger is that lil v6 badge.

We were saying this exact thing in another thread...
Old 12-11-2000, 03:21 PM

Damn, this thing about camarys adn maximas are never going to end. Sheesh. Anyways, i personally think that the max and the camary is very equal. I havent lost to one yet but they are pretty much the same damn car. I mean HP for HP and time slip wise and $$$. I credit both companys for making good cars. Maybe we should have a battle of the camarys vs maximas.
Old 12-11-2000, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Damn, this thing about camarys adn maximas are never going to end. Sheesh. Anyways, i personally think that the max and the camary is very equal. I havent lost to one yet but they are pretty much the same damn car. I mean HP for HP and time slip wise and $$$. I credit both companys for making good cars. Maybe we should have a battle of the camarys vs maximas.
Haha, I'd be there! Hell, make it Toyota vs Nissan...some of those Z guys just don't believe how powerful the Supra is. There are plenty of 10 and 11-sec daily driven Supras; last I heard, SGP only managed to make it to the 10's with their RACE Z.

-Tiem
Old 12-11-2000, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Yeah the camry vs. maximuh will keep going.

Lets have a battle. Like i said i wanna run a maximuh at the track. I live in florida and can make it to DESOTO in tampa or MOROSO in west palm just the same. I need some comp to make things fun
Old 12-11-2000, 05:07 PM

bull****!

If your car has a slipping clutch you just verrified how bad that car is! How can a new car have a slipping clutch already? If that air intake doens't do anything for your car, why do you have it; to confuse people with the 'growl' into thinking your car is a RUSTANG? Honestly, if it doesn't make power, why do you have it?

Seriously...why come to this list and stir the pot...you car sucks man! Camrys aren't sporty at all...they area a major grocery-getter. Even in TRD fashion they look only 'allright' at very best! That damn TRD super charger only knocks off .8sec.....woopie!

SHUMAX
Old 12-11-2000, 05:19 PM
is invisible

Ignorance...

is bliss.
Old 12-11-2000, 08:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: ********!

Originally posted by shumax
Seriously...why come to this list and stir the pot...you car sucks man! Camrys aren't sporty at all...they area a major grocery-getter. Even in TRD fashion they look only 'allright' at very best! That damn TRD super charger only knocks off .8sec.....woopie!

SHUMAX
remember looks are subjective... and if you think the max is a very sporty looking car, u better think again.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:17 AM

Re: ********!

Originally posted by shumax
If your car has a slipping clutch you just verified how bad that car is! How can a new car have a slipping clutch already? If that air intake doens't do anything for your car, why do you have it; to confuse people with the 'growl' into thinking your car is a RUSTANG? Honestly, if it doesn't make power, why do you have it?

Its not the car its the driver/s. Two people learned to drive stick on my car not inculding me. I also drive very hard and admit i have "abused" the clutch. After all of the extremely hard abuse it stills managed to get me a 14.9. If you check my 60 foot time you can tell that with a good clutch i would be even faster. Oh but you dont know anything about that huh....OH i was looking at your pics and it seems you better check your tranny, it looks like there is a leak

I put the intake on the day i bought the car, in my haste to do mods i didnt realize it was messing up the car by not having the correct connections. ( it was made for my old car an acura legend )

I didnt stir the pot. If i was gonna stir the pot i would make my own post. I havent made my own post yet. I simply responded to posts already made. I came on here and there were posts about camrys, i own a camry so i am simply the voice for camry owners. I have never dissed your car so why must you diss mine. If you dont like it thats fine, just expect me to respond and dont be suprised and get mad when i do!

Where did you get the .8 comment from? Im sure once i put mine on i will get AT LEAST a second or more improvement on my particular car.

Old 12-12-2000, 08:13 AM

dumb..dumb, dumb!

GLOC...go home! That isn't a leak, it was when the moron at the dealer spilled tranny fluid all over the car and I didn't clean it for 5k.
Again...your car isn't bad, nor is it good. ITs a decent car for a decent price doing decent things. Sure, the Maxima isn't sporty COOLMAX, but its a LOT sportier than a Camry..jesus, come on! Is it sportier than an S2000? Your on Crack if you thought I meant that!

Good luck with that decent car GLOC and thanks for checking out my photos....

SHUMAX