General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Heading to college and need to prep the max for sitting at home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 04:05 PM

Heading to college and need to prep the max for sitting at home...

Well, I head to Cornell in 30 some days and I'm not taking the max with me. It will be sitting at home and will be driven basically only when I fly home for holidays and such. So, I was wondering what I could do to prepare the max for sitting for so long. Change the oil, check tire pressures, wash and wax car, and cover car are all the ideas I have right now. Anyone else have some good ideas that will keep my max in tip top shape for when I come home and need it?
Old 07-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

make sure either someone drives it every once in a while orrrr diconnect your battery and keep it sheltered if possible.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

no one can drive it around the block once a week for you?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:07 PM

I'm leaving for a college in a few weeks too and can't take my car. I'm just having my dad drive it to work once a week to keep from sitting.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Be sure to have a battery trickle charger. If the car isn't used for a whole month without one, I think the battery's electrodes could be totally dead.

Also, there's an additive to the oil or fuel, forgot which one, which is specifically made to store your vehicle for extended periods of time. Go to your local auto parts store for more info.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I might get my mom to drive it a couple times a month, maybe even get the oil changed every 3 months. If I'm lucky, my dad will take pity on me and wash it for me every once in a while.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:02 PM

How about selling it? Since you hardly going to drive it anyway.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:01 AM

Re: Heading to college and need to prep the max for sitting at home...

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
Well, I head to Cornell in 30 some days and I'm not taking the max with me. It will be sitting at home and will be driven basically only when I fly home for holidays and such. So, I was wondering what I could do to prepare the max for sitting for so long. Change the oil, check tire pressures, wash and wax car, and cover car are all the ideas I have right now. Anyone else have some good ideas that will keep my max in tip top shape for when I come home and need it?
Depending on crime rate, put it up on blocks (but easier to steal your rims). Also have full tank of gas (so less air in tank to condense with temp changes), and you can add a fuel stabilizer (AutoZone, etc...) to keep fuel fresher. Change coolant so crap doesn't settle anywhere you don't want it to (like rust/scale). Have someone air it out once in awhile so your interior won't get funky. Put a good protectant over all interior vinyl, leather, and plastic to help keep it from fading/cracking (3M Refresh Vinyl and Leather Protectant is excellent. It's a lotion with a sunscreen in varying scents. I'd put it on thick). If fabric seats, some type of fabric protectant to keep it from dying/fading/tearing (use on carpet and rear package shelf). Don't forget a good protectant for the tires, and exterior trim (rubber seals, plastic stuff, etc). Disconnect the battery. Have someone wash it every month or so. Personally, I'd try real hard to find someone to drive it about once a week. Other people probably have some more ideas, too. Good luck in school.

Dave
Old 07-20-2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
How about selling it? Since you hardly going to drive it anyway.
I've thought of this, but with the money I could possibly get from selling it ($4000) I wouldn't be able to buy a car that I know so much about (I have every mantainence record including the original window sticker) and looks and runs so good for $4000. Plus the car has some paint chips, a chip in the windshield and needs new struts, so I doubt I could even get $4000. I'd love to get something a little more fun to drive though (aka a Sentra SE-R or an Integra ), so I might have to have my parents sell the max while I'm away and look for something fun to buy me.