General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New tires again! This time what a fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 05:56 PM

New tires again! This time what a fiasco!

This is how my story goes. I bought Michelin MXV4+'s last week and they were crap. They rode very nicely yes, but they couldnt handle or grip for anything. I got the store I bought them from (BJ's Wholesale Club) to return the old ones and let me order new ones. I got BFGoodrich GForce TA kdws (the all season) tires. From the specs and feedback on tirerack.com, they looked perfect. Ontop of that, they were even cheaper then the Michelins. At first they said I didnt have to pay for the special order ones, so I said OK. Then I got a call yesterday that I WOULD have to pay for them. So I went in, and they refunded the money of the old tires and charged for the new tires. So I'm like what was the point of that.

Anyway today I get a call saying my tires are here. I go in and go to get them put on. As usual bad luck finds me. I hear from them that they could not get the tires to seat the rim, cause they were the "wrong size" and because of the stiff sidewall. Gee, I've had 225's on my rims before. And, BFG's specs say it fits a 6"-8" rim, where mine is a 6.5" rim. I also know the BriGuyMax here has the same tires on the same rim. I look outside and I see one guy beating on the tire with a rubber hammer, and then another guy bouncing my tire on the floor. They took me into the service bay to show me what they were doing. We were all staring at this one tire on the rim clamp with the bead 1/2 hanging off of it, and then all of the sudden it magically went POP and the tire seated. After that for the next 2 hours they kept on trying to get the rim seated to the rim with no luck. They even took the 1/2 mounted tires, put them on the car and drove the slalom around in the parking lot to try to seat them. No luck.

So next solution...one of the tire guy puts my rims in the back of his truck and asks if I want to go for a ride. I say sure. I get in, and we drive to.... the tire shop on the other side of town who does alot of sports car and custom wheels tires. This time they greased the tire instead of using soap to lube it, and then they connected it to a compressor. They probably put 120 PSI of air in there to get them to seat, but they got the tires to seat. Thank god! The guy drives me back to BJ's, I go in and buy milk and watermelon for my mom. At this point it was 4 hours later. Good lord.

After I took my first drive... WOW these tires are phenomenal. Just as promised, low noise but these things grip like crazy. I did the slalom and I dont think i've pushed the car that hard before without the tires breaking loose. Ahh yeah. The ride is still compliant and comfortable (to me) so this is probably the best bang for the buck tire ever. 400 AA A rating should mean it'll last forever too.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: New tires again! This time what a fiasco!

Did BriGuyMax recommend them to you??? I told him about those KWDS's b/c they are a awesome tire. I have them on my car and they are awesome in the dry and a HUGE improvement in the rain. For the money IMO these are probably the best performance all seasons you can buy.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:09 PM

they are idiots. they could have saved you a lot of time by using the proper amount of lube the first time. instead of using the airlines on the mounting machines they should have used a higher pressure line, i.e. the direct from the air gun hose to you tire. there is well over 120 psi in those lines. most mounting machines are set at a 60-80psi limit. any way glad to see you got your tires and that you are happy with them.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:03 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

do you ever wonder if this particular Maxima is worth all the hell you go through with every single detail?

you have much more patience and tolerance than me.....the Minima would have taken a long ride off a short cliff.....
Old 07-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

SELLL!!! SELL NOW!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 08:47 PM

i love reading ericdwong threads...
Old 07-24-2002, 09:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man, if it's not one thing....

Old 07-24-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
i love reading ericdwong threads...
My thought exactly. True entertainment...
Old 07-24-2002, 11:33 PM

Nobody recommended me these tires, after I got the energy's and I was dissapointed, I had to find out what BJ's carried. They only carry Michelin brand tires (Uniroyal, BFG). It also needed these qualitications: price around the old tires, good traction (straightline and cornering) and response, wet and dry and hopefully snow as it does snow around here. It also can't have some joke 150 treadware rating, and must ride somewhat decently. But most importantly, it MUST be quiet. I HATE loud tires. I did some reseach courtesy of Tire Rack and I found the perfect tire. The KDWS. Excellent excellent tire. I had to compromise ZERO on "all the above" with this tire. Its very rare this happens. The tire above that that excludes the snow is the KDW (dry and wet), but it is about $50 more expensive each tire AND is commented as VERY NOISY, no no no!

As for selling, i'd love to, however I've got more important priorities on my mind now, like school and investing. I also hate the notion of debt or financing. Alot of my friends are buying new vehicles thats $20k-$30k. Sure it might be great instant satisfaction, but that car payment thats $400-$550 a month for 5-7 years really blows. My car was paid for in cash so thats one less payment to make and I want to keep it that way.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Nobody recommended me these tires, after I got the energy's and I was dissapointed, I had to find out what BJ's carried. They only carry Michelin brand tires (Uniroyal, BFG). It also needed these qualitications: price around the old tires, good traction (straightline and cornering) and response, wet and dry and hopefully snow as it does snow around here. It also can't have some joke 150 treadware rating, and must ride somewhat decently. But most importantly, it MUST be quiet. I HATE loud tires. I did some reseach courtesy of Tire Rack and I found the perfect tire. The KDWS. Excellent excellent tire. I had to compromise ZERO on "all the above" with this tire. Its very rare this happens. The tire above that that excludes the snow is the KDW (dry and wet), but it is about $50 more expensive each tire AND is commented as VERY NOISY, no no no!

As for selling, i'd love to, however I've got more important priorities on my mind now, like school and investing. I also hate the notion of debt or financing. Alot of my friends are buying new vehicles thats $20k-$30k. Sure it might be great instant satisfaction, but that car payment thats $400-$550 a month for 5-7 years really blows. My car was paid for in cash so thats one less payment to make and I want to keep it that way.
i could have told u mot to get the MXV+.. they are absolute crap.. considering i have them.. and i had no grip from the start.. i have 40% tread left and my tire feels bald.. it sucks...
Old 07-25-2002, 12:32 AM

congratz on the new tires... i still cna't go over that crazy burnout u did.. thas some crazy ish.. how you like your tranny? my car might need a new tranny soon.. i'm not sure if i wanna go over to the dark side or just get a rebuild.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:37 AM

So how was the watermelon ?!

This story is almost as good as my 4.5 hour oil change on my truck !